Thread: Dana 35 axle shafts (ABS and no ABS?)?

Registered

Post Dana 35 axle shafts (ABS and no ABS?)?

Are the axle shafts out of all C-clip Dana 35's the same regardless of whether it had ABS or not? I recently aquired some axleshafts out of a '98 TJ Dana 35, which had ABS. They have a gear out near the hub where the magnetic pickup was for the ABS. I never looked at my axle shafts a lot, but don't remember seeing that there. I don't have ABS. Do my axle shafts have that gear as well? If not, does it matter?

Registered

btt

Anyone???

i have never tried it but i think that the shaft is the same and gear is pressed on and removeable. but never having seen one first-hand i'm not positive.

------------------
    Comanches Rule!
    '98 TJ Sahara... i've done some things to it. lots of things. too many to list in a sig.
    The highlights being the one ton axles, the SOA and the tube work. discussion over.

I know for a fact that for a '95 XJ, the D35 shafts for ABS and non-ABS axles are DIFFERENT. It's something to do with the splines, that's why you see ABS and non-ABS compatible lockers. Now, it's possible, depending on what year your rig is (didn't mention it in your post and no sig, so it's makes it harder to tell), that you've got the ABS carrier and axle shafts (sans tone rings) anyway. I know that the last year or two of the YJ they all had the ABS carriers in the D35, regardless of if they actually had ABS or not.

------------------
    Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
    '95 XJ Sport, 6" lift, 33x12.5" BFG MT's, XD9000i, dual D44's w/4.56's, Detroits, 5-on-5.5" bolt pattern, manual hubs, SkyJacker trackbar, Tera UCA's/LCA's, Custom4x4 bumpers fr/rr, Revolvers, WP safari rack, Hella 500s, GDI 3-core, Rusty's intake, TB spacer, in-dash MD player
    '01 XJ Limited, Silver, UpCountry, 55W headlights, loaded, daily driver and tow rig
    http://Jeepin.com
    "God forgives, rocks and jumps don't."
    "Long live solid axles!"
    "It's a Jeep thing, DC doesn't understand..."
    Jason - Jeepin.com
    '95 XJ, RE 5.5", 35's, D30 w/hubs & ARB, D44 w/Detroit, 4.56's, etc, etc.
    '00 TJ, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35's, OX, full cage, winch, etc, etc.
    2006 Dodge Ram MegaCab 3500 SLT, CTD, 48RE, plates read: "TOW RIG"
    my blog

Registered

Well, I have an '89 XJ....Sounds like I may be SOL then eh?

Anyone have axleshafts lyin around that could take some pics of them (particularly the spline)?

Exclamation

TIME OUT!
    if you have an '89 then you shouldn't even have c-clips on your axles. they didn't put c-clips in the dana 35's until 1990.
    i have an '89 comanche that used to have a dana 35 in it(no c-clips, no ABS). i still have both the shafts if you're interested?

------------------
    Comanches Rule!
    '98 TJ Sahara... i've done some things to it. lots of things. too many to list in a sig.
    The highlights being the one ton axles, the SOA and the tube work. discussion over.

Registered

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JeepXLC:
    TIME OUT!
    if you have an '89 then you shouldn't even have c-clips on your axles. they didn't put c-clips in the dana 35's until 1990.
    i have an '89 comanche that used to have a dana 35 in it(no c-clips, no ABS). i still have both the shafts if you're interested?

</font>
    I know, I know....I know I'm not "supposed" to, but I was told I had a c-clip axle. I have an '89 XJ with a Dana 35C with a production date of August 1987. I gues I'm gonna have to just pull the cover off and check it out myself (probably should've when I changed the diff fluid last year). The mechanic that installed my gears/locker said I had c-clips, but maybe he was smokin somethin that day and meant to say it didn't. Only one way to find out!

I will definitely be interested in those shafts if I find out that I don't have c-clips.