Thread: Gray key vs. Black key

Registered

Default Gray key vs. Black key

I was at Home Depot last night, so I figured I would get a couple of spare keys made for my WJ. I was told by the guy at Home Depot who is an owner of a Chrysler vehicle, that the gray keys have chips in them for the security system. If you get a copy made at a place like Home Depot, the keys will unlock the vehicle but won't start it. This could be used to hide on your vehicle in case you lock your keys in your vehicle. The black keys don't have chips in them.

There was another thread from a guy in SF that lost his keys. I was wondering why people were stating such different prices for getting keys made. This is why.
    Jen
    '03 KJ Renegade
    '00 WJ Laredo
    L.O.S.T KJ #1970

Banned

Both the grey and black key fobs have chips in them, thats why the stealerships can charge so much for them. You can get non-OEM keys, usually grey, with transponders in them on ebay for less.

Call a locksmith. They can get OEM Transponder keys cheap.

What you were told about the keys is correct, the grey key has a transponder in it and if that transponder is missing the vehicle will not run. You can get OEM key blanks with the transponder on eBay for $10-$20.

In vehicles with memory seats, the black key/remote automaticly recalls the memory for driver 1 when unlocking the doors.

The gray key/remote recalls memory for driver 2 when unlocked with the gray set.

I'd imagine it could be programmed to do either though.
    99 Limited 4.7

-=- originally posted by Spames -=-
    In vehicles with memory seats, the black key/remote automaticly recalls the memory for driver 1 when unlocking the doors.

The gray key/remote recalls memory for driver 2 when unlocked with the gray set.

I'd imagine it could be programmed to do either though.
    True for fobs, not for keys.
    2000 WJ 4.7 Ltd. with a few mods and a slight rash.

Transponder keys From Jeep are gray. Aftermarket ones can be any colour you want. At the locksmith shop that I work at we have red, blue, black, green, white and glow in the dark.

1999 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L 4x4 QT-II K&N FIPK / Up Country Springs / Addco Rear Sway Bar / Michelin Cross Terrain 245/75/R16

2004 Silver Rubicon - No Mods Yet But they are coming soon

Registered

-=- originally posted by mako -=-
    Both the grey and black key fobs have chips in them, thats why the stealerships can charge so much for them. You can get non-OEM keys, usually grey, with transponders in them on ebay for less.

People often confuse this. The chip is not in the fob, it's in the key itself. Yes, they have two different color fobs so you can tell #1 and #2 a part. From Chrysler, the grey keys have an rfid chip and the black ones don't.
    ZJ : 7.5" LA's... 35's and stuff.

Registered

Default Re: Gray key vs. Black key

If you have two previously programed keys, it's cake to program a third. If you have less than 2 you have to go the dealer to get the key programed with their computer.

-=- originally posted by bygbyrd -=-
    I was at Home Depot last night, so I figured I would get a couple of spare keys made for my WJ. I was told by the guy at Home Depot who is an owner of a Chrysler vehicle, that the gray keys have chips in them for the security system. If you get a copy made at a place like Home Depot, the keys will unlock the vehicle but won't start it. This could be used to hide on your vehicle in case you lock your keys in your vehicle. The black keys don't have chips in them.

There was another thread from a guy in SF that lost his keys. I was wondering why people were stating such different prices for getting keys made. This is why.
    ZJ : 7.5" LA's... 35's and stuff.

Default Re: Re: Gray key vs. Black key

It is very easy if you have 2 working transponder
    keys. But if you only had one key find a locksmith to do it. It would be cheaper then the dealer.

That transponder key programer is not cheap. I had to pay alot of money for the one I have but in my line of work it's needed

1999 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L 4x4 QT-II K&N FIPK / Up Country Springs / Addco Rear Sway Bar / Michelin Cross Terrain 245/75/R16

2004 Silver Rubicon - No Mods Yet But they are coming soon

Default Re: Re: Gray key vs. Black key

-=- originally posted by One2Nutz -=-
    If you have two previously programed keys, it's cake to program a third. If you have less than 2 you have to go the dealer to get the key programed with their computer.
    Excellent point, I recently ordered a spare so even if I lose one I will still have two and will still be able to program extra keys myself. Otherwise a lost key means a trip to the dealer.

Why do I have a grey remote and a black remote but both of my keys are grey? I don't have memory seats.

andrew

-=- originally posted by Hooligan -=-
    Why do I have a grey remote and a black remote but both of my keys are grey? I don't have memory seats.

andrew
    The key has nothing to do with memory seats, that is controlled by the fob. You have two grey keys because OEM grey keys have the imbedded transponder.