Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AW4 shift kit

Default AW4 shift kit

Just wondering if anyone has seen such a part. I found an A340/ AW4 custom valve body for 500 bucks, no thanks.

Don't suppose these electronic trannies have a separator plate you can drill out or some such?

Mine's really loafing between shifts.. it's having a hard time with the torque I believe.

Ask me about my taint

My AW4 shift kit is 3 neon green plastic zip ties. The tranny cable that connects to the throttle can be tightened by pulling out some of the slack in it after it connects to the TB. I couldn't even beleive this worked, but it did.
    POS DSM.

EAD. Cuz you are what you eat!

from what i've heard, they can be bult to handle 9 second quarter miles. they ARE the same trans used in toyota supras IIRC
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    ML Headers - 3" FM70 catback - Vortech Blower - Stillen Brakes - Ported Kegger - SCT Tuned - Addco & Hellwig Sways - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - E-Codes w/ 55W Bi-Xenons

WOW.. JeepSpeed, please explain more about the zip ties, because my linkage has slack in it.. Does it firm up the shifts or what? Im trying this tomarrow morning!!! :rob:
    '97 4x4, 4.0/AW4
    2" BB, 30x9.5 Kumho M/T's on Cragar Soft 8's (15x7).
    Transfercase drop.
    Baja Fog Lights.
    Rustys Intake w/ TB spacer.
    Hi-flow converter and Super 40 Flowmaster.
    Krylon'd trim.

And for some speed... '00 Mustang GT.. :burnzout:

Afternoon Delight

Quote Originally Posted by saleen4971
    from what i've heard, they can be bult to handle 9 second quarter miles. they ARE the same trans used in toyota supras IIRC

most of the really fast supras use a chevy 700r4 tranny
    05 WK Laredo

Formerly-
    01 Mercedes E320
    97 Wrangler Sport- 4"/33"
    98 5.9 cammed and stalled, 304 rwhp
    99 Camaro

Registered

Mine has a little over 200K on it and it shifts great. Even barked my 33x12.50 BFG MTs hitting second the other day lol.
    97 XJ 4.6L RE 5.5, 33x12.50 BFG MTs, Locked 8.8, 4.56s, D30 Tru-Trac. Cut fenders, Custom Front bumper and Durango Rear Bumper.

Wow.. I wish mine would bark 2nd, did you use the zip-tie trick or what? Im off to try this right now.

Edit.. Nevermind, I just saw that you had a 4.6.. had my hopes up for a minut.
    '97 4x4, 4.0/AW4
    Transfercase drop.
    Baja Fog Lights.
    Krylon'd trim.

I've got the cable set as aggressively as possible. I never drove this trans before I put it behind the 401, so maybe it's getting tired.

Did the zip tie thing, put 3 small ones on with a little slack left, shifts REALLY fast with a nice little kick. I just finished taking up all the slack, now its time to test if it will bark 2nd.. This is the coolest free-mod ever.
    '97 4x4, 4.0/AW4
    Transfercase drop.
    Baja Fog Lights.
    Krylon'd trim.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by saleen4971
    I'm not very familiar with the Supra scene, but unless people are swapping AW-4's into their Supras, they're not running them. The N/A Supras from 86-98 ran A340E's while the 93-98 Turbos ran A341E's.

After spending so much time driving my built 46re, I just started driving the '93 again and MANNN does that AW-4 shift SOOO soft and slow. I'm not sure how much longer I can hold back until I yank it out and build the crap out of it
    '02 Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG
    R.I.P

'98 Platinum Grand Cherokee 5.9 Ltd.
    Soon to be supercharged...

Rebuilt 360 .020'' over, increasd CR | Ported heads | MP windage tray | Ported M-1 | 210x cam | 1.65 rollers | Ported stock tb | K&N FIPK w/custom ram/true cold air | Mopar Headers | Mopar PCM | Jacobs 8.5 wires | Modified CKP sensor for 2-3* timing | APS 2,800 Converter | ASP crank pulley | Built 46re w/Transgo | Addco sways | Energy poly bushings | H&R springs | 18" Cobra R's | 265/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sports | Slotted rotors | Hawk race pads | more crap I'm prob forgetting

'03 Buell Firebolt XB9R

Race kit (muffler, filter, ecu)

Ask me about my taint

Quote Originally Posted by qwik59
    I'm not very familiar with the Supra scene, but unless people are swapping AW-4's into their Supras, they're not running them. The N/A Supras from 86-98 ran A340E's while the 93-98 Turbos ran A341E's.

Haha, qwik, my man, you know your 5.9's, but not your AW4s. That is another name for pretty much the exact same Aisin Warner tranny. I don't remember what exactley, but I think it just has a slightly different valve body or the like. Somebody slap me if I'm wrong.
    POS DSM.

Ask me about my taint

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4oh
    Did the zip tie thing, put 3 small ones on with a little slack left, shifts REALLY fast with a nice little kick. I just finished taking up all the slack, now its time to test if it will bark 2nd.. This is the coolest free-mod ever.

Hahah, you're welcome. Yeah, I thought that too. It really wakes it up, and the total cost was 3 zip ties I had in the back anyway. I doubt this mod gives you the full benefit of a proper kit however, as in reduced tranny heat and wear from the quicker shifts. Either way, I'll take it.
    POS DSM.

I ended up using 3 small zips.. and 1 big one, I just want it to scratch 2nd so bad though.. I think I have an obsession with that.. oh well.
    '97 4x4, 4.0/AW4
    Transfercase drop.
    Baja Fog Lights.
    Krylon'd trim.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepspeed
    Haha, qwik, my man, you know your 5.9's, but not your AW4s. That is another name for pretty much the exact same Aisin Warner tranny. I don't remember what exactley, but I think it just has a slightly different valve body or the like. Somebody slap me if I'm wrong.

There ya go, haha, j/k, I saw that smiley and just HAD to do it, I'm not gonna lie, I'm really not that familiar with AW-4's, Supras, or their trannies. Just noticed they have different #'s. It's prob like the 44re vs. 44rh vs. 46re, etc.
    '02 Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG
    R.I.P

'98 Platinum Grand Cherokee 5.9 Ltd.
    Soon to be supercharged...

Rebuilt 360 .020'' over, increasd CR | Ported heads | MP windage tray | Ported M-1 | 210x cam | 1.65 rollers | Ported stock tb | K&N FIPK w/custom ram/true cold air | Mopar Headers | Mopar PCM | Jacobs 8.5 wires | Modified CKP sensor for 2-3* timing | APS 2,800 Converter | ASP crank pulley | Built 46re w/Transgo | Addco sways | Energy poly bushings | H&R springs | 18" Cobra R's | 265/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sports | Slotted rotors | Hawk race pads | more crap I'm prob forgetting

'03 Buell Firebolt XB9R

Race kit (muffler, filter, ecu)

Ask me about my taint

Quote Originally Posted by qwik59
    There ya go, haha, j/k, I saw that smiley and just HAD to do it, I'm not gonna lie, I'm really not that familiar with AW-4's, Supras, or their trannies. Just noticed they have different #'s. It's prob like the 44re vs. 44rh vs. 46re, etc.

Haha, see, there ya go, all those 4's and r's don't mean much to me. We each have our strengths.
    POS DSM.

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by XJ4oh
    Wow.. I wish mine would bark 2nd, did you use the zip-tie trick or what? Im off to try this right now.

Edit.. Nevermind, I just saw that you had a 4.6.. had my hopes up for a minut.
    Nope, no zip tie trick. Just the 200,000 miles of proper maintanence mod .

The 4.6 probably doesn't hurt either. It had to be a freak deal, its locked in the rear with a 33x12.50 BFG Mud Terrain.
    97 XJ 4.6L RE 5.5, 33x12.50 BFG MTs, Locked 8.8, 4.56s, D30 Tru-Trac. Cut fenders, Custom Front bumper and Durango Rear Bumper.

So I take that as a no.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobs
    So I take that as a no.

check out level 10, maybe they have something?

www.levelten.com
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    ML Headers - 3" FM70 catback - Vortech Blower - Stillen Brakes - Ported Kegger - SCT Tuned - Addco & Hellwig Sways - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - E-Codes w/ 55W Bi-Xenons

Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepspeed
    My AW4 shift kit is 3 neon green plastic zip ties. The tranny cable that connects to the throttle can be tightened by pulling out some of the slack in it after it connects to the TB. I couldn't even beleive this worked, but it did.
    If I understand, you pulled the cable through the black plastic connector and then put the zip ties on the cable. The ties don't connect the cable to anything else, they just act as a spacer between the plastic connector and the end metal crimp on the cable. Is this right??
    99 xj, some mods
    free JUOT2k8, its teh right thing tew dew:idmo:

I have no idea why since its not supposed to make a difference, but on my 95 with the AW4 it shifts quicker and firmer in 3 than in the D setting. Its not supposed to make a difference but it really does in mine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast