Thread: Something wrong with Jeep, Drive feels like Neutral

Default Something wrong with Jeep, Drive feels like Neutral

Was driving and all of a sudden my rpms started to jump but car wasn't moving any fasster. Drive is running like if it were in Neutral. I had to drive the last few blocks home in 2. I did the ignition trick and saw the codes P0700 and P1685. Anyone know what those mean? What could be wrong? I have the 7/70k powertrain warranty offered by Jeep when I bought mine and just this last Thursday purchased the Max Care warranty but haven't received paperwork yet. My car is literally 3yrs and 10days old and only has about 27k miles.

Sounds like your vehicle went into "limp" mode.
    I dunno about Jeeps, but VW's have a limp mode that the car goes through as a "safety" measure when its computer senses something awry.
    "BoeserBlick"
    "Paradise lies under the shadow of swords."
    Team EEP
    Click here to see my previous sled.

Registered

P700 is the "generic" transmission code and P1685 is a SKIM (key as in ignition key) code. The following is Copy/Paste from the '02 Service Manual:

P0700 - EATX Controller DTC Present - This SBEC III or JTEC DTC indicates that the EATX or Aisin controller has an active fault and has illuminated the
    MIL via a CCD (EATX) or SCI (Aisin) message. The specific fault must be acquired from the EATX via CCD or
    from the Aisin via ISO-9141.

P1685 - SKIM Invalid Key (Wrong or Invalid Key MSG Received From SKIM) - The engine controler has received an invalid key from the
    SKIM.

Now after reading all that gibberish, lets try to make some sense out of it. After reading a bunch more in the SM and the Diagnostic manuals, I have a hunch that this is a "communication" problem betweeen the computers. To make a long story short (kinda) the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is the main and engine computer. The TCM is the Trans Control Module. The BCM is the Body Control Module and the SKIM is the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module. They all talk to the PCM via a (serial) communications line and the PCM sorts it all out and does the "proper" thing with it and if something is wrong, displays a code. The P1685 code (in the book) says to look for a comm problem. The fact you have codes from two different modules also could indicate a comm. problem. Obviously, this is where the diagnostics tool (DRBIII) that the dealer has becomes necessary.

The LIberty does have a "limp home" mode, but that is usually triggered by an engine problem or something really bad. IIRC the MIL lamp blinks in limp home mode.

FWIW, I am not a dealer service tech or anything close. I'm just one of those that has been involved with "black box" electonics at work. I do have the '02 Service and Diagnostics manuals, but they are almost worthless for troubleshooting problems without the diagnostic tool. They point you in the general direction and that's it. I wouldn't be too surprised if a GOOD dealer service tech probably hasn't seen this before. Let us know what it ends up.

Allen T.

Registered

PLEASE? And BTW what is the key trick? My Libby travels in remote areas. I'm trying to accumulate as much info as possible.

Many years ago I had a Plymouth Horizon. Its favorite trick was stranding me in the most desolate area possible at the worst possible hour in the most miserabel weather. The only mechanical device that was capable of bringing tears to my eyes. It now rest in many pieces in its most disirable remotness.:bewhew:
    9Jeeps
    Never try to teach a pig to sing...

Registered

I recomend to check for unlock conections, moisture in conections, and wires broken or bitted. Cold weather can cause a problem of this kind too. If you´re under warranty use it.

Sunroof 4x4 silver sport,´02
    dirth and wind
    215/85/16 Toyo + .75
    Greasable LBJ
    KONI shocks
    OME 4 coils + 1.5
    Mobil1 5-50
    Mazatlan, Mexico = 2.25 actual lift

yep...u went on limp mode....
    have em check your tranny computer, and solenoid....(went through this a while ago, and it was a nightmarish month)
    Driving just for the EF of it._/L.O.S.T North East #000086_/Silver KJ 2oo2 Limited_/ [Sylvania Silverstars]_/L.O.S.T in NYC since 2oo2_/
    www.KJJEEP.com_/www.JeepKJ.com

Been in any deep water lately? If your tranny sucked any water, your tranny could be shot.

Happened to my TJ....
    Later-
    Rich

Registered

Thats a classic symptom of having little to no fluid pressure/fluid.
    88' Cherokee 4.0 267,000 miles (rod through block)

5.9L's x 3:
    One Blown (and blew up)-Slate
    One Stock. (sold)-White
    One NA Animal. (sold)-White

00' GC 4.7L chipped, exhaust, intake

04' Prius Hybrid 128,000 51.1mpg (dd)

89' Porsche 944S2 39,000miles(project car)

Fluids were all okay and no travels through water of any kind. Haven't taken my Jeep anything close to offraod in over 2 yrs. Took it to the stealership and they said the tranny had to be taken out and that it was covered under the warranty. Will post all info as soon as I get it back with details on what was done.

Registered

Will,

Glad to hear this all worked out, especially that the dealership is doing this under warranty! Hope she's back on the road soon!

-Bob

Well dealer said it was all fixed so I went and picked it up before they closed. 10m later I start feeling a bump from below when I begin to accelerate. Happened again but a little harder and the light came on again. Was trying to get on a highway from a short merge and when I pressed the gas it felt like it had no balls. Even flooring it and it wqasn't doing much.

Also at 50mph the rpms were hovering between 2500 and 3000 rpm. I believe it's usually around 2000 for that speed.

So I dropped it off last night and filled out the form for their drop-off box and am waiting for the new results.

Registered

Check how far are you from off your warranty, and make sure they solve the problem for good and be sure they explain the problem to you, they usualy don´t want to talk about their work, but thats your truck man, they can leave you with a weak tranny just to pass the waranty limit.

Insist in knowing every detail about your truck failure, that will push them to do the rigth thing.

I had to "educate" local stealership, I stoped going to do any service there for over a year, and now there´s a new manager that treats me as I like, a customer, don´t ask much.

Sunroof 4x4 silver sport,´02
    dirth and wind
    215/85/16 Toyo + .75
    Greasable LBJ
    KONI shocks
    OME 4 coils + 1.5
    Mobil1 5-50
    Mazatlan, Mexico = 2.25 actual lift

Registered

did you ever get a resolution to this? It seems I may be having a similar issue...

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...hlight=code+po
    C. Blaylock
    99 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L
    4" lift 33 x 12.50 15 Pro Comp M/T's

Maybe you got too much water in the car? It could also be in a limp mode. Go to the jeep dealership and have them check it out.