Thread: 2004 Grand Cherokee Radio - Aux Input - RCA?

Question 2004 Grand Cherokee Radio - Aux Input - RCA?

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me an easy way to get an auxiliary input to my factory radio / infinity system. I want to add an aux source like a laptop computer, iPod, Mp3 player or other source. I basically need a RCA Right and Left or a Mini Jack input.

I have investigated many options... but I am sure there is someone out there that has done this before.

Options I know about:

Lose the CD Changer... use it's input with a converter. I don't want to lose the CD changer unless I must

Get the Sirius Add-On Kit, with the multiplexer... don't install the Sirius module, and fake out it's input. Use it's input with a converter. Haven't totally figured this out.

Cut the wiring harness to the amp and put in an A/B switch between my input and the radio's input. Not a good option.

Any help much appreciated!!

i was thinking about the same thing to play movies on my laptop thorugh the stereo when i saw an FM antenna at Target. Plug it into the device of your choice and tune your stereo into the preset frequency. the thing is only like $17 too
    -Luke
    JKU

like this ?

d
    '04 4.0L 4x4 - ECTED locker, 4" Hybrid Lift, Bilstein 5150's, 255/70/16 BFG AT's, SD40, Stillens, Hella Lighting, fipk, skids, hooks, & kevin's sliders...

I don't have one but a couple people I know have the FM transmitters. They make one for the iPod spcifically and some stores carry them for more general use. They seem to work acceptably.

Wish DC would have specified an aux jack on the front of the their head units.

That link on WJJeeps is it. I have been on the website 1000 times and never saw that. I put up some posts around, so may be it is new.

Awesome.. thanks!

Default IPod Adapter

I found an adapter for the ipod. Allows you to use the Steering Wheel controls.

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/

-=- originally posted by positive d -=-
    like this ?
    I'd think that or the one from soundgate is the best option.

Check out the PAC SWI-V or SWI-X for the ability to use your steering wheel controls with anything that comes with a remote. I have one on the way that I'm going to hook up so I can control my Sirius radio and the factory radio at the same time.
    99 Limited 4.7

I recently bought a Clarion FM200: http://www.clarion.com/usa/products/...ies/FM200.html (interesting, I posted the same link yesterday and the website design was totally different!)

It connects directly to the antenna and transmits over an FM frequency. It's a hard-wired FM modulator. I haven't installed mine yet, but I'll post the results when I do so this weekend. Mine will be working with an iPod.

The wireless FM modulators are generally pretty weak. I couldn't get one to work well enough for me- but it depends on where you live. I find that the FM signal strength is pretty lousy in the WJ. With this modulator, I'll turn my radio to, say, 88.7 and get static-free broadcast of my iPod. I listened to it on a PT Cruiser and it's slightly higher quality than regular FM, but not quite CD. I ended up paying about $50 for it and another $5 for a Chrysler antenna adapter. I only chose against the P.I.E. X3 because I was told that there are some compatibility issues if you have a CD changer. It was also more expensive and given that I'd already spent $300 on an iPod this week, I was reluctant to spend much more.

Default FM Moudulators are technically not a good option

FM Modulators technically speaking degrade the signal. Any signal that is modulated is changed from it's original state.

FM modulation causes loss. What other options do you have for Line-Level input?

Here is your best option:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piechry02aux.html

I have this, and use it for my Dell DJ MP3 player, and it works great. It connect to the CD Changer port on the back of the factory head unit (as long as you don't have the navigation system or the system with the in dash 6 disk changer). It gives you an RCA jack type auxilliary input, and you use the "Mode" button on the head unit to toggle between the aux input and the FM or internal CD.
    04 Rubicon - FT 3" w/M-force shocks, JKS 1.25" BL and 1" MML, Rockhard cage, TBT front and Rock Crusher rear bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0 w/Viking line, lots of skids and other goodies.

Whoops, just went back and re-read, and noticed you have a CD changer. If it is the external changer, you can still get a PIE adapter, but it is a different part number, and allows both the changer and the aux input to coexist. Here is what you would need:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piex3auxconv.html
    04 Rubicon - FT 3" w/M-force shocks, JKS 1.25" BL and 1" MML, Rockhard cage, TBT front and Rock Crusher rear bumper, Superwinch EPi 9.0 w/Viking line, lots of skids and other goodies.