Thread: U-Joint Axle Shafts For A WJ

Icon313 U-Joint Axle Shafts For A WJ

My front axle shaft CV Joints are trash, and I figure that if I have to remove the axle shafts to clean and reboot them, I might as well replace them with U-Joint axle shafts. I've been looking for the procedure, but I was only able to find this article, and it refers to a ZJ. Is the procedure pretty much the same on a WJ? Also, where is the best place to find U-Joint axle shafts for a WJ?
    1995 ZJ Orvis Edition
    1999 WJ Limited
    1995 XJ Sport
    2007 KJ Limited

Registered
    School: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Home:Alamo, California

They aren't cheap. I remember a long time ago Mike lib was sourcing them out and they ran about $300 a side or something ridiculous like that. The WJ's are a bit wider than ZJ/TJ/XJ and all that so you can't just swap over. I never had any problems with my CV joints and I wheeled on em pretty hard. With the varilock or open diffs, CV's hold up pretty well. (better than my spooled 44 and its respective u-joints anyway ) Plus with a full time trasfercase and the unit-bearing hubs, I hear that u-joints can be a bit noisy on the street (cause they are always turning), but that's just what I've heard. Bottom line, There is no need to swap over to u-jointed shafts with open diffs and 33" or smaller tires. Of course I don't live on the east coast where salt and harsh winters can deteriorate CV boots and joints, So take it for what it's worth.

Registered

Yea it'll run you ~$300 per side + u-joints. Not cheap. You can get the outers from the dealer and have say Moser make you inners. Somewhat cheaper option would be to get TJ outers although your ABS may act up from time to time and they put the ujoint a bit further in, not that it seems to matter much. Adds a bit of vibration on tight turns. I actually run 1 WJ outer and the other side is TJ's cause I twisted the ears off. Quite honestly I don't know that those D30 u-joint axles will prove any stronger solution than stock CV's. I've grenaded my fair shar of CV shafts but then I pounded on them pretty hard. Haven't done that much wheeling with u-joints and after Moab and KY GS's one side twisted the ears and recently I've discovered that the splines are twisted as well. Though cost wise I think dealer supplied CV replacements come out to something like 400 per side.

Cool. Thanks fellows. I guess I'll just go the CV route then.
    1995 ZJ Orvis Edition
    1999 WJ Limited
    1995 XJ Sport
    2007 KJ Limited