Thread: Those with the RB1 and Sirius satellite radio - Please come in..

Registered

Default Those with the RB1 and Sirius satellite radio - Please come in..

Thanks for coming in

For those with the RB1 and an activated sirius radio, AND the Rb1 song/artist cable.....

Is there any way to have the above WITHOUT having the factory 10-disc cd-changer? I'd like to know if it is possible. It looks like I might have to buy the multiplex splitter or such. I'm trying to plan my system

thanks
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo / Auto / NP242 4WD / 4.0L I-6 / DRLs/ Patriot Blue Metallic Clearcoat

Yes...I have the RB1/Sirius no-changer setup.

It was actually a little confusing, because the part descriptions are misleading.

You'll need the RB1 (obviously) the Sirius antenna kit PN 82206488AB and the installation kit PN 82207564 and the adaptor cable PN 82208322.

You have to install the multiplex splitter, you just wont be plugging in anything into the CD input jack.

The cable that comes with the installation kit you'll throw away, because the adaptor cable replaces it.

Visit here for more info http://www.wjjeeps.com/sirius/sirius.htm and PM me if you have any questions about the setup.
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 200k mi
    2WD, 4.0L I-6, 42RE, Dana 35

Registered

Thanks for confirming.. I've been in contact with the keeper of that site, and the information indicates at one point there that a changer is required, and then later the diagram shows it is not. So thusly, looking for someone with the setup I was contemplating. I thought it might be that simple, just don't plug anything in to that jack, but ya never know.

I'm trying to contemplate the terk sr20s mounted above the brake light or to actually drill the hole for the antenna in that kit. Did you take the drilling route?

thanks again!

-=- originally posted by 2000WJLover -=-
    Yes...I have the RB1/Sirius no-changer setup.

It was actually a little confusing, because the part descriptions are misleading.

You'll need the RB1 (obviously) the Sirius antenna kit PN 82206488AB and the installation kit PN 82207564 and the adaptor cable PN 82208322.

You have to install the multiplex splitter, you just wont be plugging in anything into the CD input jack.

The cable that comes with the installation kit you'll throw away, because the adaptor cable replaces it.

Visit here for more info http://www.wjjeeps.com/sirius/sirius.htm and PM me if you have any questions about the setup.
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo / Auto / NP242 4WD / 4.0L I-6 / DRLs/ Patriot Blue Metallic Clearcoat

I drilled. Do it right and pick up a 1/2in metal hole bit (i think its 1/2 in, dont quite remember)...its an expensive bit actually (about 10 bucks) but better to get it right. I was a little nervous but once it was done, I'm very happy with the results. You might be able to just install an aftermarket wired antenna, but you'll spend more money and it wont look as good IMO.

Registered

that does sound the best, that way it is permanent too, not as easy for someone to steal. thanks! I'll double-check the directions on what size bits and all.

Registered

if anyone is in NC and has a sirius radio and an RB1, I'ld like to hook a protocol analyzer up between the units and see what is going back and forth.

I want to make a ipod adapter that spits out the track names on the RB1 screen.
    -[\/]ac

www.teamtweek.com
    Watercraft Racing
    forum.teamtweek.com

Is anyone having problems with engine noise (alternator noise) in the speakers after the installation? What I found was that the source of the noise was 70% splitter box and 30% satellite tuner. I tried 2 different tuners and couldn't solve the problem. I ended up ripping the whole system out except for the antenna. I went the route of drilling a hole in the roof.

What has been your experience?

Bob

Did you ever think of getting a noise filter? I'm sure others have had that noise prob.
    '84 CJ-7 Renegade- 258 GM TBI with spark control and HEI, t-5, d300, d30 w/aussie locker, amc20 w/ trac loc, 33" Swamper SSR's, 2.5" BDS, 1" BL, MORE shackles, Superwinch hubs, Superior shafts, tie-rod flip, Taurus Fan, YJ brake booster, Full cage, A to Z rocker guards, A to Z rear cage, lots of other stuff...
    '05 Tahoe LS 5.3 flex fuel, Z55, Cooper AT3's, K&N fipk, G80 locker, HD Hood, z71 fogs daily, driver/kid hauler
    Sold: 98 TJ, 96 ZJ, 00 WJ, 02 WJ
    My Junkyard TBI writeup: http://www.viciouscustoms.com/TBI/junkyardtbi.asp.htm

I have bought everything for my RB1, sirius conversion from stock, will be installing next week. I was surprised to learn the RB1 GPS antenna is mounted inside the vehicle, under the dash, out of sight. Would it not be possible to mount the Sirius antenna in a similar location?
    There would be no drilling, and no advertising to the outside that you have anything but a plain set up?

Paul
    99 WJ LTD V8 QD, modified to Up Country, RB1/Sirius, Mopar rock rails.

Im pretty sure the Sirius has to be mounted on top of the vehicle...you wont get any reception if its mounted inside.

Has anyone had any problems with the Mopar-Sirius antenna leaking water inside during high-pressure car washes? Getting ready to install it, but that has been holding me back...

I was a chicken and took my WJ to the dealer to get the Sirius kit installed because I didn't like the idea of drilling a hole in a new $40K vehicle. The antenna looks factory (much more professional than running a wire through the brake light IMO) and doesn't leak even in high pressure car washes. The antenna's footprint is significantly bigger than the hole, and from the looks of it the entire bottom is lined with double-sided waterproof tape like that used to apply exterior trim so it should be permanently bonded to the roof all the way around the hole. It also has a sort of rubber gasket/skirt around the bottom that seals the edge. Anyway it looks fine and doesn't leak.

Unlike the RB1's GPS receiver, I don't think an interior Sirius antenna would provide satisfactory performance because the system needs continuous line of sight to a very small number of signal sources. If you had an antenna on/in the dash like the GPS antenna for example, the signal would probably cut out momentarily quite often and might cut out completely if you are headed in the wrong direction since there are only three satellites total (only 2 of which may be over the horizon at your location at any time). The GPS antenna works o.k. in the dash because there are normally 8-14 satellites well distributed throughout the sky at any time, GPS receivers seem to be slightly less fussy about line-of-sight issues (different frequency band), and you're not listening to a GPS receiver so it doesn't affect performance from your perspective if the signal momentarily cuts out.

Regarding information shared between the Sirius receiver and head unit, I had an opportunity to gain some insight when my RB1 head unit was replaced under warranty. I did not have to register the new head unit with Sirius; it is the Sirius receiver itself that is registered with the system. No surprise there. I was more surprised to discover that although I had to reenter all my AM and FM presets and my nav address list with the new head unit, my sat radio channel presets had been preserved, obviously stored in the Sirius receiver instead of the head unit.

Enjoy Sirius, you will love it and probably stop listening to FM altogether after you get it.

Icon313

Get a plug cutter from an electrical shop to cut the hole. You drill a 3/8 hole first, then insert the plug cutter and tighten. End result is a hole with no jagged edges or warping, like you get with a drill bit. Makes a more professional looking job.
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 H.O.
    '99 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0
    '89 Cherokee 4.0