Thread: ZJ/WJ front brake conversion

Registered

Question ZJ/WJ front brake conversion

I remember a thread we had a while back about converting the weak-ass ZJ front brakes to the larger WJ set. Unfortunately, I can't dig anything up on it with the search, so does anyone have any info on this?
    '02 Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG
    R.I.P

'98 Platinum Grand Cherokee 5.9 Ltd.
    Soon to be supercharged...

Rebuilt 360 .020'' over, increasd CR | Ported heads | MP windage tray | Ported M-1 | 210x cam | 1.65 rollers | Ported stock tb | K&N FIPK w/custom ram/true cold air | Mopar Headers | Mopar PCM | Jacobs 8.5 wires | Modified CKP sensor for 2-3* timing | APS 2,800 Converter | ASP crank pulley | Built 46re w/Transgo | Addco sways | Energy poly bushings | H&R springs | 18" Cobra R's | 265/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sports | Slotted rotors | Hawk race pads | more crap I'm prob forgetting

'03 Buell Firebolt XB9R

Race kit (muffler, filter, ecu)

qwik -

I asked the exact same question not more than a week or two ago and got zip. I swear I saw a thread on it, but I can't find the damn thing now.

If I find it I'll let you know. In the meantime I hope someone who has done the conversion will reply.
    Joe Martins
    Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8 conversion, <10 miles (FOR SALE, $56,700)
    01 WJ Limited, black on black, 157k (sold)
    96 XJ Classic, black on grey, 257K (sold)
    00 XJ Sport, fern green on grey, 79K (sold)
    97 ZJ 5.2 Limited, black on agate, 138K (totaled on 12/15/05 R.I.P.)
    98 ZJ 5.2 Limited, Dk rosewood on agate, 197K (sold)

Registered

haven't done it but did quite a bit of research on it a while back, the problem i saw with it was the stock rotor/calipers combination, even if you have the updated ones which were released after the recall, they were still having some problems with overheating, and never really solved it as far as I know. Somebody on here was suggesting using cobra aluminum calipers, and i started to look into it

the aluminum would cool off quicker and probably help solve the warping problems, but i was afraid of using a caliper designed to stop a mustang on a 2 ton jeep, but started looking at some numbers and they aren't that much different in weight

I say try it, be the first and lead the pack

There is always the totally custom route, but it's beyond most of our budgets.

Outlaw Disk Brakes makes a caliper with plenty of stopping power for any car/truck (the 3000/4000 series). And the folks there are unbelievably helpful and very knowledgeable.

If you navigate to the 3000/4000 series product page you'll see a thumbnail diagram with dimensions on it. Trouble is you'll have to fab the caliper mounts from scratch. Expect to spend a couple hundred for each caliper and probably another couple hundred per corner for the fabrication work, and another hundred or so per corner for rotors and pads. I ballparked the project at around $2000.

If the cost doesn't bother you, you can have one very badass braking system.
    Joe Martins
    Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8 conversion, <10 miles (FOR SALE, $56,700)
    01 WJ Limited, black on black, 157k (sold)
    96 XJ Classic, black on grey, 257K (sold)
    00 XJ Sport, fern green on grey, 79K (sold)
    97 ZJ 5.2 Limited, black on agate, 138K (totaled on 12/15/05 R.I.P.)
    98 ZJ 5.2 Limited, Dk rosewood on agate, 197K (sold)

i know there are some people on the forum with the Mov it big brakes. which use standard brembo bolting pattern. if one of them could just draw up specs for the bracket, i could have them produced for cheap. it would be easy to mount pretty much any fixed aluminum caliper i would think.

Registered

The conversion is a possibility and there are even commercially available components to assist in the swap.

You need the WJ knuckles and steering components (tie rod, drag link, rod ends).

Then of course you need WJ calipers, preferably the new style.

For rotors, if you use Stillens, you'll eliminate the warping associated with the stock composite rotors.

The rotors will need to be redrilled to the ZJ's 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

The ZJ hub/bearing bolts to the WJ knuckle, but you'll need a spacer. This is commercially available.
    1993 ZJ 5.2: Heavily modded. Currently on display to illustrate how entropy effects the universe.

1998 ZJ 5.9: 18" Tecnomagnesio Rallye wheels, Yokohama AVS S/T tires, all the Kolak goodies, various Mopar/Addco/Edelbrock/Kevin's/Stillen/JKS/K&N stuff. Abstract keying job courtesy of neighborhood hoodlums.

Registered

-=- originally posted by Kolak -=-
    The conversion is a possibility and there are even commercially available components to assist in the swap.

You need the WJ knuckles and steering components (tie rod, drag link, rod ends).

Then of course you need WJ calipers, preferably the new style.

For rotors, if you use Stillens, you'll eliminate the warping associated with the stock composite rotors.

The rotors will need to be redrilled to the ZJ's 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

The ZJ hub/bearing bolts to the WJ knuckle, but you'll need a spacer. This is commercially available.
    That's exactly the kinda info I need, thanks Nick.
    '02 Mercedes Benz CLK 55 AMG
    R.I.P

'98 Platinum Grand Cherokee 5.9 Ltd.
    Soon to be supercharged...

Rebuilt 360 .020'' over, increasd CR | Ported heads | MP windage tray | Ported M-1 | 210x cam | 1.65 rollers | Ported stock tb | K&N FIPK w/custom ram/true cold air | Mopar Headers | Mopar PCM | Jacobs 8.5 wires | Modified CKP sensor for 2-3* timing | APS 2,800 Converter | ASP crank pulley | Built 46re w/Transgo | Addco sways | Energy poly bushings | H&R springs | 18" Cobra R's | 265/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sports | Slotted rotors | Hawk race pads | more crap I'm prob forgetting

'03 Buell Firebolt XB9R

Race kit (muffler, filter, ecu)

Here is a write-up on converting an '88XJ to WJ brakes. Lots of info.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/bra...kes03/booster/
    5.9 ZJ SCT tuned PCM/ KJK CAI/ Thorley headers with 3" Magnaflow cat and muffler/ Modded kegger/ TransGo shift kit/ Vanco brake kit/ Braided steel brake lines/ Mopar cupholder insert!

yeah, looks like you would have to do some cutting on the axle... the sway bar brackets i think.. hmm

Registered

Dan from Burnsville Offroad did the swap on a TJ long ago and didn't report the need to do any cutting. Here's his article:

http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/01_02.html
    1993 ZJ 5.2: Heavily modded. Currently on display to illustrate how entropy effects the universe.

1998 ZJ 5.9: 18" Tecnomagnesio Rallye wheels, Yokohama AVS S/T tires, all the Kolak goodies, various Mopar/Addco/Edelbrock/Kevin's/Stillen/JKS/K&N stuff. Abstract keying job courtesy of neighborhood hoodlums.

has anyoen ever tried to pur the stock ZJ front calipers/rotors on teh rear after doing a WJ swap? i imagine that woudl stop on a freakin dime if you could do it
    1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
    ML Headers - 3" FM70 catback - Vortech Blower - Stillen Brakes - Ported Kegger - SCT Tuned - Addco & Hellwig Sways - H&R Springs - Grabber UHP Tires - Alpine/Infinity Stereo - E-Codes w/ 55W Bi-Xenons

Ben away for a while so havn't been following the forum. I just did the brake conversion and except for a small welding job it all bolts together. My project is a bit different but the axles and brakes apply to TJ/XJ/ZJ the parts are as follows: 00 WJ Knuckle and tie rod ends, 02 TJ hub and axle shafts, 99 Crown Vic rotor, 96 Cobra caliper, JKS .25" spacer tie rod and drag link. I used a D30 hp non disco from a XJ because it had 3.73s and is at least equal in strencth to the Ruby D44 but a lot cheeper. All of the links proveded some of the info needed but each was a bit wrong. You don't have to cut and grind anything (small exception I had to fslightly file ond of the Cobra caliper brackets for clearance) as long as you keep the TREs on the bottom, stock, and don't attempt to mount them on top of the arms. The relationship of the hub/Balljoints/knuckle dictate a .25" spacer be welded to the knuckle (must be welded). I initialy was going to use the XJ hubs/axles but got a good deal on TJs (larger ujoint) so went with them I was goint to use the WJ calipers but found too many problems reported, they weigh about 3 times as much as the Cobra calipers and are made of steel which I think is at least partialy responsible for the warpages reported. There are a couple of advantages to using this setup, one of which is getting rid of the TJ/XJ/ZJ linkage which is junk and causes bump steer and toe changes. Taking it further I am using Lincoln MK7 rear disks (cheeper than Cobra and I just happen to have a set) on a 8.8 along with Cobra hydroboost and mc all designed to work together. One other little thing used is the WJ control arms which are much stronger and allow more tire clearance, need minor mods to bolt on.

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery/hssss
    41 Willys
    '04 WJ Overland
    '04 WJ Freedom
    '93 Cobra (won't go up logging trails)
    '78 Bronco/Jeep crawler
    '41 Willys PU/TJ lotts of stuff including
    blown small block
    Cherokee/Exploder axles
    700R4
    stretched cab and frame