Thread: Battery discharging

Registered

Question Battery discharging

My 1989 Jeep Cherokee (Sport) always shows the amp gauge in the discharge (almost in the red) side when ever I run the heater. I have had this check a few times and nothing wrong is found. Anyone else had this problem? Any advice is appreciated.

Check the voltage at the battery manually. If its OK 12-14ish....then you are fine and the guage/sending unit is bad. If its below 12 volts, then you have to replace or check your alternator.
    Sold all jeeps.

I suggest you take it to Autozone and have your battery/alternator load tested for free. If they're both good there's probably just something wrong with the gauge. (there's no sending unit for a voltage gauge ) It could just be the wiring to the gauge is old and corroded or loose.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!

Yup, if it's an '89 I'd bet old/corroded wiring or faulty ground is the most likely culprit.

Registered

Default I am have the same problem.

I am have some problem with mine. Something is still killing my battery. It will start fine after a boost and will start anytime after it has been boosted or battery charged. The Voltage both on the gauge and volt meter show up as 14.4V or variously Higher. And Will start fine with in the 1hr. I have changed the post end and a new battery. The Battery is holding a Charge.
    But Something else is sucking the life from the battery. I have made sure that all the light are off. It just seem that when I go to start it in the morning the battery well drained.. So What Problem would could this be?