Thread: K&N 4.0 FIPK Air Filter Review

Thumbs up K&N 4.0 FIPK Air Filter Review

I wanted a higher-performance Air Induction system on my 2001 2WD Cherokee Sport as soon as I got it, and bought a Turbo City Free Flow Filter system as my first mod.

It worked well, gave me a throatier intake sound when I needed to step on the gas and generally improved performance somewhat.

But the air intake got hot, and I knew gulping hot air into the engine was not a good thing.

So when I had the chance to evaluate K&N's new 4.0l FIPK, I jumped on it as soon as possible.

The Box came tonight, I installed it with little trouble, and it's up and running fine.

The kit includes K&N's Free Flow Cone Filter, a heavy plastic "Ram Tube" which attaches to the throttle body with a big rubber fitting, steel fitting bands, screws, washers, nuts, and a heavy metal heat shield seperating the air intake filter from the rest of the engine like a "wall", and a certification decal listing the system as "emissions-approved". Also included was a K&N Filter Cleaner and Conditioner pack to maintain the system.

Documentation was first rate and easy to understand, all the parts looked first class down to the nylon-insert lock-nuts to hold the thing together.

Installation was straight forward: Take off the old air box and disconnect the crankcase breather tube. Hand-fit the outer insulation to the edges of the heat shield. Bolt an attaching bracket to the shield, bolt the lower edges of the shield into the engine compartment and tighten it all down. Fit the rubber Throttle Body onto the intake..clamp it into place...and lower the ram tube onto the top of the rubber intake fitting and tighten it down. Attach filter element to end of tube neatly nestled behind the heat shield, attach the crankcase breather tube to the intake side-fitting and carefully lower the hood.

It all fit fine, and the engine started right up..but without the "throaty" intake of the Turbo City Tube.

My Cherokee seemed a little more responsive, and I 'll enjoy tracking the performance and mileage over the next few weeks. I have no actual gas mileage or track times to compare real world performance at this time.

From my initial installation, It looks like a first-class system and installed without any major problems. It'll be interesting to see how the plastic ram tube holds up in the heat of the engine on top of the heat over the Summer. I'd be concerned about the possibly of the plastic tube " unwelding" at the molding points after prolonged exposure.

Wonder what a new header and free flow exhaust would do to my Cherokee now!

2003 I-6 Laredo 4X4, K&N Cold Air Intake, Jeepers & Creepers 62 mm TB, MagnaFlow High Flow Cat and Muffler, Addco Sway Bars Front&Back, OME Springs, Bilstein 5100 Gas Shocks, Rancho Stabilizer, Mechanical Fan Cooling Upgrade, Front/Tranny Skid Plates, Reinforced Drivers' Seat Frame, Loose Nut behind Wheel, ARB Front Diff Cover Armor, Custom Spicer Double-Cardon Front Driveshaft,Superchips Tuned

Registered

Smile

Sounds good, I just ordered one the other day I can't wait to get it in. Did you have the Rusty's tube on your jeep, or is this your first tube filter setup. If you did have the Rusty's which gave you more power between the two. Thanks Mike.

------------------
    97 XJ 4.0, Jet Stage II, 180 therm, MSD 6A ignition, Mike Leach Headers, Dynomax Ultra Flo Muffler, Random Technology Convertor, Splitfire Triple Platinum Plugs and Dual Mag Wires 8.5, Accel Super Coil, Accurate Air Tube with K+N Cone, IAS Shocks, and Bridgestone Dueler H/L 235/70/15.
    97 XJ Sport 4.0, Auto, Jet Stage II, 180 therm, MSD 6A ignition, Mike Leach Headers, Dynomax Ultra Flo Muffler, Random Technology Convertor, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, MSD Blaster Coil, Ford 24lb Injectors, K+N FIPK II, Accurate Power TB, and Rancho RSX's.
    Winter-Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's 235/70/15 on stock Rims.
    Summer-Goodyear Eagle GT/HR's 235/55/16 on AR Polished Pythons

05 Subaru Legacy GT, Auto (Stage II) AVO Filter, Crucial Up-Pipe & Shorty Downpipe, Cobb Stage II V1.15 93oct

Registered

how much was it and where did you get it?
    1992 Jeep Cherokee RE 5.5 Extreme Duty, 33s, etc.

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6mt diamond graphite

NAXJA Member #404 Sierra Chapter

AIM: bkchang79

Registered

Yea...where did you get it and how much!!??
    92 XJ Laredo, 4.0, OME 3",31 BFG,Borla heads, flopro, custom catback, protofab ft/rear bumpers w/tire carrier,RE adj trackbar, mopar gas skid, kevinsjeeps rock rails, soon: RE 1.25" shackles & ACOS. 101K miles

Pavement Pounder

Question

How'd ya get it so quick?
    They aren't even available to wholesalers/distributors in my area yet!

Also, how much did you pay, and what distributor did you buy it from?

------------------
    Mike Watkins

2001 Cherokee Classic

My Jeep pics

AIM: Jeepaholic9640
    '98 ZJ Limited Bright Platinum 5.2L
    *Soon to be sold*

'02 Durango SLT to take its place!

Registered

Same questions as above

------------------
    white 99 Cherokee 4.0 Limited (Leather steering, leather seats, factory fog lights, heated mirrors, tinted glass, infinity sound system, Pioneer CD) stock for now !
    white 97 Cherokee 4.0 Sport Manual (gas tank skid) stock
    which one I like???
    Both are cool, but I like the 97 cuz its Manual & more casual
    "Once a Cherokee.....never a rookie"
    white 99 Cherokee 4.0 Limited,Mopar brush guard w/lights, Rusty's Air Tube with K&N cone filter, C4x4 Tow-hooks, Uniden CB.
    JUST INSTALLED: 4.5 RE super flex lift kit with AALs & 32" MT's!More to come!!
    White 97 Cherokee 4.0 Sport Manual
    which one I like???
    Both are cool, but I like the '97 more cuz its Manual & more casual

www.MichiganJeepers.com

Registered

I'm speaking for myself but if you go to macromotive.com they have a sale on them. I got mine for $230.33 not bad considering it's listed at $350 . A whole bunch of sites have them, I hope to get mine by the weekend. Hope this helps everyone out.

------------------
    97 XJ 4.0, Jet Stage II, 180 therm, MSD 6A ignition, Mike Leach Headers, Dynomax Ultra Flo Muffler, Random Technology Convertor, Splitfire Triple Platinum Plugs and Dual Mag Wires 8.5, Accel Super Coil, Accurate Air Tube with K+N Cone, IAS Shocks, and Bridgestone Dueler H/L 235/70/15.
    97 XJ Sport 4.0, Auto, Jet Stage II, 180 therm, MSD 6A ignition, Mike Leach Headers, Dynomax Ultra Flo Muffler, Random Technology Convertor, Kolak Ignition Upgrade, MSD Blaster Coil, Ford 24lb Injectors, K+N FIPK II, Accurate Power TB, and Rancho RSX's.
    Winter-Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's 235/70/15 on stock Rims.
    Summer-Goodyear Eagle GT/HR's 235/55/16 on AR Polished Pythons

05 Subaru Legacy GT, Auto (Stage II) AVO Filter, Crucial Up-Pipe & Shorty Downpipe, Cobb Stage II V1.15 93oct

Question

Does the installed kit leave any extra room in the engine bay for a second battery, air compressor, inverter, welder, etc. ?

------------------
    ----------------------
    Jeep - Your Global Positioning System Since 1940 O|||||||O
    ----------------------
    '90 XJ 'Baby Blues' 4.0L AW4, NP231J,RRO 2" BB, JKS Quickers, JKS BPEs, Rusty's Engine/Tran/Xfer Skids, Custom 4X4 Rocker Skids, '92+ Cooling System Conversion w/GDI 3-row rad, Cobra C19DXII w/Firestik, cheapass JBL CD/Changer, IPF H4 conversion, heavy-duty jeepin.com stickers front/rear - Member Jeeps Of North Texas

dana300@jeepn.com

"Really enjoy being with JEEP PEOPLE. It's hard to talk jeeps with ORDINARY folks. They just look at you and tilt their heads like dogs..." T. Hubbard JNT 2001

Jeep XJ - "Groceries Delivered ANYWHERE"
    "Really enjoy talking Jeeps with Jeep people....ordinary people just look at you and tilt their heads like dogs...." T. Hubbard
    ----------------------
    No Jeep, no money to get one, my soul belongs to Student Loan repayments...

Registered

Can anyone tell me why the FIPKs wouldn't work on a pre 96 XJ??? was the air box location changed?

------------------
    '93 XJ Country 4.0 Auto: Thorley Header, Custom Ram air system, K&N filter, PowerRaid TBS, Carsounds High Flow Cat, Custom 2 1/2 inch mandrel bend lead pipe, Rusty's Cat Back Exhaust, Dual Electric Fans, Bosch Platinum 4+ Plugs, Taylor low resistance Plug wires, 2 row Modine radiator, 180 deg Jet thermostate, Optima Deep Cycle yellow top battery, Edelbrock IAS performer shocks, (non performance)Sony CDX-7000 CD Player (front)Pioneer 2 way 5 1/4s (back)Sony 3 way 5 1/4s
    '93 XJ Country 4.0
    '83 Jeep CJ7 (wife's weekend car)
    '11 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (my weekend car)
    '11 Ford Focus Titanium (wife's DD)
    '13 Ford Focus ST (my DD)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by blitz998:
    Can anyone tell me why the FIPKs wouldn't work on a pre 96 XJ??? was the air box location changed? </font>
    AFAIK, it's for a relatively stupid reason. In '96 they changed the setup just slightly for the airbox. The pre '96 HO's had 2 [vaccuum] tubes that connected to airbox, from '96 and up there's only one tube going to the airbox. TurboCity got around this by providing a T-connector and an extra hose. It'd be really easy to do this with the K&N as well, the fenders haven't changed so the heat shield will bolt up just the same.

------------------
    Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
    '95 XJ Sport, 6" lift, 33x12.5" BFG MT's, XD9000i, dual D44's w/4.56's, Detroits, 5-on-5.5" bolt pattern, Warn hubs, SkyJacker trackbar, Tera UCA's/LCA's, Custom4x4 bumpers fr/rr, Revolvers, WP safari rack, Hella 500s, GDI 3-core, Rusty's intake, TB spacer, in-dash MD player
    '01 XJ Limited, Silverstone, UpCountry, 55W headlights, Rusty's airtube and 5" Powerstack filter
    http://Jeepin.com
    "God forgives, rocks and jumps don't."
    "Long live solid axles!"
    "It's a Jeep thing, DC doesn't understand..."
    Jason - Jeepin.com
    '95 XJ, RE 5.5", 35's, D30 w/hubs & ARB, D44 w/Detroit, 4.56's, etc, etc.
    '00 TJ, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35's, OX, full cage, winch, etc, etc.
    2006 Dodge Ram MegaCab 3500 SLT, CTD, 48RE, plates read: "TOW RIG"
    my blog

dr shame, how much was your kit?? And which shop...online or local??
    New Addition- 1991 YJ Navy 106k miles, minimal mods

2001 XJ Black- Upcountry, Canyons, Kargomaster rack. Sold 2009
    1992 YJ Black- Stolen 3/01

Just got an email from performance products: $227.80...in stock. They report an 11 horsepower gain, and I can confirm my Cherokee's performance has improved some....feels better!
    2003 I-6 Laredo 4X4, K&N Cold Air Intake, Jeepers & Creepers 62 mm TB, MagnaFlow High Flow Cat and Muffler, Addco Sway Bars Front&Back, OME Springs, Bilstein 5100 Gas Shocks, Rancho Stabilizer, Mechanical Fan Cooling Upgrade, Front/Tranny Skid Plates, Reinforced Drivers' Seat Frame, Loose Nut behind Wheel, ARB Front Diff Cover Armor, Custom Spicer Double-Cardon Front Driveshaft,Superchips Tuned