Thread: WAL-MART Super Tech Synthetic oil................

Question WAL-MART Super Tech Synthetic oil................

Does anyone know who make the Super Tech synthetic and synthetic blend oil for Wal-Mart?
    It may not be as good as Mobil 1, but how does it compare to others quality wise?
    For the price I could use the Syn. blend instead of regular Valvoline.
    ( I use Mobil 1 in my TJ this is for a Dodge 5.2 V-8)
    White 2005 LJ Rubicon, Rubicon Express 3.5 SuperFlex, Pro Comp 315/75/16 Xtreme AT's,
    Pro Comp 97 16x8 Wheels, Teraflex quick disconnects, Prothane 1" BL, JKS 1" MML,tow hooks front and rear, Brushguard, 10,000 lb. Winch, 2 fog & 2 driving lights, fire extinguisher, CB radio, synthetic fluids, K&N filter, free flow muffler.

Default Re: WAL-MART Super Tech Synthetic oil................

-=- originally posted by RandyTJ -=-
    Does anyone know who make the Super Tech synthetic and synthetic blend oil for Wal-Mart?
    It may not be as good as Mobil 1, but how does it compare to others quality wise?
    For the price I could use the Syn. blend instead of regular Valvoline.
    ( I use Mobil 1 in my TJ this is for a Dodge 5.2 V-8)
    Check out http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi for more info. I've heard good things about their filters so I picked up a 6-pack for the van, but it turned out being the same one as the Jeep. I'm sticking with Mobil1 since I can get away with 6 month change intervals (don't put on many miles on it).

Registered

I was told that Quaker State supplies all of their oils. I have been using it for years in all my vehicles. To my knowledge there is not a lot of manufactures of synthetics and they are all about the same except Castrol who doesn't use real synthetic. They won a court case which allows them to sell it as full synthetic. It is actually the same base as Penzoil. I was told this by insiders when I was connected to the business.

-=- originally posted by bassnmanjim -=-
    I was told that Quaker State supplies all of their oils. I have been using it for years in all my vehicles. To my knowledge there is not a lot of manufactures of synthetics and they are all about the same except Castrol who doesn't use real synthetic. They won a court case which allows them to sell it as full synthetic. It is actually the same base as Penzoil. I was told this by insiders when I was connected to the business.

The oil (dino) is supplied by 3 makers, Pennzoil/Quaker State, Exxon/Mobil, and Warren Performance Products, who also makes the syn and semi syn oils.

There are 2 types of synthetic (actualy more, but only 2 that we are concerned with here). They are either Group III basestock (made from crude oil processing, AKA hydrocracked) and PAO based (polyalphaolefins, the "true" synthetic).
    Mobil 1, Redline, and Royal Purple are ones that are PAO based, pretty much all the rest (including the Wal-Mart brand) are group III based.
    Still a decent oil, and definatly better than regular dino oil, just not quite in the same class as Mobil 1. Most will never notice a difference in it.

-=- originally posted by blupupher -=-
    The oil (dino) is supplied by 3 makers, Pennzoil/Quaker State, Exxon/Mobil, and Warren Performance Products, who also makes the syn and semi syn oils.

There are 2 types of synthetic (actualy more, but only 2 that we are concerned with here). They are either Group III basestock (made from crude oil processing, AKA hydrocracked) and PAO based (polyalphaolefins, the "true" synthetic).
    Mobil 1, Redline, and Royal Purple are ones that are PAO based, pretty much all the rest (including the Wal-Mart brand) are group III based.
    Still a decent oil, and definatly better than regular dino oil, just not quite in the same class as Mobil 1. Most will never notice a difference in it.
    So I have a question I run Rotella T syn from shell and it runs great for our 4.0 and 2.5l engines. But is it really Group III basestock?? or PAO?? This is the best oil i have run yet in my Jeep.
    Thanks
    Anthony
    P.S. Sorry for HighJacking Your Thread.

Registered

-=- originally posted by Viet15philong -=-
    So I have a question I run Rotella T syn from shell and it runs great for our 4.0 and 2.5l engines. But is it really Group III basestock?? or PAO?? This is the best oil i have run yet in my Jeep.
    Thanks
    Anthony
    P.S. Sorry for HighJacking Your Thread.
    Just curious, but how is it the 'best'.

For me, six quarts of the best priced 'name brand dino' goes in, and 3k miles later it comes out a slightly darker color. Oil pressure has never varied since it was new.

What criteria do you use to grade one oil as better than another?
    'o[]o
    ''(OIIIIIIO)'
    ''__o=o__'
    []=O[]

G/S...................................

-=- originally posted by Viet15philong -=-
    So I have a question I run Rotella T syn from shell and it runs great for our 4.0 and 2.5l engines. But is it really Group III basestock??
    Yes, it is.