Thread: 99+ Intake Manifold Heat Shield

will give rep for beer

Default 99+ Intake Manifold Heat Shield

Does anyone have any pics of the 99+ Intake Manifold Heat Shield?? I am upgrading to the 99+ Intake and I know that there was a factory recall to put a heat sheild on it. Well just wondering if anyone has any pics of this and if this is somthing I should look into doing or if is a waste of time and money.

Thanks
    Chris

Registered

No such recall for '99 unless it has CA/LEV emissions.

You'd be looking for a 2000+ heat shield photos.

Also, if you keep the leaves and crap off the manifold where the injectors enter, you'll never have to worry about it.
    '99 XJ Sport - Chili Pepper Red - 4.0, AW4, NP231
    5" Lift, 33" M/T, Front 44 Electrac, Rear 44 Detroit
    Click Here for Specs

Registered

A jeep mechanic actually told me to remove it because it also causes some other issues. As long as you keep it clean under there it shouldn't be an issue.

Australia. If not in the Outback, thinking about being there.

The recall was to remove it not add it as it was a fire risk where they had it. I added one underneath the whole intake years ago and works really well. See my site for the details.

My web site below:
    www.go.jeep-xj.info
    http://facebook.com/marcus.ohms

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
    The more brains you use, the less materials you need!

Registered

wasnt there someone that wrapped the manifold in a sheet of heat sheild material? i think he got it from summit or somewhere like that...
    two rangers......and now a cherokee......ahhh, the reliability

-=- originally posted by Gojeep -=-
    The recall was to remove it not add it as it was a fire risk where they had it. I added one underneath the whole intake years ago and works really well. See my site for the details.
    Since when? There was a recall on the 2000+ XJs to add a small shield to keep garbage out from between the intake runners, and another recall to add a heat shield to the #3 incector (IIRC). The manifold shield is not really a heat shield, as it is too small to protect anythign from heat. Was there a subsequent recall to remove it?

-Chris

Registered

-=- originally posted by SilverXJ -=-
    Since when? There was a recall on the 2000+ XJs to add a small shield to keep garbage out from between the intake runners, and another recall to add a heat shield to the #3 incector (IIRC). The manifold shield is not really a heat shield, as it is too small to protect anythign from heat. Was there a subsequent recall to remove it?

-Chris
    You're right on all points. But the heat shield used in the recall is useless anyway so I tore mine out.

I too remember hearing about a recall to remove the shield. The report I heard said that leaves and debris gets trapped by the shield and catches on fire.
    I believe fire danger was the reason the under hood insulation was deleted on the newer XJ's.

97XJ Renegade Big lift, white paint & 35'z
    87XJ Laredo Dentz, rust & 33'z

-=- originally posted by jeepzz -=-
    I too remember hearing about a recall to remove the shield. The report I heard said that leaves and debris gets trapped by the shield and catches on fire.
    I believe fire danger was the reason the under hood insulation was deleted on the newer XJ's.
    Unless there is a subsequent recall, the shield was the recall, not recalled. It was put in place to prevent debris from gathering at the #3 injectior.

B06 INTAKE MANIFOLD DEBRIS SHIELD May 9, 2002 July 10, 2002

http://jeepin.com/news/enginerecall.html

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...East_id=333137

Also, the under hood insulation is supose to be a fire retardant device. Should a fire start under the hood the insulation panel is suposed to drop from the hood and help smother the fire. That is how it is suposed to work... don't know if it actually functions that way or not.. nor do I care to find out.