Thread: Clicking noise after engine turned off

Registered

Default Clicking noise after engine turned off

I have a very strange noise after I turn the engine off. It is coming from inside the valve cover. Its starts out as a rather fast clicking noise, and then continually slows for about a minute or two and then quits.

Definetly near cylinder 2 or 3 area on an I-6 242. This does this every time the engine is turned over. Does not matter if hot or cold. It doesn't even have to start, just turning it over causes this noise. However the faster the engine was reving when shut off causes the ticking to be faster.

I plan on pulling valve cover off to inspect it tommorow, but was hoping someone had run into this before, and could give me some tips on what to look for.

James

[edit]....Just a thought...If a Fuel Injector is 'leaking pressure' would it possible click like this after the engine is shut off to relieve the pressure?

Registered

so its not the cats?...cats make a tapping/clicking/poping noise when the engine is shut down, and does it for a good 10min afterwards.
    MA EMT-B

Black 2000 Cherokee Sport 2-Door
    Rusty's 2" BB
    Kuhmo Venture AT 235/75 15 Extra Load

jeep on 6 ton jackstands

might be teh exhausse manifold :rockz:

Registered

okay, took the valve cover off and this is what I found. I do not know if its a bad thing or not, just that it is unusual.

I can feel and see the rockers moving after the engine is shut off. Just barely moving. The clicks are about a 1/4 second or so in intervals on #2 and #3 when you turn the jeep off. Then in a minute or so span, slow to about 1 second intervals and then finally quits.

I know its not the manifold as I took the coil wire off and turned the engine over for about 10 seconds. The oil pressure seems to be the trigger for starting this cycle of clicking.

The only thing I can figure is that a lifter is basically purging the oil pressure and the disc is what is actually moving. This is my first jeep. Had it about a month now. Totally rebuilt the bottom of the engine a couple of weeks ago do to no/low oil pressure after engine is warm. Now I have plenty of pressure, never below 20, usually around 25-30 with warm engine at idle.

Is this normal? Would this be an indication of lifters going bad? All pushrods, rockers look great with lots of oil getting to the top.

Other then this noise, I do have the normal noisy injectors, and maybe alittle piston slap. But overall, a very quite, tight motor. 1991 I6 with 141,000 miles.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas about what is causing this?

James

It sounds like you have one or more lifters that leak down pretty rapidly after shutdown. Unto itself, this is not a problem, assuming you are confident the rest of the engine oiling system is in good shape.

"Good shape" meaning good (small) bearing clearances, good oil pump delivery, and good running oil pressure.

Oil pressure spec for the 4.0 is 13 PSI MINIMUM at hot idle, and 37 MINIMUM above 1600 RPM
    1992 XJ 2" lift -- RIP
    2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.

Registered

Thanks Jeff,

I am confident with the oil pressure at this time. I am also sure that it is reaching all the way up the engine as well. I just replaced the mains and rod bearings, as well as the crank shaft, oil pump, and a whole slew of other general items that needed it after 140,000 miles.

It did not make this noise before I 'rebuilt' the lower half, and I believe that is because the oil pressure was terrible before. So this new noise is probably a sign that I do now have good oil pressure all the way up.

I am way above the 13 PSI on the hot idle. Mechanical gauge showed 21-23 with the break in oil (10-30). I changed the oil today and went with a 10-40 synthetic and a WIX filter. Mechanical gauge today showed about 25 PSI on hot idle with the new oil. Verified with valve cover off that oil is flowing evenly across the top. One pushrod is a bit slow turning compared to the rest.

I am still very new to this engine. But I am learning fast all of its little quirks. Probably this fall will rebuild the top half. Seems like a real easy engine to work on. Now just got to find an FSM for a 1991. The Haynes manual leaves alittle to be desired for my taste.

James

Still shouldn't 'tick' like that. You're the first I've heard with the issue.
    94 XJ Country NP231 AW4, 145k miles
    Cooper Discoverer ST/AR767, front towhook, PIAA 40's and Hidden Hitch. 1.5" budget boost 10/08

Registered

While searching the many forums, I also found no other people having this same problem. Its hard to believe that I have something so unique that no one has experienced it besides me. I have had other people look at it as well, and none of them have a resonable explanation either.

Its definetly a mechanical noise rather then expansion. Its perfectly timed intervals that gradually slow down and takes about 1-2 minutes before it stops. It is coming from two different cylinders. One of them always stops before the other. About 20-30 seconds before.

Anyone in the Wichita KS area is more then welcome to come by and take a look and listen. This is just driving me crazy that I can not explain it.

James

I'm having the same problem. Mine just started a few days ago. I have a '93 Cherokee Sport with 170,000 miles on it. It sounds like there's a bearing that keeps spinning after the engine has stopped. it's fast at first, then slows down and finally stops.

Jmag your lifters are bleeding down now probably because your oilpump is more eficient with the lower rebuild. my 7.4l chevy does this since its rebuild and when I verified my oil pressure it was at twice what it was from factory yet all lube points are getting oil so have listed as a nuscence.
    1996 XJ 2WD 3" lift W/31s

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill11 View Post
    I'm having the same problem. Mine just started a few days ago. I have a '93 Cherokee Sport with 170,000 miles on it. It sounds like there's a bearing that keeps spinning after the engine has stopped. it's fast at first, then slows down and finally stops.
    check your electric fan motor you may have a bad bearing in it.
    1996 XJ 2WD 3" lift W/31s