Thread: De-Gold Wheels

Registered

Question De-Gold Wheels

I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 5.2 which came with gold wheels(inner) which I can't stand.. So far I have painted them gloss black but then chipped so I sparyed paint stripper on them and it ate up the black and some gold too:laugh:!
    I really like the design though and im wanting to sand the gold off or use a drill with a wire brush to take the remaining gold off. Would this work or is there another way besides the paint stripper(don't want it on my new All-Terrian's!)
    After completing that I would like to get them either chrome dipped or powder coated. Not sure on the cost?

Thanks for your help

Buy some steelies and paint them whatever color you want.
    Thought I was dead.....turns out I was just in Kansas......

I know you don't wanna do it, but you should take the tires off the rim, especially to chrome or powdercoat. I'm going to strip and paint mine black, and hope it doesn't take too long, because it's my daily driver too. Black steelies are cool, but I'm going to try 31x10.5 tires on the stock 15x7's first because they are lighter and will never rust.

Here's some great info I found about the process:

http://www.thepontiactransampage.com/clear.html
    94 Black ZJ Limited, 5.2l, NP231 Swap, TC EZ-Ride 4" front / 3" rear coils + 1" rear coil spacer, TC EZ-Ride LCA's, TC SX8000 Nitro Shocks, OME SD-40, Track Bars Relocated, Skyjacker Front Discos, Rubicon Ext. Rear Links, 2" Rear Bump Stop, Mopar Performance PCM, Edelbrock Headers, Magnaflow 3" cat, Kolak 3" Cat Back, Custom Intake, Tomken Front Bumper, All Synthetics, Lots of POR-15, 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's 4" bs, 33x12.5-15" BGF AT KO's, 4.56 Front and Rear Gears waiting to be installed!

Registered

IMO take them off, find a shop that will bead blast them and then use a high-temp paint... Or pay more money have someone paint/clear......
    05 Cummins QC LWB 4x4 6sp
    02 4.7 Limited 2wd
    98 Platinum 5.2 2wd (SOLD)
    97 Laredo 4.0 2wd (SOLD)

It's probably cheaper to buy some new wheels when they are on a special sale at some place like TireRack. The prep work for powder coating and then the coating will cost the same. By the way, now that you've stripped the clear coat along with your black paint, those wheels are going to corrode in a few days! Raw aluminum doesn't like weather.

Registered

Thanks for the help! I'm going to take them off the tire and get them bead blasted or I might just get some new wheels! Great link too ICrush!
    I will get some pics up a soon as I get my wheels done