Thread: scout II dana 44 swap to cj 7

Default scout II dana 44 swap to cj 7

hi thanks for looking I'm thinking about putting a set of scout axles under my cj 7 has anyone got any advice or tried this?what do I need to do? thanks :bangnerd:

Registered

Icon5a

There may be an issue with the casters with this particular front axle, if I'm not mistaken. There are guys on this board that have much more knowledge about the different axles that have been tried under the CJ....I'm sure they will gladly offer some advice.

Good Luck.

Just my .03 cents worth.

CJ4PLAY
    '78 CJ7 258 bored over 30, Howell TBI, DUI Ignition, Hedman Headers, newly installed (October'04) T-18a Tranny, TERALOW DANA 20 TC gears and upgraded output shaft, Painless wiring, Warn Rock Sliders and Diff Guards, Superlift 2.5" Suspension SOA, with Dana 44 Front and Dana 60 Rear, Poison Spyder FULL WIDTH KIT and High Steer arms, 4.56 gears, Lockright front, Detroit Soft Locker-Rear, Skyjacker shocks, 37x14.50/15 MAXXIS CREEPY CRAWLERS on black steel wheels, and a Warn x8000i winch up front.

Registered

search been done alot
    1986 CJ7 Laredo
    258 I6 parts for sale PM if you need something

-=- originally posted by CJ4PLAY -=-
    There may be an issue with the casters with this particular front axle, if I'm not mistaken.

CJ4PLAY
    same here, the castor on the scout axle is at 0 degrees and you need between 4 and 6 i think. you will have to grind off the welds and rotate the knuckle or take it somewhere and have it done. on my cj5 i had to outboard the spring hangers for the extra width, im not sure about on the 7.

rob

Registered

If you don't want the hassle of rotating the knuckles, you could use degree shims to pick up caster...but the pinion would be way down, almost a plow.
    '73 CJ5...CJ-Huh?

Registered

You have to outboard the springs in the front and rotate the knuckles. If you try it anyother way, you will not be happy with the results. The rear is easy!

TJ

Registered

Default I just did this swap..

..last December, but I picked up some 1980 ScoutII Dana 44's for my swap. The '80 Scout's front D44 comes with 2* Caster built in. You can get away with that on a spring under (I don't know about a SOA though), but if you want you can also buy Caster Correctors from "The Scout Ranch" ($42.00) that bolt-on and will give you another 1.5* Caster. '80 ScoutII WMS' are only around 58" so you can run them full width, and the wheel bolt pattern is the same as the D30 BUT, you will have to outboard the front spring mounts and also move the rear perches in some. Poison Spyder Customs (www.spydercustoms.com) makes a kit for the front that outboards the springs and gives you a Shackle-Reverse setup at the same time with minimal welding required. That's the route I took with my '81 Scrambler. The Scout 6 bolt External Hubs are marginally stronger than the 5 bolt units on the D30, but not as strong as Ford (or FSJ) Internal Hubs though.

I've put around 5k miles and 3 trips to Tahoe (snow covered mountain roads) with this setup, including sustained 75mph highway speeds and it behaves no worse than it did before the swap except that it is much more stable on & off road with the wider axles.

Here's a front shot of the Jeep before & after the swap

BTW, those wider flares (Xenons) were added a week later to keep the mud/snow rooster-tails (off the front tire) out of my face. Trust me, all it takes is 1 rock to ruin your smile.

Good luck
    Nick

1981 CJ8: 258(+0.030"), NV3550, RV Cam, TFI Ignition, Borla Header, Howell TBI. F&R D44's w/4.09's & ARB's, OBA. 5" Lift w/SRS, 33x12.50x15 BFG MT's, Mud

2001 Camaro SS M6. Dynojet #'s: 334rwhp/356rwtq

Registered

we did it on a buddies jeep... the front axle is kinda a pita... you have to outboard the springs, worry about the caster and you have to do something with the steering (stock scout steering setup wont work).

IMO, a waggy front axle is a better candidate.. you still have to outboard, but there isnt the caster issue.... although you'll have to get other parts to make it the correct bolt pattern.

-Mel
    '85 CJ7, injected 258I6, 999 Auto, D44 front ARB'd, waggy rear w detroit, 4.56 gears, Teralo D300 case, SOA susp w hy-steer, Glass Tub, full cage, Warn HS9500i, 36" Iroks, Jeep Club - Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
    www.hrja.org www.in2jeep.com