Page 1 of 5
Engine Cylinder Head Cover Kit - 8983 503 343
1981-1/2 - 1986 Six 258 Engine
1981-1/2 models can be identified by having cylinder head cover retaining screws located at the front and rear of the cylinder head.
8983 503 343
Cover Kit, Engine Cylinder Head
8933 004 109
Cover, Cylinder Head
Bolt, Stud - 7/16
Bolt, Stud - 1/2
8983 502 989
8983 503 344
Helicoil - 1/4-20
The new cylinder head cover comes equipped with a pre-cured RTV seal and is secured to the cylinder head with special shoulder bolts, and unique retaining nuts.
Follow the described procedure for proper cylinder head cover replacement.
1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the air cleaner assembly and the PCV molded hose.
3. Disconnect the distributor vacuum advance hose at the distributor.
4. Disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump. Rotate the line as necessary to provide clearance for removal of the cylinder head cover.
5. Remove the PCV valve from the grommet fin the cover. Disconnect the PCV shut-off valve vacuum hose.
6. Remove the vacuum switch and bracket assembly from the cover.
7. Remove the diverter valve and bracket assembly from the cover (if equipped).
8. Remove all necessary vacuum andair hoses to provide clearance for removal of the cover.
9. Remove the Cylinder head cover retaining nuts and bolts. Detach the cover from the cylinder head by breaking the RTV sealant with a putty knife or razor blade. Do not pry cover upward until seal has been completely broken.
10. Lift and rotate the cylinder head cover toward the passenger side and remove the cover. Proceed to step 12. If the cover cannot be removed because of dash panel interference, proceed to step ll. (Spirit, Concord models)
ll. Spiritt and Concord models
a. Remove the fan shroud attaching bolts. Allow the shroud to rest on the fan. b. Raise the vehicle and support at the sRde sRlls.
c. Support the front crossmember wRth a Jack.
d. Loosen the front crossmember bolts and nuts approximately five turns.
WARNING'' To avoid personal injury, DO NOT remove the bolts and nuts.
e. Lower the crossmember.
f. Rotate the cover to the left and remove Rt
12. Remove all RTV sealant from the sealing surface of the cylinder head and throughly clean the sealing surface of the cylinder head.
l. Remove the two rocker arm bridges equipped with studs from the cylinder head.
2. Install the replacement rocker bridges PN 323 6513 supplied Rn the kit. Torque the capscrews to 26 H.m (19ft. lbs.).
Steps 3 through 6 refer to 81-83 models.
3. Place shop towels into the cylinder head on the right side to prevent any metal chips from entering the engine when drilling/tapping.
4. Drill the 3 holes on the right side of the cylinder head using a 17/64 drill bit.
5. Tap the 3 holes on the right side of the cylinder head using a 1/4 X 20 helicoid tap.
6. Install the 1/4-20 helicoils into the holes tapped in the previous step.
NOTE: The top coil of the insert should be approximately one thread below the surface of the cylinder head.
Break off the Installation tang on the hel1coll after installation.
7. Remove the shop towels and any metal chips.
B. Transfer the PCV grommets and the oil filler cap from the old cover to the replacement cover.
9. Install the replacement cover, using illustration WA" as guide for placement of studs, bolts, etc.
NOTE: on 1981/82 models with a curved air injection manifold, do not install the retaining nut on stud bolt in location #4 (as shown on Illustration iA"). The new retaining nuts (8983502989) MUST be used on ALL MODELS.
10. Tighten the shoulder bolts and retaining nuts to 5.5 to 8.0 N.m too to 70 in. lbs.) torque.
11. Connect the fuel line and distributor vacuum advance hose.
12. Install the vacuum switch and bracket assembly on the cover.
13. Install the diverter valve and bracket assembly on the cover (If equipped).
14. Reposition and/or connect all air and vacuum hoses that were moved for cover removal clearance.
15. Connect the PCV valve and the PCV shut-off valve hoses.
16. If the crossmember was lowered to remove the cover: (Spirit, Concord models) a. Raise the crossmember.
b. Tighten the crossmember bolts and nuts to 8RN.m (65ft. lbs.) torque.
c. Remove the jack from under the crossmember.
d. Remove the sill supports and lower the Vehicle.
e. Install the fan shroud.
17. Install the air cleaner assembly and hoses.
1B. Connect the battery negative cable.
19. Check the engine oRl level and add if necessary.