Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gas mileage 5.2L

Registered

Default gas mileage 5.2L

I am sure this has been beat to death but the search is not working right now.

I recently took ownership of a 93 GC with a 5.2L. What kind of gas mileage should I expect from this Jeep?

The first tank we got 13 mpg, all around thown driving. Cleaned injectors, new plugs, fuel and air filter. Came up to 13.6 mpg.

Gas mileage is not a big concern but if it should get better I would like to know. I have also installed a 3" cat back exhaust.

Previous owner told me he got up to 18 around town and 28 on the highway. I think he is full of ----.
    93 GC 5.2L
    You don't shoot to kill, you shoot to stay alive.
    Criminals love gun control - it makes their jobs safer.

I think it has MOSTLY to do with how you drive it. I used to get around 13 MPG or so while applying generous throttle. Lately I've slowed it down quite a bit b/c gas prices are ridiculous and I can average 15 in the city.
    1998/5.9/Claytons/8.8/HP30/36's/halfdoors
    1981/FJ60/2.5OME/33's/Restored
    2004/AudiA4/Sport/BBS/Fast-ish
    2004/WJ/V8/Limited/SkiDuty

hey congrads
    i have a 94 5.2
    it originally had the Np249 transfercase in it
    that is all time 4wd
    stock i was getting like 16-17
    i put on a dynomax super turbo catback and a dual K&N turbocity intake
    and that got me to i was averaging about high 18s-low 19s

then, i lifted it with an re3.5"
    and put on some 31s
    and i was getting like high 14s low 15

i swapped in an NP242 transfercase, gives you the 2wd option
    and i am now averaging solid 15s for the most

but the best way to get better gas millage is to stay light footed
    put the overhead computer on instant MPG
    and drive by that
    stay at a speed which gives you best millage

make sure your tires are properly aired up
    run some lucas injector cleaner through it
    marvel mysry oil is great for keeping the engine running good, dump some in the tank
    new airfilter
    plugs
    cap
    rotor
    prob an O2 sensor
    possible a fuel filter

i think thats all

13 is real low tho, deinately should be doign better than that
    86' Cherokee.. 2.8L..3" lift, 256,000 miles original trans motor rears tc...~Electric fan...
    ~Custom Switch panel on glovebox..~Custom overhead console..~Rear auxilary lights..

94' Grand Cherokee (DD)5.2L V8~242~Preformance ECU~Custom TurboCity Dual Intake W/ K&N Filters
    ~ML Headers~Custom Made Dynomax 3" Header-Back Exhaust
    ~3.5" RE~32's~5.9 E-Fan~UberRare Red 5.9hood :happpyd:
    ~RE adj. front trac bar~Rear Tire Carier~Remote Start~MX6 Shocks
    Soundclip of my Exhaust (right click and save as)

My Webpage(in the making...still....)

I have a 95 5.2 ZJ, and get just around 14MPG with mostly city driving. But I'll admit that I could probably get better MPG by having a lighter right foot.

I am stock with only a K&N drop in air filter, which didn't give me any gains in any way. Performance or MPG wise that is. An exhaust to complement an intake upgrade would probably help it though.
    1995 Orvis Ed. V8: Drop-in K&N, 760x U-joint shafts(totaled)

1997 Orvis Ed. 5.2L, NP242, Trac-LokD44a, tow hooks, 5% tint, 297x front shafts, Cobra CB w/ PA & 4' firestik, grill guard, cheap fog lights, custom "true" dual exhaust, 35x12.50R16 Regrooved SSR's, 7" lift on short arms, 3.5" RE springs with 4" stacked spacers, KOR rear post extensions, 3" bumpstop extensions, Gen II disco's, removed rear swaybar, all 8 adj. RE SF CA's, OME SS, KOR front track bar conversion, JKS rear TB, KOR steering box brace, 1.25" wheel spacers, spare shafts and plenty of tools

Registered

Look at my sig and you will see what I am running. I have the 249 transfer case and I will get somewhere between 20-25mpg on the highway depending on weather conditions and what speed I am going. Right now I am on track for a 15mpg average when I work, still a college student. I drive in stop and go traffic to work and back so it sees a veriaty of RPMs. When i am in traffic and when the engine is cold she sees no more than 2500rpm and when she is warmed up she will see the most of 4000rpm unless i feel the need to take her up to 5200rpm.
    1994 ZJ 5.2

K&N CAI, Magnaflow 3" muffler, Fastman 50mm TB, Thorley Headers, Mike Leachy Tailpipe, M1 intake, Mopar Performance PCM, Transgo Shift Kit, KRC 210x Cam, Comp 1.6 RR, jeep Aluminum valve covers

2000 Z28 6spd Camaro
    cam, boltons, 12 bolt

2006 HMAMer of the year

My old 5.2 would average about 13 city and 17-18 highway. Highest I ever got was 19.2 and that was with the cruise set at 65 for about 40 miles.

I have a 93 GC with 5.2 I have a K and N filter, bigger CAT and 2.5 " exhaust with flowmaster muffler, brand new O2 sensor new plugs wires cap rotor, cleaned throttle body last week. I'm at 152,000 now have owned the jeep since 64,000. I have got 14 mpg ONCE since owning the and average 13mpg on highway 10-9 city. I have done every step these guys talk about and nothing increases my mpg. And no I don't have a lead foot. I only have the K and N filter for the stock box but I keep seeing homemade K and N style intakes for like $50, guys are these any good?

P.S. I was getting 7mpg the last few weeks so I replaced the O2 sensor Wed and now back to the whopping 13mpg highway.
    2001 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 4x4 2" BB, 265/70/17 BFG ATs & 93 Grand cherokee,2 1/2 flowmaster exhaust , American racing wheels, BFG AT Tires, K and N Filter

Registered

Going by the overhead console readout.

About 12-14 city
    Highway around 17-18 mpg at 60Mph
    Highway arond 15-16 mpg at 80Mph

That's a 94 5.2L 249 t-case. 235/75R15 tires
    New cap, rotor, syn oil everywhere, all filters, plugs and wires.

I don't expect the overhead console to be completely accurate....but I haven't calculated it by hand in a while so these numbers should be close enough.

One thing I have noticed....posting your highway MPG is completely pointless unless you post the average speed you were travelling while obtaining those mpg numbers. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between mileage travelling at 50 mph and 80 mph...at 50 mph I'm sure I could get over 20 mph.
    Stroked 88 XJ slammed with 35's

Registered

I go between 70-75mph. Tires, gears, total weight affect everything. If you are hauling stuff all of the time then expect to get crappy gas milage. I noticed headers and the 3" exhaust helped the most. Also altitude has an affect on the gas milage. The higher you are the thinner the air so you are running richer than someone closer to sea level. I live in indiana and it's only 660 ft above sea level.
    1994 ZJ 5.2

K&N CAI, Magnaflow 3" muffler, Fastman 50mm TB, Thorley Headers, Mike Leachy Tailpipe, M1 intake, Mopar Performance PCM, Transgo Shift Kit, KRC 210x Cam, Comp 1.6 RR, jeep Aluminum valve covers

2000 Z28 6spd Camaro
    cam, boltons, 12 bolt

Registered

purdueranger,

Just curious as to what tire size you have.

What's stock on the early ZJ's?
    Stroked 88 XJ slammed with 35's

OK, my highway speeds are 60 mph I have 235 75 15 tires. Never been over 14 mpg highway even at sea level or in the mtns. I have always chalked it up to the 4wd all time. If you guys have some more suggestions I'm more than willing to try.
    2001 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 4x4 2" BB, 265/70/17 BFG ATs & 93 Grand cherokee,2 1/2 flowmaster exhaust , American racing wheels, BFG AT Tires, K and N Filter

Registered

Thanks for all the replys. I did put a high flow catalytic converter on when we did the exhaust (guess I should have called it a "Y back exhaust"), it did help power wise. I think changing the shift points will help too, it shifts way soon. I went out to do that yesterday and the water pump was leaking, just headed out to fix that now.

Tires are 235/75/15, going to put new mud terrains on this week but I am going to stay with the 235's.

I will let you know what I end up with gas mieage wise. Our Bronco only gets 10, so 13 is actually an improvement for us. LOL And the Jeep doesn't need premium.

The valley floor in Salt Lake is 4200 ft, and everything from there is up.
    93 GC 5.2L

Registered

I have 235/75R15 Goodyear Wranger RT/S tires on my rig. I also have the 3.73 gears. The stock size is 225/75R15 on my jeep. I don't go by what the overhead console says. if i did read it then my milage would be 35mpg on the highway. It is off when i have my performance PCM in and it is pretty much on when i am on the stock PCM.
    1994 ZJ 5.2

2000 Z28 6spd Camaro
    cam, boltons, 12 bolt

Registered

Just made a round trip to chicago in my '97 5.2. Got 17.7 at 74mph. Used to get about 19-19.1 when I was running Goodyear Eagles. Got Pirelli Scorpions now which seem to have a lot of rolling resistance. Mileage went to hell when I put them on. Other than great traction in snow, there is nothing to recommend them. I get about 15.6 in my day to day country-city mix. Got 16.6 with the Eagles.

Registered

sorry.....would not let me delete my post.
    '94 ZJ Ltd 5.2, CarSound Cat/MagnaFlow Muffler/2.5" pipe, K&N FIPK, Mopar Performance ECU, Kolak Ignition, 2" Teraflex BB, upcountry springs, ProComp MX6 shocks, OME SD40, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 31/10.5/15, Hayden Severe Duty Fan Clutch, Don-A-Vee Spare Tire Carrier (this rig does all the dirty work)
    1999 Lexus LS400 (Cush Drive)
    2002 Honda S2000 ("Spirited" Drive)

5.2 got about the same as the 5.9 ~20 freeway, ~really bad in town.

lately i've been treating every stoplight as a checkered flag and have been getting around 9-10 i think in the 5.9.

but just this last weekend i averaged my mileage coming home from school and i did 70-75 the whole way and got 19.57. i get better mileage when its cold outside.

rubiranch, i would try putting a new 02 sensor, that is really low mpg.
    98 5.9 Limited (my 2nd 5.9 and 3rd ZJ)
    Ice cream paint job
    Rear view mirror, Jumbo dice! Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice.

it's very unconsistent with mine. some weeks it'll be 10-11, other weeks it'll be 13-14, mostly city. today i had to go to pa and after i got back home i calculated 18mpg which surpised me. had traffic both ways and gassed it on the way back at least half way. that was $30 at 2.11 a gallon.

Registered

If what I am getting is low, I will improve it. I will test the 02, I am sure it has never been changed, nothing else has. The Jeep is really clean but was half a$$ maintained. Oil changes every 5000 miles with bulk 10w40 and the cheapest oil filter he could find. In 106,000 miles the plugs were only changed once an they installed AC spark plugs. They ran the cheapest 85-octane gas they could find and the air filter was a joke.

With the new exhaust, tune-up, fuel filter, injectors cleaned, and shift points changed, it does run a lot better.

Previous owner told me he loved the rear window defroster. Also pointed out the heated outside rear view mirrors, but also said he never turned them on!! (probably couldn't find the switch for the mirror heaters!) Yes, this guy is on top of things. He told me that if I turn off the overdrive it takes off from a stop better, it even climbs over curbs frontwards and backwards! Low range has only been used once.

Thanks for the input. These things ride weird.
    93 GC 5.2L

1993 ZJ with Full Time 4WD and 5.2 V8, 318. I got 16-23MPG, averaging 18 city, 22 highway, 16 winter

(WJ 4.0 I6 gets 14-19)
    2002 WJ Limited 4.7, Stock, Red Garnet Pearl Coat, Rogue Chrome, RB4 Nav, 101,000 Miles
    2012 KK Liberty Sport, 3.7, Stock, SelectTrak 4WD
    RETIRED 11/2010: 2007 WK Laredo Light Khaki Pearl Coat, Pecca Leather Seating (Puddy Color), 3.7L, QuadraTrak I 4WD, Sirius Satellite Radio, Viper 3000 Security, 30% tint, heated mirror upgrade. 157,000 MILES[/B]
    RETIRED 6/2007: 1999 WJ Laredo 4.0 w/Rusty's 2.5" Suspension Lift, Stillens, 245/75/R16 Bridgestone Dueler Revos, Racho 5409 SS, K&N Drop-In Filter, 148K. RB4, Blaupunkt 3.5" Tweeter/Midrange Upgrade.
    RETIRED 2002: 1993 ZJ Limited 5.2, stock w/oversized tires, 155K

Ericdag banged my sister XJ Matt 5.9's Avatar

i average 15-16 per tank.

and get 20-22 on the highway.

i would guess the o2 sensor would be the problem.

be light on the pedal!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast