Thread: Water on floor under dash, A/C condenser not draining

Registered

Icon313 Water on floor under dash, A/C condenser not draining

I've noticed a few drips of water on my passenger side Husky Liner recently. Is there a known issue with the A/C system not getting drained properly on a WJ like there is with the ZJ's? Any quick fixes?

It doesn't seem like a big deal for now since it has only been a little bit of water but would rather resolve before it does become a bigger issue.
    Bob

'01 Black WJ, Laredo "S" package, V8, QD, UC, all other factory options, Kenwood TM-D700 dual band ham transceiver.

Registered

BTT.

Is it easy to get to the drain line so that I can blow it out with compressed air if it is plugged up a bit? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
    Bob

'01 Black WJ, Laredo "S" package, V8, QD, UC, all other factory options, Kenwood TM-D700 dual band ham transceiver.

Default Same here

Have the same problem with my wife's '95 ZJ. I have evap condensation in the passenger side floor board.
    I can't seem to find the drain tube.
    Turbocharge it!
    Then I am interested!

95 ZJ limited V8 stock SOLD
    04 Durango Limited with Hemi New wife mobile
    94 ZJ Limited 4.0L Lifted and locked SOLD
    72 Satellite Sebring project MoPar
    '85 Dodge Ramcharger Cummins DIESEL BOUND!

Registered
    Nottsure, Wair (6.1 liters NW of Wairemi)

Default Re: Same here

-=- originally posted by Dr. Righteous -=-
    Have the same problem with my wife's '95 ZJ. I have evap condensation in the passenger side floor board.
    Dr. Righteous, see this TSB: http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/TSB/24-06-96.htm

-=- originally posted by Bob T. -=- I've noticed a few drips of water on my passenger side Husky Liner recently. Is there a known issue with the A/C system not getting drained properly on a WJ like there is with the ZJ's? Any quick fixes? ...
    Bob, this TSB applies to '99-'00 WJ's but might be worth checking out for your '01. This is the only WJ TSB out there that applies to interior AC condensation, have not heard of this as an issue on any models outside of what this TSB refers to.

240699A - CONDENSATION ON EXTERIOR OF HEATER HOUSING
    Date: 12/17/99

Model year(s): 1999-2000

Description: Condensation may form on the exterior of the heater A/C housing and drip on the floor.

Details: This bulletin involves installing a foam insulator to the heater A/C housing.

Installation diagram

Parts required:
    05015245AA - Self adhesive foam

Default Re: Same here

-=- originally posted by Dr. Righteous -=-
    The ZJ is a different story. See the TSB.... but this only helps if there is an obstruction in the area.... where you drill the hole, and run a wire thru to clear it.

In my case, this did not work at all. The problem is, there is a foam ring that seals the evaporative assembly to the firewall, and the "tube" sticks out about 1" into the subframe.

What sucks, is this foam ring degrades over time and starts to leak.... and DC only stuck about 1" of plastic tubing going into the firewall/subframe, which allows moisture to run back and leak thru the foam.

There are several proposed fixes that can be found by searching on the board.... but I can summarize them for you:

1. Remove dash, remove evap assembly, and replace foam ring.... then wait for it to happen again.

2. Drill large hole in the exact right spot in subframe, and attach a 90 degree hose fitting to the "nipple" that sticks out into the subframe, to route water away from foam ring.

3. You can barely access the "nipple" by a small opening at the subframe and firewall, inside the engine compartment. Take a dremel and enlarge this hole a little, and then gob as much RTV around the foam ring and nipple as you can. Possibly even apply, let dry, then come back the next day, see if you can feel any foam, and apply more.

I chose option #3 to fix my ZJ, and thus far it has done the trick.

It's just a crap design by DC.

Registered

Default Re: Re: Same here

-=- originally posted by milous -=-

Bob, this TSB applies to '99-'00 WJ's but might be worth checking out for your '01. This is the only WJ TSB out there that applies to interior AC condensation, have not heard of this as an issue on any models outside of what this TSB refers to.

240699A - CONDENSATION ON EXTERIOR OF HEATER HOUSING
    Date: 12/17/99
    Thanks. I'll look around under the dash and see if this seems possible once we get some more hot, humid weather when this is happening.
    Bob