Thread: Codes P0141 & P0161 plus Check Engine Light

Icon313 Codes P0141 & P0161 plus Check Engine Light

My check engine light came on yesterday morning with a P0141 and P0161 codes. Looked them up on WJJeeps.com.

P0141 (M)
    O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

P0161 (M)
    O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

Checked underneath and all connections looked intact. Not exactly sure how these are set up and how to tell if its a problem with one sensor or both. Anyone have an idea what might have triggered these?

This is both O2 sensors after the converters. Check for a blown fuse first. Check all fuses underhood and interior first.

thanks, I'll check it out.

if the second digit in the code you get is a "0" then it is a government regulated/mandated code and this list applies. Scroll down a bit and you'll see the explanations.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tec...l=&ticket=none

So your codes are:

P Powertrain
    0 Government Required Code
    1 Measurement of Air and Fuel
    4 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit
    1 Bank 1 Sensor 2 Malfunction

P Powertrain
    0 Government Required Code
    1 Measurement of Air and Fuel
    6 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit
    1 Bank 2 Sensor 2 Malfunction

Sure, it is exactly what SilverLimited posted, but wanted to show you how to read your own codes with out a Vag-com or DRB III scanner.

I think steps to check them are to see what voltage is read when the vehicle is warmed up and at idle. This is where a service manual is more than worth its weight in gold.

Cool

We must be on the same maintenance schedule. I think this is maybe the 3rd or 4th time I've either upgraded or had to fix something and SilverLimited has had the exact same thing going on.

What did you end up doing to fix this? Just replace the sensor?
    2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (4.7 V8)
    Lowrider Haven

Indeed, FSM along with wjjeeps.com can be very helpful. Since you have a problem with both downstream sensors, it is probably the downstream sensor relay that has quit on you. It is located in the PDC (power distribution center) and is labeled 34 in this pic, PDC.
    2001 WJ Limited, 4.7L, Quadra-Drive -- Kenne Bell Supercharger, Stillen Rotors with MM pads (F/R), Addcos (F/R), Kolak 3 inch exhaust with large case MagnaFlow, Rogue Chrome wheels, DRL activated, and Blaupunkt 3.5" dash speakers.

This is an old post that popped back up again.

The dealer replaced both sensors to clear the problem I had last January. Haven't had a reoccurance since. My bad, I should have reported back on the original thread what the resolution was.

05 WK Limited 5.7L
    01 WJ Limited 4.7L
    98 Corvette C5 Coupe
    00 WJ Laredo 4.0L - long gone
    00 XJ Cherokee Classic 4.0L - long gone

Registered

I just got a P0161 fault code. What did the dealership charge you for parts and labor?