Thread: Transmission cooler lines stuck

Registered

Question Transmission cooler lines stuck

I am in the middle of a GDI conversion and I can't get the lower transmission cooler line off. I have no clue what the trick is to get it off, and would like some help.

TIA

------------------
    1988 XJ Laredo
    2in RE/Teraflex BB w/ DT 3000's; 30/9.50/15 Goodyear MT/R's
    Wilderness Roof Rack w/ spare, shovel, and ax
    2m radio and 5/8 wave ant; uniden 40ch cb
    2 Hella 550's, 4 ProComp 6in, stock fogs as backup lights
    Husky Liners, home made discos
    1988 XJ Laredo
    2in RE/Teraflex BB w/ DT 3000's;Home Made Discos; 30/9.50/15 Goodyear MT/R's
    Wilderness Roof Rack w/shovel & ax bracket
    2m radio and 5/8 wave ant; uniden 40ch cb & Cobra Antenna
    Factory Skids; Husky Liners; GDI open system cooling

Registered

Push the hose in a little bit, pinch the two plastic ears, and then pull the hose out. Keep an eye on the washer when you pull the hose.
    '89 XJ Sport, 4" lift, Heckethron shocks & steering stabilizer, JKS disco, 31" tires, 4.1:1 front & rear, front Lock Right, factory rear Trac-loc limited slip, Ramsey REP6000XJ hidden winch, K&N filter, Ford Mustang 5.0L injectors, upgraded to open style GDI radiator

Registered

Unhappy

Yeah, that's what I read. I am starting to think that I have a diffrent sort of connector. The lines were replaced a while back after I crushed them on a rock and the fitting dosen't resemble what you described. It is the metal crimp and then another metal piece that ataches to the fitting in the radiator.(Wish I had a digital camera) I don't see the plastic ears anywhere.
    1988 XJ Laredo

Registered

You might not have them any longer. They aren't the toughest parts available. Look inside the fitting and you might see them. Otherwise, you might have to think about cutting the hose.

Registered

My hose had a bad crimp in it at the top. So I took my drimmel and cut the metal hose down some. Then I went to the local auto store and got some tranny line hose and 4 clamps. Then I went to a hotrod store and got some adapters that would work on my GDI. Installed the tranny line with 2 clamps on each side(just to make sure it wasnt going to leak). Then I tightened down the adaptors and there you have it. Yeah seems like a lot of trouble but I had to do it.........peace

'89 Red XJ with 35's and TJ flares and tons other stuff.
    '00 F250 Crew Cab diesel 4x4
    New Outdoors forum http://outdoors.proboards6.com/index.cgi
    John: 14:6
    AIM=ScottZJ

Banned

cut the metal elbow it is attached to, i had to, then you can easily see the connection and get it apart.

Have fun putting it on the new fitting, it is a pain in the arse. Mine never "clicked" into position, but it is on there. A heavy 6000 miles later and no problems, Scott's idea or any other extra clamps would be added security.

Registered

Well it looks like I may have to cut the whole end off. I cut the metel fitting and looked at the clip. Their are four little metal tabs holding the metal fitting to the hose. They are pointed in like those twist ties that are only meant to be tightened and then cut off.

I was also planning on picking up a transmission cooler tomorrow and was wondering if they come with any additional hosing or do I just run the stock hoses to the cooler?

[This message has been edited by 88xj (edited 10-05-2001).]
    1988 XJ Laredo

Banned

you can separate those, here is what i did....

i broke the blade portion off of a razorblade(rectangular), took the top portion and bent it into a circle with the diameter the same as the inside of the fitting, I forced the piece in and it pushed all of the tabs in, they separate the two.

Registered

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by XJFletcher:
    </font>
    I went to autozone and got a little kit which did basicly what you described. It was a bunch of diffrent sized plastic circles and I just picked the right size and stuck it in and the fitting came out with no problems.
    1988 XJ Laredo