Thread: Head bolts 4cyl size type 2.5? I see oil!

Default Head bolts 4cyl size type 2.5? I see oil!

Could someone tell me the size and type of the cyl. head bolts on a 4cyl 2.5 2001 se.I want to make sure I have the right tools before taking off the valve cover. I have under 15000 mi on it and it looks like there is a small amount of oil seeping * but not leaking* from between the cyl. head and the block. I did find the valve cover bolts lose a few weeks ago, some so lose I could remove them without a wrench with just my fingers. 5of them. I thought this was the cause of the org. seeping I had seen. Got them all tight and now after about 200 more miles I see just a slight film of oil below the cyl head on the block. So I'm thinking DC didn't torque the cyl head bolts right and I'll have to check them. I got this Jeep new from a dealer and I do have a DC FSM for it. Thanks George
    2005 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ. Black on black 6cyl auto, D44 3.73 gears, tilt wheel, air ,cd player ,7speaker sound with a sub woofer,Factory fog (driving) lights, 30x9.50X15 on ravine wheels for now.. Tilt wheel, tinted glass. 2 1/2" Rancho springs OME shocks and OME track bar bracket. *His*
    2007 Mustang Fastback coup, red fire Lot's of options and fun stuff the wife wanted!! We had added wide black racing strips over hood roof and trunk and the detailed black Mustang stripes on the sides.. Dealer item! *Hers*
    2014 Jeep Cherokee! Ugly cuss 4 banger 9 speed auto. Other then it's looks we like it. This will be our winter beater to save our vechiles from northeast salt *Ours*..

Registered

I'd clean the engine real good with a degreaser and keep an eye on it. From my expierence you'd likely be seeing coolant leaking from between the head and block if the head bolts were not torqued correctly.

As for replacing the head bolts, you can pick them up at any local autoparts store. Just make sure you torque them in the right sequence, you can find that in your FSM. You'll need a 12 point 1/2 inch deep socket to tighten them with, you can not use a 6 point socket. Fel-Pro Head Bolt Part No. ES72896.

You can also just re-torque your existing head bolts if you know they have never been taken off before. The book says that you can re-use head bolts once.

Hope this helps.
    Steve
    ......u[]u
    ......'(OIIIIIO)'
    ......'__o=o__'
    ...[]==O=[]

1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ. 2.5L Rebuilt March 2004: bored .30 over, head ported and polished with bigger SS valves, Mopar Cam, Mopar double roller chain, Mopar roller rockers, 62mm TB, Ported intake, Safari Snorkel, K&N Filter, Flowkooler water pump, Centerforce clutch, Banks Touque Tube Header (just added), Random Technology Cat-converter, and Pacesetter TFX Cat-back.
    33X12.50 BFG MT's. OME 2.5" lift. 1" Performance Accessories body lift. JKS 1" MML. JKS Quicker Disconnets.
    4.88 Yukon Gears. Front Lockright. Alloy USA Grande 35 Kit with Detroit Locker. Warn Oil Skid. Steering Skid. Custom Front and Rear Bumpers. Custom Rocker Gaurds. 9000 Mile Marker Hydraulic Winch.

Registered

I didn't realize there was a limit to how many times you could use a bolt on a head cover. Why is there a limitation on that? They only torque to a few inch/lbs (like not even 5 ft lbs), so they are not super-tight to begin with.

I installed the Felpro gasket, but just haven't had a chance to degrease my engine to make sure my leak is fixed, but I reused the bolts a second time.

I have a factory service manual and didn't see anything about a particular bolt pattern. Do you have a page reference for that? If so, I'll go retighten mine to make sure I got it right.

On my 97, I used a 7/16" deep socket and it fit perfectly.

Registered

It doesn't matter how many times you re-use your valve cover bolts and yes they only torque to a few inch pounds, 115 to be exact. A 7/16 deep socket works perfect for the valve cover bolts, 6 or 12 point. I thought that the original poster stated that they were leaking oil between the cylinder head and the block.
    Could someone tell me the size and type of the cyl. head bolts on a 4cyl 2.5 2001 se.
    there is a small amount of oil seeping * but not leaking* from between the cyl. head and the block.
    He may have only meant between the valve cover and the head. Anyway hope this clears up any mis-understanding and maybe George W can chime in and tell us if the oil leak.......seeping, is between the valve cover and head or between the head and the block.
    ......u[]u
    ......'(OIIIIIO)'
    ......'__o=o__'
    ...[]==O=[]

1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ. 2.5L Rebuilt March 2004: bored .30 over, head ported and polished with bigger SS valves, Mopar Cam, Mopar double roller chain, Mopar roller rockers, 62mm TB, Ported intake, Safari Snorkel, K&N Filter, Flowkooler water pump, Centerforce clutch, Banks Touque Tube Header (just added), Random Technology Cat-converter, and Pacesetter TFX Cat-back.
    33X12.50 BFG MT's. OME 2.5" lift. 1" Performance Accessories body lift. JKS 1" MML. JKS Quicker Disconnets.
    4.88 Yukon Gears. Front Lockright. Alloy USA Grande 35 Kit with Detroit Locker. Warn Oil Skid. Steering Skid. Custom Front and Rear Bumpers. Custom Rocker Gaurds. 9000 Mile Marker Hydraulic Winch.

back from the land of JK 2k2wranglerX's Avatar

that has warrenty written all over it man
    03 TJ sport
    4" full traction long arm
    full skids
    solid industries 60
    4.88's, arb's, alloys
    kilby oba
    mastercraft seats.. etc etc etc

Steve, Thanks for your reply and help. Yes you have it right. I think the seeping is between the head and the block. The eng. is clean and I keep it wiped down so I can keep a eye on where I think the oil is seeping from. I change the oil every 2000mi. and the seeping oil is clean oil. After I re-tightened the valve cover I cleaned it well too. I thought I had it fixed after finding the lose cover bolts.There looks to be nothing coming from the valve cover between it and the cyl. head at this time. I forgot to mention I see no coolant leaking from between the head and block.

2k2wranglerX, As far as the warrenty It's a 01 and It only had a 3 year 36000mi. warrenty. George
    2005 Rocky Mountain Edition TJ. Black on black 6cyl auto, D44 3.73 gears, tilt wheel, air ,cd player ,7speaker sound with a sub woofer,Factory fog (driving) lights, 30x9.50X15 on ravine wheels for now.. Tilt wheel, tinted glass. 2 1/2" Rancho springs OME shocks and OME track bar bracket. *His*
    2007 Mustang Fastback coup, red fire Lot's of options and fun stuff the wife wanted!! We had added wide black racing strips over hood roof and trunk and the detailed black Mustang stripes on the sides.. Dealer item! *Hers*
    2014 Jeep Cherokee! Ugly cuss 4 banger 9 speed auto. Other then it's looks we like it. This will be our winter beater to save our vechiles from northeast salt *Ours*..

Registered

George W

I just looked in my FSM. If you have a bad head gasket you'd have coolant leaking and low compression at that cylinder, which would result in a loss of power. I had this problem on my 4 banger a couple of years ago after I had the head off to replace a broken exhaust stud, I just took the head back off and replaced the head gasket again.

As for an oil leak between the head and the block, I saw no mention of that in my FSM. I'd think you'd have to have a pretty noticeable blown head gasket to have oil leaking there. Do you have any power loss? If not I don't know that I'd mess around with anything too much.

The first thing I'd try is replacing the valve cover gasket with a good one from Fel-Pro. I think its a much better gasket than the stock one and this is just my opinion.

Again if you had lose cylinder head to block bolts you should have a noticeable loss of power and coolant leaking. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Maybe someone with a little more knowledge can jump in on this!

Steve
    ......u[]u
    ......'(OIIIIIO)'
    ......'__o=o__'
    ...[]==O=[]

Steve, I think your right and I'll give it some time before doing anything with the head bolts at this point.. I change the oil every 2000miles and so far have no issues with oil loss at that oil chaning schedule. I'll keep things clean and keep a eye on it. Maybe there is a little residule oil left over after finding the lose valve cover bolts that worked it's way down in that small grove between the head and the block . Also there is no power loss of any kind with no other running issues. I don't see any sign of oil in the coolant from the rad. or coolant in the oil when I change it. If it keeps up I'll change the cover gasket like you suggested. Where can I get the brand *Fel-Pro* you suggest? Thank you for all your help. George

Registered

x2 on the Felpro! I got mine at Advance Auto Parts, but you can get em at Autozone as well.

I was a bit surprised at the 45.00+ price tag though.