Thread: front seat swap for YJ's... aftermarket, junk yard, bestop?!?!

Registered

Default front seat swap for YJ's... aftermarket, junk yard, bestop?!?!

wanted to know if any of these 'bolt-in' seats were worth a crap from place like bestop and whatever... hiback recliners are around 200 a pop :teary: so i'm not excited by that crap at all...

besides, i just noticed a thread in here where the guy got ranger seats for 17 bucks and made em work... any input from the crowd thats done this???

BTW i have to have recliners so hard buckets, while comfy, are out

oh, anyone know how to get the driver side to tumble like the pass side?? an earlier YJ perch might do it, i think my dads '88 YJ had it but its been a while since i've seen it up close since it in teh AZ now

Registered

hmm... looks like the search works when the west coast is at lunch and the east coast leaves work early

looks like the votes are as follows:

best top super seats are liked, bolt in, but 200 bucks or so new

grand am seats from 95-97 reportedly bolt right it, and jy pricing

mitsu eclipse seats, early models it says like 92, some fab required

99 integra seats, some fab required

86-94 mustang seats, some fab required

i think for the money, grand am seats are prolly the deal since most pontiacs are dead n busted by now

good luck to me

Registered

great thread... thanks for the info

Registered

I like eclipse seats.They would look very good in a jeep.I bought a set of 2000 eclipse seat when I bought my ranger seats.I sold them with another jeep I had.I kinda like the idea of lumbar.I also didnt have any seats when I bought the jeep [or trans and tcase for that matter] so I needed something.

Look around youll find some seats that you like.
    Dan

Registered

yeah.. slim pickins so far, of course, i don't have all day to hunt

saw some grand am seats last friday that looked like a good size of seat, just hit driverside, half busted, dirty as ****, non reclining and free cig burns to boot.... guess the first shot ain't landing on this go round

the hunt continues...

Registered

Here's some more input/ opinion for you. I just installed Bestop Trailmax Pro Thermal seats in my YJ. The Pro styles have major bolstering on the sides and a nice additional cushion at the front of the seat bottom for thigh support. They are similar to the standard Trailmax seats, but have more bolstering, and are more sculpted. I chose brand new Bestop seats versus other alternatives because my biggest complaint about the stock original seats in my '95, was that they were original seats from a '95. The point being that the cushions were nowhere new what they were new (since I bought a previous YJ brand new) and they were just not supportive any more. Those cushions have more "give" even when the seat bottom is sitting on concrete to support it than the new ones have while mounted on the seat track, to put it into perspective.
    So, while there are other good used options out there, it really depends on WHY you want to replace your seats. I know my option was not the cheapest solution, but I'll get years of good use out of them. And after being behind the wheel for about 12 hours straight this past weekend, I don't regret spending the $$.
    Chris

06 Bright Silver TJ-L Rubicon, on 35's
    [B]99 Platinum WJ Limited on 32's

Gone:
    '93 YJ 4.0 5-spd, Rancho 2.5" locked
    '92 XJ 4.0 auto, stock
    '96 ZJ Laredo 5.2L, Up Country
    '95 YJ 4-popper OME 2.5"
    '04 TJ X 4.0 Auto 3"

yea but those besttop thermal seats give off very little heat compared to other seats with heaters.

Registered

I just got a set of seats for free out of a neon, they arnt the prettiest and they have a few cig burns, but my old seats are shot they have no cusion and these are free. Its gonna take a little fabing. I havnt gotten too far into it but once I get the neon sliders off all it should take to get the jeep sliders on is drilling two holds, but the tricky part is that the neon sliders are welded on in the back.
    93 Sahara
    4.0l 5spd
    32x10.50 swamper TSLs, 4.56, Trutrac, EZ locker, 2"BDS, 1" shackle, 1"Bl, Flatfender & Trimming...SOLD
    97 TJ, New Drivetrain, 2"BB, 31s. For Sale

Registered

-=- originally posted by thewas4x -=-
    Here's some more input/ opinion for you. I just installed Bestop Trailmax Pro Thermal seats in my YJ. The Pro styles have major bolstering on the sides and a nice additional cushion at the front of the seat bottom for thigh support. They are similar to the standard Trailmax seats, but have more bolstering, and are more sculpted. I chose brand new Bestop seats versus other alternatives because my biggest complaint about the stock original seats in my '95, was that they were original seats from a '95. The point being that the cushions were nowhere new what they were new (since I bought a previous YJ brand new) and they were just not supportive any more. Those cushions have more "give" even when the seat bottom is sitting on concrete to support it than the new ones have while mounted on the seat track, to put it into perspective.
    So, while there are other good used options out there, it really depends on WHY you want to replace your seats. I know my option was not the cheapest solution, but I'll get years of good use out of them. And after being behind the wheel for about 12 hours straight this past weekend, I don't regret spending the $$.

well, my driver side is toast thru and thru... either the frame came apart or the mechanism gave up the ghost

teh back seat, a tie down, and patience is all thats holding it upright now

anyone think cherokee seats outta a '93 XJ will fit, found a set of those for sale, just don't know if they'd go in

hmm.. new thread time

I did Grand Am seats from a 93. Not quite a bolt in, but with 16 " long by 1 1/4" by 3/16" steel stock and a few drilled holes, They went in in about 45 minutes.
    I paid 15 bucks each plus tax for seats and 10 bucks for steel and bolts.
    I used 93 seats because they were in great shape.
    Very comfortable and good support.

Registered

oh man... 15 dolla seat?!?!?!

i dont think you can get that in Nam... kick ass deal man

If you want cheap seats this reply is not for you. But if you are looking at Best Top seats I would suggest you look at either Master Craft or Beards Super Seats. The price is about the same but the ride quality is a new level. Your choice but at least look into all the options.
    89 YJ Modified Stock
    D 60 w/spool & 5.13, 4 link and coilover rear. 39.5" IROCs, Walker Evans Beadlocks
    D 60 front w/ OX Locker,3 link front w/coilovers, Atlas 4 speed, Warn 9000 winch, 4.0 HO

Registered

Mitsubishi Eclipse seats 1991 is what I finally found. I measured the whole junkyard and I had to settle for these. Took a little work but the width is right. Just had to kick the rear up a little so I wouldn't feel like I was sitting in a hole. I sit a little higher than stock ones but I'm use to it now that I can't even tell.

Click below for Normal size pic of seats.

Click below for MONGO size pic of seats.

Kinda funny since I put rubber bushings between the bracket and seat in the rear for the spacing. Gives it that extra cushion for trail riding. They even have a lumbar support. I'm happy with em.
    1992 YJ
    35x12.50 | 4.0 | York210 OBA |

My Homepage

Registered

-=- originally posted by Hackle -=-
    If you want cheap seats this reply is not for you. But if you are looking at Best Top seats I would suggest you look at either Master Craft or Beards Super Seats. The price is about the same but the ride quality is a new level. Your choice but at least look into all the options.

yeah... we had beards in teh rally car, man i love those buckets... too bad they wont fit in with the daily needs here

i gotta have the recline/flip back access... those best top seats are what 4wp sells right, they have the dial knob for recline on em?? if thats them, no way i'm using a freakin knob to turn the seats up and down... its the 21st century and dial-a-recline is second only too leaf suspension as far as backwards goes

i have a YJ so i can bitch like this