Thread: How to straighten steering wheel...

Registered

Post How to straighten steering wheel...

My steering wheel is off about a quarter turn to the right. It's been this way since I bought it six months ago. I don't think my alignment is off. No anormal tire wear or pulling. There was a post recently on how to correct this. I printed it but can no longer find it. I did a search for it but can't find it. Does anybody know how to straighten the steering wheel. It's really begining to bother me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

JuneBug
    2001 XJ , 31,000 Miles, Metallic Silver 60th Edition, 4.0l/Auto, Nerf Bars, Mudflaps,
    Foglights, Slotted taillight covers, Homemade Billet Grill
    Wife's
    2001 WJ Laredo, 39,000 miles, 4.0 Power Tech/Auto, Homemade Billet Grill.

Registered

There is an adjustment sleeve on your drag link that will straighten up your steering wheel. Just loosen the nut on each end and rotate the sleeve until things straighten out. Should take about 5 minutes in all.

The pitman arm is keyed so you cannot pull it and rotate it a couple of teeth.

------------------
    Rocky Road Outfitters
    www.rocky-road.com
    Rocky Road Outfitters
    www.rocky-road.com

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by June:
    My steering wheel is off about a quarter turn to the right. It's been this way since I bought it six months ago. I don't think my alignment is off. No anormal tire wear or pulling. There was a post recently on how to correct this. I printed it but can no longer find it. I did a search for it but can't find it. Does anybody know how to straighten the steering wheel. It's really begining to bother me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.</font>
    If it's just a matter of straightening up the wheel, you can fix that pretty easily. You'll need to remove the horn assembly, then you need a puller to get the wheel off.
    Make sure the wheels are pointing straight ahead. Reinstall the wheel in the straight ahead position, torque down the nut that hold the wheel on, reinstall the horn & you're done.

There's a little more to it than that but if you've got a service manual, you'll have it all expained there.

------------------
    Mine:'88 XJ Pioneer, 5 spd, .040 overbore & Comp Cams camshaft, Power Stop rotors & pads, 3 core rad, K&N filter.
    Wife's: '89 XJ Laredo, automatic, pretty much stock.
    Mine:
    - '88 XJ Pioneer, 5 spd, .040 overbore & Comp Cams camshaft, Power Stop rotors & pads, 3 core rad, K&N filter.
    - '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9, low mileage, stock for now.
    Wife's:
    - '89 XJ Laredo, automatic, pretty much stock.

Registered

I have a 95 xj with the drivers side airbag. I don't want to mess with the airbag. So I'll try what Rocky Road suggested first and go from there. Thanks.

JuneBug
    2001 XJ , 31,000 Miles, Metallic Silver 60th Edition, 4.0l/Auto, Nerf Bars, Mudflaps,
    Foglights, Slotted taillight covers, Homemade Billet Grill
    Wife's
    2001 WJ Laredo, 39,000 miles, 4.0 Power Tech/Auto, Homemade Billet Grill.

No NO No, don't straighten it by pulling the horn assy and centering your steering wheel. That is not the right way to do it. You could end up changing the steering stop to stop.
    RR has told you the right way.
    http://www.geocities.com/lancaster_xj/Jeep.html

------------------
    Larry Shank
    Lancaster Pa.
    94 XJ
    rating:278
    http://www.geocities.com/lancaster_xj/Jeep.html
    "The right of the citizens to keep and bear
    arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties
    of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the
    usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even
    if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people
    to resist and triumph over them." --Justice Joseph Story appointed
    to the Supreme Court by James Madison, author of our Constitution.

Registered

Agreed, you should never have to pull the steering wheel to adjust the center. It was set to the center of the steering gear at the factory and thus the pitman arm is also set to the center of the steering gear. To adjust use the collar on the draglink like Rocky Road suggested.

Bob

------------------
    1988 XJ 5.5" lift, custom lower control arms, custom front & rear bumper, garvin roof rack, flow master exhaust, rebuilt 1991 motor with borla header and t-body spacer, 33" TSL radials.
    The XJFiles website
    1988 XJ 7.5" lift, Clayton's Hard Parts Long Arm kit, D44 rear, rear discs, 36" TSL SX's. locked front

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Registered

Is it too late to say "just kidding"?

Ya learn something new every day!

------------------
    Mine:'88 XJ Pioneer, 5 spd, .040 overbore & Comp Cams camshaft, Power Stop rotors & pads, 3 core rad, K&N filter.
    Wife's: '89 XJ Laredo, automatic, pretty much stock.
    Mine:
    - '88 XJ Pioneer, 5 spd, .040 overbore & Comp Cams camshaft, Power Stop rotors & pads, 3 core rad, K&N filter.
    - '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9, low mileage, stock for now.
    Wife's:
    - '89 XJ Laredo, automatic, pretty much stock.

White Knuckle Express BONEWAGON's Avatar

Airbag, eh? Take a BFH to the wheel and...

Oh yeah, like I'm not kidding!

If any doubt, take it to an alignment shop. Let them tease the airbag!
    1989 XJ Un-Limited
    Member of the 200,000 Mile + Club!
    More than enough lift
    A few skulls
    Trail damage on order

Your recovery vehicle couldn't make it!

http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community

Meandering backward through time in the Useless Age

"Nowhere isn't far enough!"

do NOT take the wheel off to straighten it.... you'll change your turn radius completely. you'll be able to turn REALLY far one way, and really short the other way.... adjust it with the little sleeve on the drag link....

------------------
    David P Hicks
    AOL IM: JeepDawg82
    Http://www.PurePleasure.8m.Com = Pure Pleasure Auto Club
    Http://www.PurePleasure2.8m.com/exhaust.html = Dual Exhaust Sound Clips
    1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
    4.0 litre I-6, Auto, NP231
    Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, K&N Cone Filter on Custom Air Tube, Poweraid Throttle Body Spacer
    6" Lift, 33X12.50 BFG AT KO's, Ford 8.8" Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok,Disc Brakes & 4.10s
    GDI 3 Core Radiator, GO RHINO Chrome Brush Guard and Tail Light Guards, Dark Window Tint, K9 Security Alarm System, Sony/Pioneer/Memphis/XTANT/MB Quart 16 Speaker 1000 watt system
    "The New Jeep® Liberty. Thank God there's only one"
    David P Hicks
    http://www.myspace.com/TahoeDawgZ71

1996XJ Country 4X4. 5.3L Chevy, Cammed, 4L60E trans, NP243 T-Case, 3" w/31"BFGMTKM2s Mickey Thomson Classic II's... Ready to live up to the reputation of it's predecessor. Coming soon... 8.8Rear w4.10.

R.I.P. 1991 - 2008
    Corvette Pewter (Silver) Metallic '91 XJ Laredo (Formerly Red), 4.0HO, AW4, NP231
    Cowl-Induction Hood, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, K&N HomeMade Air Tube, TB Spacer
    6.5" Hybrid Lift, Ford 8.8 Rear Axle w/trac-lok, 4.10 Gears, 33X12.50 BFG MT KMs, AR Baja 15X8s
    Go Rhino Chrome Grille/Brush Guard & Tail-Light Guards
    Custom Black Leather Interior, 1500 Watt Stereo, K9 Alarm System