Thread: what tire size is 265/75R16 in inches?

Default what tire size is 265/75R16 in inches?

I hate those suv/lt numbers. Can someone tell me what the actual size is in inches?
    I have: Black '83 Cj-7 laredo with rebuilt 258, d300, crappy 2:73 gears, Howell TBI, GM Hei Ignition, Chevy Blower motor upgrade, 33" BF Goodrich TA, RE 4.5 lift, AR767's...

I want: D44's w/4.10, S-10 or Jimmy lighted RV mirror, Original Laredo steps...

And if you're extremely lazy: 31.6"

thanks and yes I am lazy
    I have: Black '83 Cj-7 laredo with rebuilt 258, d300, crappy 2:73 gears, Howell TBI, GM Hei Ignition, Chevy Blower motor upgrade, 33" BF Goodrich TA, RE 4.5 lift, AR767's...

Registered

For future reference, the first number is the width in centimeters... If you divide this number by roughly 25 (25.4, actually, but 25 makes for easy math), you get the width in inches...

The next number is the height of one sidewall expressed as a percentage of the width of the tire... In your case, the "75" means that the height of one sidewall is 75% of the measurement of the tire width... So if your tire is 265cm wide (a little over 10.5 inches), then one sidewall is about 7.75" tall...

Since you've got two lengths of sidewall from bottom to top, you double this figure (so your two sidewalls total out at about 15.5") and add in the third number (height of the wheel), in this case 16", for a tire a little over 31.5" tall...

So to recap:

First number/25.4=width in inches

(Second number x width in inches) x 2 + wheel height = diameter of wheel

Make sense?
    75 years and 350,000 miles of fun:

1983 CJ-7 No maintenance, just mods

1998 M3/4/5 No mods, just maintenance

1983 R65LS No intention of modding it, don't know how to maintain it

Sure, it makes sense... but so much easier to push the Tire Calc Clicky

And i know you are lazy

:rockz:

Registered

-=- originally posted by hencini -=-
    For future reference, the first number is the width in centimeters... If you divide this number by roughly 25 (25.4, actually, but 25 makes for easy math), you get the width in inches...

The next number is the height of one sidewall expressed as a percentage of the width of the tire... In your case, the "75" means that the height of one sidewall is 75% of the measurement of the tire width... So if your tire is 265cm wide (a little over 10.5 inches), then one sidewall is about 7.75" tall...

Since you've got two lengths of sidewall from bottom to top, you double this figure (so your two sidewalls total out at about 15.5") and add in the third number (height of the wheel), in this case 16", for a tire a little over 31.5" tall...

So to recap:

First number/25.4=width in inches

(Second number x width in inches) x 2 + wheel height = diameter of wheel

Make sense?
    Our second battle begins................................

The first number is not in cm it's in mm. If your calculations are correct then you're saying that there are 25.4cm for every 1in. Not true. There are 2.54cm (exactly) in 1in.

I'll explain how you might have gotten this mistaken. There is 1cm for every 10mm. You basically just skipped a step in you dimensional anaylsis, you multiplied the 10mm through 2.54cm to get your 25.4. First, to get the width in inches you need to divide:

265mm /10mm=26.5cm

Now that you're in cm you can divide that number by 2.54cm, to get the amount of width in inches:

26.5cm/2.54cm=10.433in

Your end results are not that far off, but this is the correct way to do it.

Chris
    1983 CJ7
    -OBDI 4.0L
    -AW4
    -ARB's
    1999 TJ Sport
    -AW4
    -Ford 9
    -ARB's
    2001 TJ
    1997 XJ
    1995 ZJ
    2000 WJ

Registered

Actually there are 25.4mm per inch so you only need to do the following calculations:

265(mm)/25.4(mm/in)=10.433(tire width in inches)

This is what hencini was trying to say......his only fault was saying the first number was in centemeters. It is actually milimeters.

hencini was right in his calculations.....and it was the correct way to do it. Using the 25.4mm/inch conversion factor to start with eliminates an extra calculation (converting mm to cm).

1976 CJ5, 350 SBC, 4sp, work in progress.

Registered

-=- originally posted by esauber -=-
    Actually there are 25.4mm per inch so you only need to do the following calculations:

265(mm)/25.4(mm/in)=10.433(tire width in inches)

This is what hencini was trying to say......his only fault was saying the first number was in centemeters. It is actually milimeters.

hencini was right in his calculations.....and it was the correct way to do it. Using the 25.4mm/inch conversion factor to start with eliminates an extra calculation (converting mm to cm).

Well thanks captain obvious. I know you can convert that over, but he siad many times that the width was in cm, I just wanted to let him know that the correct amount of cm in an inch.

:shush:

Chris
    1983 CJ7
    -OBDI 4.0L
    -AW4
    -ARB's
    1999 TJ Sport
    -AW4
    -Ford 9
    -ARB's
    2001 TJ
    1997 XJ
    1995 ZJ
    2000 WJ

who gives a crap!

This is nothing to argue about,

Just use the damn calculator and shut the F up! lol...

Registered

Hey, thanks everyone for the metric system lesson!!

Hey, it was late... I knew there was something wrong with what I was typing... Clearly the tire isn't 265 cm wide (almost 9 feet), but the end result is the same, just off by a factor of 10...

Anyway, thanks to those who caught it...

EDIT: Besides, I had it right in my "recap" section... I didn't think anyone would read the top part, anyway...
    75 years and 350,000 miles of fun:

1983 CJ-7 No maintenance, just mods

1998 M3/4/5 No mods, just maintenance

1983 R65LS No intention of modding it, don't know how to maintain it