Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: list of anti-offroad businesses in Moab

Angry list of anti-offroad businesses in Moab

For anyone who ever travels to Moab, print this list of businesses off so you know not to ever support their business.

THE FOLLOWING MOAB COMPANIES SIGNED THE ANTI-ACCESS LETTER TO GOVERNOR HUNTSMAN. PLEASE WRITE TO INFORM THEM OF YOUR DISCONTENT AND STOP USING THEIR SERVICES.

Back Of Beyond Book Store
    83 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Canyon Voyages Adventure Company
    211 North Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2342

Canyonlands Field Institute
    1320 S Highway 191
    Moab, UT 84532 – 3102

Center Café
    60 N 100 West
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2323

Colorado Plateau River Guides
    120 Arbor Dr
    Moab, UT 84532 – 3227

Earthstudio
    31 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Eddie McStiff's
    59 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2522

Far Out Expeditions
    208 E. 200 South #1 PO Box 1342,
    Moab, UT 84532

Footprints Inc
    121 E 100 South
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2661

GearHeads
    471 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2980

GearHeads North
    59 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2522

Hound Dog Sound
    76 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2567

Knave of Hearts Bakery
    84 W 200 North
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2329

Living Rivers
    21 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Lost River Trading Company
    39 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Main Street Music & Video
    59 S Main #8
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2548

Miguels Baja Grill
    51 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Moab Chevron
    817 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2962

Moab Lodging
    50 E Center
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2473

Moab Self Storage
    1819 Pebble Lane
    Moab, UT 84532

Moab-Canyonlands Central Reservations
    50 E Center
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2473

Moabilia
    77 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2302

Mondo Café
    59 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2522

Peace Tree Juice Café
    20 South Main
    Moab, UT 84532

Poison Spider Bicycles
    497 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2126

Red Rock Bakery
    74 S Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2503

Rim Mountain Bike Tours
    1233 S Highway 191
    Moab, UT 84532 – 3062

Slickrock Adventures
    59 E Center St
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2461

Slickrock Café
    5 N Main
    Moab, UT 84532 – 2364

Sunshine Deli
    817 S. Main
    Moab, UT 84532

Utah Guides and Outfitters
    1233 South Hwy. 191
    Moab, UT 84532

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ead.php?t=7503
    33 spline super 44 rear 4.88s & ARB, HP 44 front 4.88s & ARB, Tera Low 4-to-1 & 2WD Low Range, crossover steering, Long Arm Lift (3-link w/ trackbar F & 4 link triangulated R), Skyjacker high clearance skid, 35" Toyo Mts, Currie Anti-Rock, PS rocker guards, Warn 9.5 Ti, Garvin rear tire carrier bumper, PS stinger front bumper, CB, rear Kilby rack (for the dog), Mastercraft seats, 48" high lift, recovery gear, Power Tank, rock lights, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, customer stereo and a VERY LIGHT WALLET!

Registered

Thanks for the info, I will definitely avoid these places and spread the word.

Registered

Really wish you would have posted this last week before I left for EJS:sousy:
    '85 CJ7, injected 258I6, 999 Auto, D44 front ARB'd, waggy rear w detroit, 4.56 gears, Teralo D300 case, SOA susp w hy-steer, Glass Tub, full cage, Warn HS9500i, 36" Iroks, Jeep Club - Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
    www.hrja.org www.in2jeep.com

I see Chevron on there. Maybe it has something to do with the free air behind the station. So fill up with air then go down the street for gas.
    2003 Rubicon, Auto, 4.88's, 4.5" Nth LA, 1" BL, 1"MML, Currie HD steering, 35" MTR's on 15x8 and other stuff.
    2011 Grand Cherokee
    95 YJ, 4.0L, AW4, 39.5"x17, Atlas 4.3, D60/14B with Detroits and 5.38.
    My Website

Registered

This post is important enuff to have locked and stickied at the top so it does not get buried

everyone needs to see it and print it so they know who to avoid

you should go to these businesses when in moab, and politely tell them you are not going to use thier services. If everyone did, they would resend the signatures as their pocket books would suffer.
    04 SE
    2" teraflex lift with suspension system upgrade plus uppers
    currie adjustable traking bar
    quick disconnects,currie rock rails,1"body lift
    31" Dick Cepek FCII on black steel rims for the street
    33" Dick Cepek FCII on black steel rims for the dirt
    D44 rearaxle with detriot auto locker. 4.56 gears, Rock-it Man front bumber
    Warn winch

Registered

I would do my own research and check facts first before I go in to any of these businesses acting like an ass.

there has to be more to it than a quick posting on an internet message board.
    Que viva la Raza.

This is the reply I got from Eddie McStiff's...

Eddie Mcstiffs’s position

Eddie McStiffs is a firm believer that off road vehicles have a place in the Moab recreation plan. We are concerned that unregulated off road travel, off road vehicles, bicycles, horseback and on foot, could lead to unwanted and illegal roads and trails placement in sensitive areas.
    It is our hope that all factions can come together and create a usable master plan for backcountry use that will allow everyone to enjoy this incredible land that surrounds Moab.
    We have a strong belief that through mutual cooperation we can all enjoy the recreation possibilities that Moab offers for a long time to come.

Eddie

Registered

I have been calling thses businesses, and have gotten a number of different replies, the worse is, how did this get out, the best was, no way, however the owner was not in.
    04 SE
    Warn winch

Registered

link to the letter

http://www.suwa.org/library/Final_Huntsman_ad.pdf

I have now spent several hours on the phone with several orgs in the moab area

they state that the way the origoanl letter was put to them, it was to help control the wild part of the 4x crowd who are destructive to the area

and that many did not even know it was going to be used to promote closing the land

It was put accros by an enviromental org. the Southern Utah Wilerness All.
    and that they feel they were tricked into signing

Many of these businesses depend on the 4x crowd for a living and would never want them to leave

I feel, after several long hours of talking to business and other ascotiations, that the issue is one of a large misjudgement brought on by misinformation.

Yes they should not have signed, but they were told it was not going to be such as what it is.

We need to use judgement in the matter as most of the businesses feel hoodwinked and regret ever seeing the letter, they feel that the issues it is being used for were not the issues that they signed for.
    04 SE
    Warn winch

Excellent post, B9thArpeggios.

I've kinda thought that the whole time. That the businesses were mislead with the petition to gain more sigs and more support in the eyes of the public.

Registered

-=- originally posted by B9thArpeggios -=-
    link to the letter

http://www.suwa.org/library/Final_Huntsman_ad.pdf

I have now spent several hours on the phone with several orgs in the moab area

they state that the way the origoanl letter was put to them, it was to help control the wild part of the 4x crowd who are destructive to the area

and that many did not even know it was going to be used to promote closing the land

It was put accros by an enviromental org. the Southern Utah Wilerness All.
    and that they feel they were tricked into signing

Many of these businesses depend on the 4x crowd for a living and would never want them to leave

I feel, after several long hours of talking to business and other ascotiations, that the issue is one of a large misjudgement brought on by misinformation.

Yes they should not have signed, but they were told it was not going to be such as what it is.

We need to use judgement in the matter as most of the businesses feel hoodwinked and regret ever seeing the letter, they feel that the issues it is being used for were not the issues that they signed for.
    Well then its up to these business's to give that feedback to SUWA. This blacklist is exactly what needs to happen so SUWA comes accross like the deceivers/liers that they are. They always make their opinions come accross as "reasonable". They aren't.

Does anyone really understand that letter?

From the sounds of things it doesn't seem like they're trying to close existing trails, yet, which is good, but it does sound like they're trying to prevent opening new trails. The letter is worded carefully enough that we as 4 wheelers might agree with it to a certain extent, however don't forget the SUWA is behind this and if they could they'd shut down all of Moab today. To me it sounds like they're moving in the direction of not opening any new trails in the MOAB area EVER, without wording it so bluntly for the time being, and if they have their way with that I'd assume they'll focus on the easy remaining task of closing the rest of the remaining Moab trails from there on out. This is bad news and I will not support any of the businesses listed in this thread unless they make good on their reputation through means of a sizable donation to the U4WDA or similar. If all they're going to do is back the SUWA, which is what it looks like they're doing here, they can kiss my money goodbye.

This is where we, the 4x4 community, can finally make a big impact without having a huge amount of money behind us. Many of the businesses in Moab listed in this letter rely on our income; they won't survive without the 4x4 community. If we all boycott them, they won't survive.

I'd like to see the U4WDA, or someone who has influence in Moab, come up with a window sticker, flyer, or something that businesses in the area who actively support keeping our trails open could display in front of their business to let us 4 wheelers know that our money is not being spent at these establishments to help support the closing of our trails. I wouldn't spend a dime with anyone in the area who doesn't proudly display it.

I'm afraid to say it but unless McStiff's changes their policy I won't be having anymore of their tasty beer either.

For the time being I encourage you all to avoid spending a cent with any of the businesses listed in this letter unless you see them making a donation to someone who's fighting to keep our trails open. I've seen some of these businesses make comments that they didn't understand the meaning of the letter, or McStiff's for instance has said they don't want the 4x4 vehicles to go away they just want regulation over the trails. To me the damage has been done by associating their names with the SUWA. If any of these companies want my business back they'll have to do something financially to support keeping the trails open or they'll never see my money again. A written apology, as McStiff's and several others have offered up won't cut it with me, and I encourage you all to boycott them as well until you see otherwise.

To take it one step further, can we get a list of businesses in Moab who support the U4WDA or another organization? I’d be willing to spend my money only with these groups from here on out.
    97 TJ 400hp, 106" WB, and 42"s in the works.
    07 Steel Blue Rubicon Unlimited - Rubicon Express 4.5" Long Arm, Rubicon Express Monotube Shocks, Rubicon Express CV Drive Shafts, Pro Comp 17x8 7005 Series Wheels, 37x12.50/17 BFG M/T KM2's, Superwinch EPi9, Red Rock Fabrication Pre-Runner Front Bumper, Red Rock Fabrication Rear Bumper Tire Carrier, Red Rock Fabrication Rocker Guards w/ Aluminum Skins. Work in progress....

My Moab Pics

Registered

We have contacted people in the area, we are giving them 2 weeks to have recants published in the local paper and send us proof of the recants, we will then mail copies of these recants to the govenor of Utah and publish a list of those who feel they were either misquoted, or out right deny they want any thing to do with land clousure or SUWA.
    this will give them time to think, go over the issue and decide how they feel.
    issues likethis can take a bit of time, however we are trying to get it done before the big moab event end of May.

edit, in 3 weeks we go full bore contacting every 4x magazine and such about the issue. plus flyers published to pass out on the trails of Moab
    04 SE
    Warn winch

For the time being I encourage you all to avoid spending a cent with any of the businesses listed in this letter unless you see them making a donation to someone who's fighting to keep our trails open. I've seen some of these businesses make comments that they didn't understand the meaning of the letter, or McStiff's for instance has said they don't want the 4x4 vehicles to go away they just want regulation over the trails. To me the damage has been done by associating their names with the SUWA. If any of these companies want my business back they'll have to do something financially to support keeping the trails open or they'll never see my money again. A written apology, as McStiff's and several others have offered up won't cut it with me, and I encourage you all to boycott them as well until you see otherwise.

To take it one step further, can we get a list of businesses in Moab who support the U4WDA or another organization? I’d be willing to spend my money only with these groups from here on out. [/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Many of the environmental organizations word things in a manner that appeals to as broad of an audience as possible. The problem is they generally have deeper motives and once they get people to support them they dig in and use their resources to take control of the land or at least the management of it. We have seen this over and over again in the mountain bike world as well as the off highway world. Businesses need to be aware of the overall agendas of organizations such as SUWA before pledging their support.
    Tuffy Security Products

Well the idea I mentioned above about the stickers in the windows of supporting businesses has come to fruition.

I am currently working with the U4WDA to create such a sticker. They mentioned they're terribly understaffed so I've volunteered my services (I've done web and graphic design for the past 6 years) to help design such a sticker and get it to print.

I've also volunteered to help hand these out and enforce our intent to boycott other businesses during the JU run in May while we're in town. I would hope that everyone attending the JU run would also do the same, and not spend one dime at a business (including your campgrounds, hotels, favorite brewery or restaurant, etc) who does not support our cause. This won't be fun for us as many of us have businesses we like to use in Moab, but if they're spending our money to help support closing our land we simply can't use them anymore.

I plan to have stickers and enrollment forms with me, so if a business wants to sign up it will only take them a few minutes and a donation (undetermined as to how much it should be at this time). If everyone attending the JU run is on board with this, I think we'll be able to sign up quite a few businesses and make an immediate impact.

Once the sticker and "Trail Friendly Business" program is in effect, I would appreciate it if the mods would make a sticky at the top of all forums related to trail rides and Moab (this includes the TJ forum) so that everyone knows they should not spend their money elsewhere in Moab.

Oh and by the way, I'd like to take this one step further than the stickers and I'd like to help sponsor a bill board in town or just outside of town with a list of Trail Friendly Businesses so everyone coming to town knows about the program. If anyone else is interested in helping to support the cost of this let me know. We should also get an ad going on the Jeep channel they run down there now. I will also be sponsoring a link on my website to a list of trail friendly businesses in Moab the U4WDA is currently putting together.

Jason
    97 TJ 400hp, 106" WB, and 42"s in the works.
    07 Steel Blue Rubicon Unlimited - Rubicon Express 4.5" Long Arm, Rubicon Express Monotube Shocks, Rubicon Express CV Drive Shafts, Pro Comp 17x8 7005 Series Wheels, 37x12.50/17 BFG M/T KM2's, Superwinch EPi9, Red Rock Fabrication Pre-Runner Front Bumper, Red Rock Fabrication Rear Bumper Tire Carrier, Red Rock Fabrication Rocker Guards w/ Aluminum Skins. Work in progress....

My Moab Pics

Registered

Marely,

I understand a sticker is truely important, but more important than the sticker is a PUBLIC REPEAL OF ALL SUPPORT OF SUWA, In a PUBLIC PORUM such as the local newspaper, this way a copy of the letter REPEAL can be sent to the governor.
    We have asked for this. If full support is not pulled then they are supporting partial closure.
    Patial clousure is a step toward full closure. And the Enviromental groups go for small steps at a time.
    Here in Southern California, they have just anounced new wilderness areas in the San Bernardino Mountains, That translates into less trails, and some of those trails we like to take.
    Any Business that is listed on the Letter published by SUWA, theat does not fully pull support, should not receive a sticker
    the support pulled should be public and final

Everyone who reads this should call the businesses concerned and tell them politely and soberly, that they will not use them unless public recant that can be verified and sent to the governor. Untill that time we should pull all support. After that time we should support the businesses and show the ECONOMICAL power we have
    04 SE
    Warn winch

Registered

Businesses that have denied the letter are on the list of the published letter.
    We have found thet they are denying the letter because they think we will forget.
    However they have signed, weather they were tricked or not, they signed

this same denial and then found out they support must be stopped, and they way to stop it is with PUBLIC PULL OF SUPPORT TO SUWA that can be sent to the Governor.

only full repeal and open support of total access can be accepted.
    04 SE
    Warn winch

as Paul harvey says "heres the rest of the story"

http://greenjeep.proboards38.com/ind...isplay&start=0

please read this and then decide what the apropriate course of action is. we all know that all these eco nazi political groups will often bend and twist the truth to their benefit and gain, please keep that in mind.

One year later, what is the status????

Default With EJS around the corner....

....just wanted to bump the thread, I think it is important.
    33 spline super 44 rear 4.88s & ARB, HP 44 front 4.88s & ARB, Tera Low 4-to-1 & 2WD Low Range, crossover steering, Long Arm Lift (3-link w/ trackbar F & 4 link triangulated R), Skyjacker high clearance skid, 35" Toyo Mts, Currie Anti-Rock, PS rocker guards, Warn 9.5 Ti, Garvin rear tire carrier bumper, PS stinger front bumper, CB, rear Kilby rack (for the dog), Mastercraft seats, 48" high lift, recovery gear, Power Tank, rock lights, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, customer stereo and a VERY LIGHT WALLET!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast