Thread: torque wrench- ft. lbs vs. inch lbs

Registered

Default torque wrench- ft. lbs vs. inch lbs

I bought a torque wrench, and didnt read the fine print. It's in inch pounds. This is a dumb question, but does 12 inch pounds equal 1 ft. pound?

Registered

Yes
    Current . . . 99 XJ
    Prev . . . 87 XJ
    Prev . . . 78 CJ-5 Golden Eagle

Registered

yes

Registered

cool, now i just gotta figure out how to properly set this thing. It's lookin like hiroglyphics to me.

Hey guys, I've always heard that it's 144 inches for a square foot. Doesn't the same apply for torque since you're dealing with pound per square inch or pound per square feet?

White Knuckle Express BONEWAGON's Avatar

Torque is not measured in psi.
    1989 XJ Un-Limited
    Member of the 200,000 Mile + Club!
    More than enough lift
    A few skulls
    Trail damage on order

Your recovery vehicle couldn't make it!

http://community.webshots.com/album/...host=community

Meandering backward through time in the Useless Age

"Nowhere isn't far enough!"

Registered

-=- originally posted by jestro -=-
    cool, now i just gotta figure out how to properly set this thing. It's lookin like hiroglyphics to me.
    i would take it back an get one for foot lbs.

120 inch lbs equals 10 ft lbs. not alot of uses for inch lbs

what do you plan on using the torgue wrench for?

hiroglyphics? try reading a micrometer.

1 foot-pound = 12 inch-pounds. Take a look at the torque specs for your vehicle and you will see there is very little use for a wrench that measures inch-pounds. Take it back and swap it for a foot-pound wrench.

Dirt Merchant

-=- originally posted by DHMeieio -=-
    Take a look at the torque specs for your vehicle and you will see there is very little use for a wrench that measures inch-pounds. Take it back and swap it for a foot-pound wrench.

agreed... unless you're going to be doing a lot of ring & pinion set-ups, get a ft-lb wrench
    '87 XJ Colorado Red & California desert pinstripes
    4.6L Stroker
    Locked & geared front & rear
    RE 6" lift w/33" MT/R's
    Drop Brackets, OBA, WJ/ZJ Brakes

'96 ZJ Limited
    Budget boost, 31s and a CB

The real answer is you should have both in your garage. Keep the inch and buy a foot! More tools = better
    '99 XJ Sport, Black 5sp, loaded, OME 5.0"(ft), OME/RE 5.0"(r) lift, JKS quick disco's, JKS adj. Track bar, JKS LCA/UCA's, ARB pump, AEV locker switches, 5.9 rims w/255/85/16, Rockcrawler rims, 285/75/16(TrXus!), SYE - Tom Woods, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers (fr&r), Mopar skids, Rustys Xfer case skid, Midland 160XLT CB, C4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier, C4x4 rock rails, Hi-Lift jack, ARB ft bumper, Warn XD9000, Wilderness rack, Hella 550's, IPF head lights, DPG rear bump-stops, K&N dropin, 62mm TB w/spacer, SkidRow LCA protection, ACOS.http://home.centurytel.net/~jimbar/

Registered

http://www.onlineconversion.com/torque.htm

something about 1 inch pound force = .083 foot lb force

you will probably use a ft lb wrench a lot more than the inch lb

Jestro,
    The inch/lb. torque wrench will come in handy for trans pan, valve cover and similar bolts which have small ft/lb requirements. And like jimbar said, more tools= better.

.083 ft lb would equal 1 inch pound because 12*.083 is basically 1. Just in case anyone was confused. Also the only reason 12 pounds per square foot is 144 pound per square inch is because there's a square in there...12 squared is 144...inch pound is not the same as psi.
    91 Cherokee with selectrac, 2" Rusty's AAL BB, 31x10.5 Liberator AT's, K&N cone filter, Magnaflow muffler, Catco high flow catalytic converter, MSD ingition coil, RF keyless entry and alarm, 12" Alpine Type-S, subwoofer, Reverse indiglo gauges, doorless, APC steering wheel.
    http://www.geocities.com/jfw432/index.html

Torque is defined as the vector cross product of force X distance. In other words, the force applied to the end of the wrench multiplied by the radial distance from the center of rotation to the point at which the force is applied. More specifically, only the component of the applied force that is in the direction perpendicular to the lever-arm is counted as force. This means that you have to push at a right angle to the wrench to deliver the most useful force (makes sense) And the radius arm (length) is not necessarily the length of your wrench. If you have a 24" breaker bar, but you are not using it at a right angle to the socket, your distance will be less than 24". Multiply the distance by the sin of the angle to get the effecitve distance. The sin of 90 degrees is 1, so you get your maximum lever arm at 90 degrees to the bolt, since the sin of any angle is no more than 1.

Remeber, torque is the force times the distance. This is why torque is measured in ft*lbs. Can also be inch*lbs, inch*ounces, newton*meters, yard*miles, or whatever. They can all be converted to other units, but if it's a force times a distance, you've got torque. Note that pounds is a force, and not a mass. I won't go into that here, that's several paragraphs in itself.

So you should be able to figure out mathematically why a 24" breaker bar can apply more torque than an 8" wrench. Triple the distance. Or, if you need 100ft*lbs, you can get that with 100lbs of force with a distance of 1foot, or 200lbs of force with half a foot, or 50 lbs of force at 2 feet. And from this 100lbs force * 1 foot = 100ft*lbs is the same as saying 100lbs force * 12 inches = 1200in*lbs, and since 1ft=12inches, we have proven that 100ft*lbs=1200in*lbs

Did this make any sense?

Registered

Default Ton*Miles ?

Good Explanation! But you lost it in one place: Yard*Miles. Neither is a force.
    Alan
    --------------
    '90 XJ Pioneer 4.0, 5-speed
    Rancho steering stabilizer & RS9000 shocks.
    Was Optima Battery, Now Die-Hard.
    GDI 3-core Open-System Radiator conversion.
    Car Sound high-flow cat & 2 1/4" Flowmaster 50 Delta Series muffler.
    Powerstop Rotors, VGX graphite/carbon pads.
    4 Gauge Batt & Alt Wires w/West Marine Fuse System.

Default Re: Ton*Miles ?

-=- originally posted by Alan Ruuska -=-
    Good Explanation! But you lost it in one place: Yard*Miles. Neither is a force.
    Whoops...Good catch. At least I know that somebody bothered to read all that and that it made some sense. Not sure what I meant to type there, but ton*miles works for me. Or Horsepower*minutes.

yard*miles is an area. So, how many board feet equals one yard*mile, anyway?