Thread: Auto Shutdown Relay fuse keeps blowing

Registered

Default Auto Shutdown Relay fuse keeps blowing

Any ideas on why this fuse would keep blowing, and only when the vehicle comes to a complete stop. This is the 20A fuse in the Power Distribution Center next to the battery. Looks like it supplies power to the ignition coil, fuel injectors and O2 sensors. It will run for ever while idling in Park or at freeway speeds, but when you come to a stop sometimes this fuse blows. Went through 10 fuses yesterday getting it off the trail and to a friends house.

You most likely have a wire shorting out that is grounded....somewhere.

Have fun finding it. Can't help you there.

Start looking in the wire harnesses going to the O2 sensors. They have a tendency to stick to the exhaust and melt the plastic insulation off.

No need to replace the harness once you find the burnt wire, just wrap with elec tape and secure it awaya from the exhaust.
    Life happens, then you go running

Registered

I know this thread is kind of old, but I found this thread doing a search. My 1997 5.2 ZJ is doing the exact same thing.

ASD fuses are blowing almost immediately now. The fuse pops only when stopped, although now I can't even drive it before fuse blows.

Symptoms when fuse blows:

No check engine light at all. No codes if fuse doesn't blow.

Fuel gauge reads empty, although it has a full tank. If fuse doesnt pop immediately gauge reads correctly.

Security light, factory red anti-theft light on dash, illuminates steady, not blinking.

Appears to blow fuse immediately when changing gears.

ASD relay appears warmer than the other relays. A different relay will also get warm in this position.

I've replaced the crank position sensor, switched the ASD relay with another, and visually inspected the oxygen sensor wiring as suggested, to no avail.

Zeppelin, did you ever find your problem? If anyone else has any legitimate suggestions or ideas, I'm open to hear them. This is driving me crazy.

Thanks for any/all help.

-Scott

Registered

Getting frustrated, I went back under the jeep and found my problem.

The rearmost oxygen sensor harness was dragging on the driveshaft, burning through the wiring, causing it to short out. It was barely touching, to the degree that it didn't appear to be making contact with the driveshaft at all.

Some electrical tape and a zip-tie fixed it!

I figured I'd post the solution in the event anyone else runs into a similar problem.