Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trac-Lock limited slip diff

Registered

Question Trac-Lock limited slip diff

How important is the Trac-Lock Differential. Is it considered a must-have for off-road use?
    Liberty - Only in America!
    02 Silver Limited w/Cloth Seats
    Tow Pkg, Security Grp, ABS, OH Comp, Select-Track, Track-Lock, Pwr Seat, Dp.Tint, & Infinity CD w/remote.
    Mfg Date: 11/01/01

it is the next best thing next to a locker. Good option
    98 5.9 K&N, Mopar Performance ECU
    98 5.2 Ltd slate
    "FAST IS FUN"
    my jeep

04 Mazda Miata MSM Turbo

Banned

actually, you are wrong. the trash-lok is a piece of ****.i have them front & rear in my wj and they take a lonnnnnnnngggggg time to engage, and once they do, the wheel with the most traction barely spins while the other is still spinning like crazy. they suck... bad option for off road, but i guess it is better than open diff. getta locker or lok-rite or no slip or something else. thats just MHO.

------------------
    wjeeper
    99 bright platinum grand cherokee laredo, quadra tracII, tow package,3.73 gears,up country, 2 sets of wheels/tires, 4.7L, LOADED

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neil:
    it is the next best thing next to a locker. Good option</font>
    I would agree for mild off-roading it is a good option, though anything more and you would be better spending money on a lock-right. But we are talking about a Liberty

Dnmeistr

Dnmeistr
    82 CJ7, T-18, 4.88, 84:1, SOA, 36" TSL's, Detroit SL, On board Air
    Hydraboost, Narrowed C Chief front D44, Isuzu D44 rear
    Lizerds front and rear bumpers and steering box brace.
    http://www.outdoorwire.com/4x4/jeep/...p-l/smithd.htm

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wjeeper:
    actually, you are wrong. the trash-lok is a piece of ****.i have them front & rear in my wj and they take a lonnnnnnnngggggg time to engage, and once they do, the wheel with the most traction barely spins while the other is still spinning like crazy. they suck... bad option for off road, but i guess it is better than open diff. getta locker or lok-rite or no slip or something else. thats just MHO.</font>

Neil said "...next best thing...".

So, what is it that you know of that is better than Trac-Lok, but not as good as a locker? Just what is it, that outperformes a limited slip, but not as good as a locker? No flaming intended, I'm just wondering?

------------------
    Silver KJ Ltd. with EVERYTHING. Bone stock except slush mats from Jeepinator.

Registered

Exclamation

So, the Liberty’s Trac-lock Limited Slip Diff. is actually two items in one? This is not standard equipment on the 4wd-Liberty. If one buys the 4wd version, or any other 4wd Jeep without this option, how well to they perform in off-road driving? Will all 4 tires spin at the same rate when 4lo is engaged? It almost seems plain dumb not to have some type of a locking-limited slip diff. on a 4wd vehicle. Why would this even be an option on a 4wd Jeep?

------------------
    Liberty - Only in America.
    Tow Pkg, Security Grp, ABS, OH Comp, Select-Track, Track-Lock, Pwr Seat, Dp.Tint, & Infinity CD w/remote.

The trashloc isn't much better than an open diff. I'd not waste the money and put a real traction aid in the axle.

If you are asking because you are considering the package for the KJ that includes it, it only makes sense to get it.
    If you already have your Liberty and are wanting some aftermarket traction control device, get a real locker.

In other words, YES if you don't have your Liberty and NO if you do.
    01 Steel Blue Limited WJ
    My Jeep

Registered

Thumbs up

Yes, I'm looking to buy the new Liberty, and the Trac-Loc LSD is offered as an option. It's included in the Off-Road Pkg-$765, or seperate at $285.

Thanks for all the feedback. It will be included.

------------------
    Liberty - Only in America.

Banned

thank you offcamber. MattBrewSucks, they were already in my jeep. in both axles. in BOTH ends it sucks ass. better than a trashlok?, hmmmm, lets see, no slip, lok-rite, powr-lok, sure-lok, vari lok, and there are others. answer yor question?

------------------
    wjeeper
    99 bright platinum grand cherokee laredo, quadra tracII, tow package,3.73 gears,up country, 2 sets of wheels/tires, 4.7L, LOADED

Banned

oh, and i wouldnt even call it a limited slip-its too ****ty

------------------
    wjeeper

Registered

better than a trashlok?, hmmmm, lets see, no slip, lok-rite, powr-lok, sure-lok, vari lok, and there are others. answer yor question? </font>
    Kind of...but not really. Are those manufacturers of LSDs, or diff lockers?

I'm only asking because those names all sound like lockers, as opposed to LSDs.

------------------

Banned

k, here is how i know: when i have my jeep in 4lo, and my wheel is locked in either direction, the front inside wheel skids. you hear really loud chirps. and in offroad situations, when the wheel without traction is spinning, the other wheel with more traction starts spinning. well, a little. its like the rear wheel. it only spins a little because, well, its a trash lok. they suck ass.

------------------
    wjeeper

when i have my jeep in 4lo,..... and in offroad situations, when the wheel without traction is spinning, the other wheel with more traction starts spinning.
    </font>
    Not meaning to start a flame war, but it sounds like the problem is not the trac-lok..
    Maybe the tires or
    you have got way to much horse-power

Trac-lok is not a cure all.. If you are in mud, even with welded together axle, you will spin..
    Is that where you do most of your wheelin.?

On the rocks, it seems kinda hard to imagine the wheel with more traction is spinning..

------------------
    &gt; '87 XJ
    &gt;&gt; '72 CJ
    &gt;&gt;&gt; '89 XJ
    &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; '94 YJ
    &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; '02 KJ
    ..'Jeepin Web Site'..
    "Get In..Sit Down..Shut Up..Hang On"..
    Jeeps: :'87XJ '72CJ '89XJ '94YJ '02KJ '90 XJ '97XJ
    ..Get In...Sit Down....Shut Up...&..Hang On......

Banned

well, it would barely spin atall, only a little. and i have a totally stock wj with 235 hp. trust me. trak-loks suck. period.

------------------
    wjeeper

Registered

Is it me or did Jeep never put a LSD in a ZJ or WJ from the factory (except for the QD WJ not sure if they had that viscous hunk 'o' crap hydro-loc up front). As far as the trac-loc sucking, sure it does if you're comparing it to a detroit or spool or some other worthy LOCKER. I'll even say it's not as good as an aftermarket limited slip unit. That being said it is a damn sight better than an open differential where you have no chance of giving power to both wheels. I have a trac-loc in the rear of my ZJ with 93K on it and it still works just fine. Sure it's no locker but both wheels spin in any situation and a tad bit of brake even helps it work better. Since you're buying new get the package that ncludes it. Otherwise you'll have to live with an open diff until you decide to dump the $500 plus install for a real locker (read Detroit). Anyway what's $285 in the scheme of a $25K vehicle. I don't see how it can't be worth about 1% of your overall expenditures.
    -1996 ZJ 5.2, 231, 4.5" S3Z's+spacers , 33x10.50 Swamper TSL Radials on AR767's, homemade rear tb, front adjustable tb and tb bracket, Clayton's Hard rockers, homemade roof tire carrier, carbon fiber dash

Registered

The trac-lock works great for pulling out a boat or light off roading, If you already have a trac lock ans want to up-grade you can add a Powertrac No-slip , If it is open you can add a No-slip or an ARB , The No-slip works great in ours ,

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rusty:
    If you already have a trac lock ans want to up-grade you can add a Powertrac No-slip </font>
    Does that replace the limited slip or does it just improve the Trac Lock.

------------------
    Stone White Limited w/ Selec-Trac
    Sunroof,6 pack Infinity CD,Towing Package,Skid Plates,
    Leather w/ Seat Covers,
    ABS and Trac-Lok,
    Pirelli Scorpion AT 245-70-SR16
    K&N Oil Filter HP-2009
    K&N Cone Air Filter RE-0930
    K&N PreCleaner #22-8033PK
    MagnaFlow Muffler #12589 Wide Open Design
    Amsoil Synthetic Oil and ATF
    Daystar 2.5" lift in Box
    Rusty's rear Long Travel Shocks
    Waiting for Long Travel Front Strut

http://www.liberty-4-all.jeepz.com
    ***Will no longer respond to any post of Dillinger-DilBoi has NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE to say***

2006 CRD Sport...still stock for now
    02 Saraha Edition KJ-"LLL"=15.50"...GONE!!!
    Founder of L.O.S.T. www.lostkjs.com

Banned

ya, ur prolly right. mine are screwed up. DAMN! it actually does work sorta ok when i apply brakes, but still not up to par. if only i had automatic posi in the back like my truck...

------------------
    wjeeper

Registered

I'm in a similar situation, trying to decide what to order. I have very little offroad experience and probably won't do much more than a fire road, or drive on the beach. Is the trac-loc beneficial for these types of situations? I'm just concerned about getting the most traction that I can in the sand, some light mud, etc...
    2000 TJ Sport
    2002 KJ Sport

L.O.S.T. #003003

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast