Thread: Front TJ driveshaft in YJ ?

Registered

Question Front TJ driveshaft in YJ ?

Hello
    Could I use a front TJ double cardan driveshaft in a YJ?
    Do they use the same size u joints and yokes?
    What would I have to do to make it fit and work...

Thanks for info.

For the front or rear w/ a SYE?
    John Swink
    Bob Supplee (405) 799-8977 or supplee4wd@sbcglobal.net
    Don't take yourself so seriouslly, nobody else does...

Registered

Sorry, forgot about that.

For the front.

You'll need to swap in a CV yoke on the front too. And get the auto tranny drive shaft, the manual one is 2.5" diameter
    John Swink

Registered

Ok, so the yoke from a 231 TJ and YJ is the same spline count and it will swap?

Can I use a manual one, if I can't find auto DS?

Thanks

Registered

I've got two of those front yokes for sale to run a CV front shaft. You may need a different seal, one for the TJ or XJ application. I'd take a lot less than what they cost new. bountyhunter@sija.org . These front output yokes came off of TJ or XJ NP231's.

And I use a shortened XJ front CV shaft in the rear of my YJ.
    95 YJ 2.5L
    '89 MJ 2.5L
    '05 WK 5.7L

Remember;
    Friends Don't let friends-
    Drive Trackers

Southern Illinois Jeep Association

Quote Originally Posted by 93WHITEYJ
    Ok, so the yoke from a 231 TJ and YJ is the same spline count and it will swap?

Can I use a manual one, if I can't find auto DS?

Thanks

You can as long as you have clearance. I got one that I traded a TJ guy a XJ shaft for. It was such a tight fit after he went to an auto that it was slowly machining itself down.
    John Swink

Quote Originally Posted by TRL RDE
    I've got two of those front yokes for sale to run a CV front shaft. You may need a different seal, one for the TJ or XJ application. I'd take a lot less than what they cost new. bountyhunter@sija.org . These front output yokes came off of TJ or XJ NP231's.

And I use a shortened XJ front CV shaft in the rear of my YJ.
    I'll take one of those yokes.
    also, RatherBeJeeping, you say the auto driveshaft from a TJ is larger diameter.. I think this IS right, is that the same for an auto on an XJ? are XJ & TJ front shafts the same length?
    1995 YJ / 2001 Shadow ACE
    There's logic behind this madness
    Your Ignorance is My Job Security

No, the auto driveshaft is 2" .120 wall instead of the 2.5" diameter of the manual trans front shaft. Never seen an XJ shaft that large of diameter, so I'd say it's a TJ thing only.
    Length vary with so many variables I can't really say if any are the same length.
    John Swink

so wouldnt the 2.5 shaft be better... ? I'm so lost for reasoning here. sorry ;-\

Here is another one ??? Is the front d-shaft off an XJ longer the the front D-shaft from a YJ???

the larger diameter makes it somewhat stronger, but more easily damaged while wheeling. then if you want to retube it for something thicker you'll have a harder time getting it done. Just for the record all the big names in the 4x4 world of driveshaft building use 2" also.

And for Nick, yes and no. It's going to depend on what you have for engine and transmission combo's. You'd need to swap to a CV yoke on the front to use an XJ or TJ shaft up there too.
    John Swink

Registered

Don't forget that the TJ uses a low pinion D30. This is why they have a CV front shaft. A correctly setup TJ will have the front pinion pointed straight at the CV yoke to keep the pinion side joint operating at a 0* angle.

A YJ with the HP D30 is designed to have the pinion pointed paralel to the TC output to keep matching operating angles on the pinion and TC ujoints.

If you continue to use the vac disonect or install locking hubs the u-joint angles arent all that important (because of the low speed only driving). But, if you install TJ shafts with the TJ CV drive shaft you will probably get some drive shaft vibes at speed.

MP
    '89 YJ - 4.2HO MPI - York OBA - NV3550 - D300 4:1 - 4.88 - D30/shaved CHP 9" - ARB's - 3-link front/4-link rear on Bilstein 9100's

Quote Originally Posted by RatherBeJeeping
    the larger diameter makes it somewhat stronger, but more easily damaged while wheeling. then if you want to retube it for something thicker you'll have a harder time getting it done. Just for the record all the big names in the 4x4 world of driveshaft building use 2" also.

And for Nick, yes and no. It's going to depend on what you have for engine and transmission combo's. You'd need to swap to a CV yoke on the front to use an XJ or TJ shaft up there too.
    OOh yeah forgot to specify that. So the XJ with 6 cylinder front d-shaft is the same length as a front d-shaft from a YJ with 6 cyclinder? Correct??