Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AMC 304-V8 intake manifold

Default AMC 304-V8 intake manifold

What type, if any, gasket sealer is used between the intake manifold and the top of the 304-V8? There is what looks like a mteal pan/gasket there now, but no trace of any RTV or other sealant.
    2000 F250 Diesel that doesn't know the meaning of stock.

JKer with CJ/FSJ blood Ken Gaines's Avatar

I usually put a small smear of black or blue RTV around the water jacket ports and the intake runners on both sides of the gasket (valley pan gasket). When you put the 4 end bolts back in it, make sure you coat the threads with RTV as well because they actually penetrate into the cylinder head water passages. Bend the gasket a little before you try to install it and then set it on the heads first, then put the manifold on it. There should be a few bolt holes that actually have protrusions around them to help keep the thing aligned while you are installing it.
    There should also be two black neoprene rubber end seals that keep oil in the lifter valley.
    Good luck with it.
    Originally stated by Mr.George Carlin -=-
    You know what's the best thing about living on the edge of the water? You only have * * * * * * *s living on three sides of you. If they come from the other side, you can hear them splashing!!!
    "Life is a journey that's measured not in miles or years, but in experiences."
    -Jimmy Buffett 1998
    "If you don't fish, you should."
    -D.A. McKee Ph.D., 2002 TAMUCC Ichthyology Class Intro Lecture (How much more wisdom could one need than this?)
    O)||||||(O
    Ken

Which means I need a new gasket set instead of reusing the old one.

Not necessarily. I have reused them several times with no problems. Just make sure to scrape all the old, caked-on crap off of the gasket before you reinstall it. I try to clean the sealing surfaces with a wire brush before I reuse one. If it gets too badly bent on the sealing surfaces, it gets replaced.
    With that said, I would probably replace the first one you get then you know you have a new one in the engine. The new one can be reused at least a few times before it should be replaced. If you feel pretty sure about the one you have, I don't see any reason you can't reuse it once unless it is obviously in need of replacement. Tighten the bolts from the inside out once you get them started on the head threads...good luck with that. It can be a real PITA to do.
    You know what's the best thing about living on the edge of the water? You only have * * * * * * *s living on three sides of you. If they come from the other side, you can hear them splashing!!!
    -Jimmy Buffett 1998
    -D.A. McKee Ph.D., 2002 TAMUCC Ichthyology Class Intro Lecture (How much more wisdom could one need than this?)
    O)||||||(O
    Ken

Registered

JUST TO BETTER QUALIFY KEN GAINES RESPONSE. THE DAY BEFORE YOU PUT THE INTAKE ON, USE PERMATEX HIGH TAC CEMENT (NAPA HAS IT) AND SET THE TWO NEOPRENE END SEALS IN PLACE HE MENTIONED. IF ONE DOES NOT DO THIS SORT OF THING EVERYDAY, THE NEOPRENE SEALS HAVE A HABIT OF POPPING OUT SOME WHEN YOU TIGHTEN THE INTAKE DOWN. THE ABOVE PROCEDURE WILL PRECLUDE THIS, BY HAVING THE HIGH TACK ADHESIVE HAVING A CHANCE TO SET, AND SUBSEQUENTLY WILL HOLD THE SEALS IN PLACE DURING THE FINAL ASSEMBLY.

use this on the intake runners and the water ports on the heads and intake Gasket Sealer:Permatex 25249 - Hylomar HPF; 29.6 ml it is a non hardning sealer

take the rubber end seals and put them in the trash can instead use Ultra Black Silicone just put a thick bead and let it set for a little drop the intake stright down and bolt it on

and like was said bend the pan gasket to stay in place there are rised parts on the 4 corner bolt that fit down inti the heads to line it up

1978 cj-7 golden eagle had since 1979
    304 -360-401
    401 .030 over- full floating flat top pistons
    crower solid cam 292/298 - .500/.510 lift
    .246/.250 duration.050
    th-400 / 4500 stall
    Dana 44 5:13 gears
    aj glass body
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...401/?start=all
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...cj7/?start=all
    11.669 @ 112.33 mph 33x10.50 slicks and 4" lift in the 1/4 mile all motor no spray / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Thanks for all the advice. There are no rubber strips on my gasker ends and the one there is old. Maybe even the original one. Tomorrow I should have a new set from Napa.

Letting the rubber strips set before the metal is put in sounds like a good idea. Does anyone have picture of what all gets RTV when the metal gets put on? Bolts too?

No pictures of it here. While you have the manifold off, look at the ends of each head. The front and rear port on each head is a water passage. One of the bolts will thread directly into a hole that penetrates into that passage. If you look at the passage, you will see what I mean. As for the rest of it, you will have 7 holes on each side of the gasket. The front and rear holes are the water passage ports. The middle on each side is for the EGR. The other ones (4 on each side, arranged in pairs) are the intake runner ports. I would at the minimum seal the runners and the water jackets. Lay a thin bead of RTV in the groove that surrounds those ports, then flatten it down a bit with a clean finger tip. LAtex gloves help here so you don't end up with RTV all over your hands for the next week or so.
    Make damn sure you put RTV on the corner bolts before you thread them into the head. If you don't, bad things can happen in short order.
    -Jimmy Buffett 1998
    O)||||||(O
    Ken

I'm not sure which is the front and back with out going outside to look at it. Would you mind circling in red where RTV goes? Neither the Chilton or CJ-Rebuilding manual have much about this.

Forum Leader

Just a note that, in my opinion, there is a newer sealant called "The Right Stuff" that is far superior to RTV silicone. It seals much better in my experience and you don't have to wait for it to set up. In fact, you are supposed to install all parts within five minutes of applying it. It is more expensive, but you get better sealing with it.

There ya go. I think I got front and rear right. You will know if it is reversed because it won't go in right. IIRC, the oil drain hole goes to the front and should line up with the oil fill pipe. The places I would put RTV (or Snowtow's sealant) are circled in red as requested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Jimmy Buffett 1998
    O)||||||(O
    Ken

These are the holes that need the sealant on the bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Jimmy Buffett 1998
    O)||||||(O
    Ken

Thanks for the info. This should make life a lot easier tomorrow.

Registered

I just used "The Right Stuff" on my rear diff and I have nothing but good things to report about it. It looks like a black cheese wiz can with a trigger.
    1979 CJ7,304/T18a/Moser axle's

Well, I can tell you the gasket and intake manifold are a pain to line up and bend. The gasket is sharp too, but it wouldn't be a project Jeep if I didn't bleed over it.

To get things to line up, would silconing the gasket to the manifold and letting it dry, then put it on the engine work?

I wouldn't do that. See, when you bolted the intake on, you are using the bolts to squish down the intake to seal off all the runners, ports, etc. If you don't do it all in one shot, then the rtv will dry and might not let the intake "seat" like it should around the runners, whatnot. If you'll notice, your intake gasket has little tabs around the bolt holes on the 4 corners. Those tabs will fit into the bolt holes and that should hold the gasket in place until you place the intake on. An easy thing to do is before you put the gasket or any rtv, etc into the lifter valley or on the block, "dry fit" the intake any take a sharpie marker and line the bolt holes up and mark the intake and head exactly where it needs to go and thats easy to see once you get the gasket, etc. in place andthey'll be no questions about whether its lined up or not and you might not make a mess out of the rtv

Good luck
    If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some
    influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.

1983 CJ7
    360/T176/D300/M20/D30w/ LockRight
    4" Skyjacker, 1" Daystar Body Lift
    33x12.5 BFG MT's,
    3:73's w/ Superior 1 pc. axle kit.

-=- originally posted by abunchofidiots -=-
    Well, I can tell you the gasket and intake manifold are a pain to line up and bend. The gasket is sharp too, but it wouldn't be a project Jeep if I didn't bleed over it.

-=- originally posted by abunchofidiots -=-
    To get things to line up, would silconing the gasket to the manifold and letting it dry, then put it on the engine work?
    You can try it, but I doubt that it will make much difference. I use a (cough) screwdriver (cough cough) to help get the manifold bolts lined up once I have it in place. GENTLY pry toward the midline of the engine using the lip of the cylinder head as a leverage point.

(I can't believe I just told you to do that...)
    -Jimmy Buffett 1998
    O)||||||(O
    Ken

The beauty of the beaded metal gasket is that sealant is not needed...its a nice idea though. chevy uses a beaded steel head gasket now with zero sealant..some do use sealant in the form of nitrile.

100+ jeeps

Seems that there is a flaw in the metal on a corner hole that wouldn't let it seat. I'll have to cut out the part that didn't get totally stamped through.

Then the corner tabs should all hit the holes.

Default Any progress updates?

Did you notice that the heads have a recess for the corner hole tabs?

How's the progress on this?
    -Jimmy Buffett 1998
    O)||||||(O
    Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast