Thread: Paint cracking!

Default Paint cracking!

My buddy has a jeep that he wants me to try and sell (since I just sold mine) and after looking at it I noticed that it has tiny little cracks (looks like tiny little crows feet) all over the hood. You can't even notice them from a distance, but if you get right up close (6 inches) you can see them all over. It is an 01 and has never been painted. Anyone else have this? He said that he just noticed them after going to a new car wash. He is worried that the chemicals in the wash might have done it. Anybody know?

If it's a blaxk Jeep , they come that way from the factory, Dealers will blame it on bird droppings, acid rain and tree sap. I have had 2 since 97 and both had the problem, the 2001 was like that on the lot.
    1988 yj, LS1 corvette engine, d60 front and rear with detriots, 37" trxu's, allied beadlocks.

Registered

I dobut the chemicals caused it. You probably just couldn't see the cracks because it was dirty. There are others with the exact same issue. Do a search on here and you will find numerous posts about it. Only fix is to repaint the hood.
    2004 Black Rubicon w/ 5 spd

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch

Quote Originally Posted by dillon23
    My buddy has a jeep that he wants me to try and sell (since I just sold mine) and after looking at it I noticed that it has tiny little cracks (looks like tiny little crows feet) all over the hood. You can't even notice them from a distance, but if you get right up close (6 inches) you can see them all over. It is an 01 and has never been painted. Anyone else have this? He said that he just noticed them after going to a new car wash. He is worried that the chemicals in the wash might have done it. Anybody know?
    You see this on most TJ '98, '99,'00, '01's, etc.. Spidering of the clearcoat.
    No, not from "chemicals in the wash" .

Starting to get the "cracks" on my 02 Patriot Blue...

do a search on here there are a bunch of posts about this...its called "paint crazing".

Thanks, It is black, so I guess it's just one of those jeep things.

Sucks...DC is well aware of this problem yet won't warranty it. BTDT :furious:

123456789101112 13141516171819202122 2324252627282930313233

Strange. I have a black 98....one of the few things not wrong with it is the paint (except where I have had to touch up).