Thread: R-134a Retrofit Kit

will give rep for beer

Default R-134a Retrofit Kit

I just bought the R-134a Retrofit Kit. Are there any tips before I insall it? Anyone else done this conversion? It was on clerance at kmart for on $22.

Thanks
    Chris

Registered

Just follow the direction is pretty straight forward and easy. Takes about 5 mins to do. Worked pretty good for my old work beater.

Mark

what comes in that kit anyway?

i recharged my r 12 with 134 last summer and it works great(39* out of the vents in 108* outside temp)

a mechanic told me to properly convert a r12 to 134 cost like $300. which comes with new hoses dryer/accumulator ect. I told him i mixed it and was told that I ruined all of the components listed in the proper conversion. So far it is still working great.
    96 XJ Sport

Banned

I've used it on a few cars....
    #1 was the 86 XJ..Works, leaks about a can a month(and getting worse) From the compressor front flange...I"m not too worried untill it locks up.

#2 was the 88 Toyota Camry(GF's car) Works, Leaks about a can a month from(you guessed it) Front compressor flange.

3. was a friends 84 Maxima. Works, LEaks about a can a month(see a pattern here?)

the thing is this....If you have an empty system be it r12 or r134, it's empty for a reason. that reason being there is a leak somewhere in the system...usually compressor flange, or if you are really unlucky the Evaporator in the dash.

Massive leaks will be easy to see(look for the big plume of white steam..DON"T BREATHE IT!!!!!!) Smaller ones will be kinda hard.

They DO sell a sealer you can use...the cheap stuff is like 6 bucks a can, and is just brake fluid(as far as I can tell...it makes seals swell..and then fail more) I tried it in the XJ, and I think that's why it leaks more now.

the good stuff is a 2 part process..It's usually available from an auto A/C shop..and is like 35-55 bucks for the system. I've never used the 2 part stuff personally, but we did use it at my old job, and it seemed to work good.

I deal with the leaks, because I'm cheap, and I buy cans of 134 during the winter when it's like 99c a can.

Going on 3 years here in SO CA and haven't needed to add any yet. First time in my life "leak sealer" actually worked. System is happy, wallet is happy, life is good.
    1989 Cherokee Limited 4.0L currently at 260k miles and ready for more.

The search function is MOMENTARILY unavailable due to high system loads.

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

The 134 conversion runs at a higher pressure than the 12 system. The only issue with mine was I shoulda changed all the high pressure lines when I did it. On 2 or 3 occasions after the install I split hoses and had to replace them. The last time I just bought whatever high pressure pieces were left and did it all to be done with it. Other than that its ok. But it cools nowhere near as good as the R12 (imho...) system but its better than not having A/C in TX.
    -Willie
    White 91 XJ Limited

Chassis/Skids: ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn 8000lb Winch and IPF 800's; Tomken Machine 4" Rocker Slides, Oil Pan/Tranny Pan Skid, Xfer Skid; Stock Front Skid and Fuel Tank Skid; Bushwacker Cut Outs
    Engine: Custom Built 4.0L bored 0.060 over by JFI Inc, Plano TX
    Cooling: GDI Brass 3-row Radiator, HESCO Hi-Flow Waterpump, HESCO Hi-Flow T/S Housing, and Mr Gasket Hi-Flow 180 deg Balanced Brass T/S
    Drivetrain: ARB's front and back w/4.10's, Corporate 8.25 rear w/29 spline axles, BFG 31x13 MT KM's (its a P-metric actually) on 15x10 4.5" BS Rockcrawlers
    Suspension: Skyjacker 3" Double Flex Spacered and Shackled to 4", Extended Front/Rear Bump Stops, and Nitro Shocks
    Other: Wet Okole front covers, stereo, some interior refurb, blah, blah, God I know I leaving something out.... Man this thing is a money pit...

My dad did the conversion on two different vehicles and both compressors locked up.

I also did it on my old Audi (before he did his) and it locked that one up too.

Mechanics tell me R12 compressors don't like the new stuff whatsoever and tend to crap out within a year or so. Fortunately my truck already has 134, even though it doesn't blow that cold.
    94 XJ Country NP231 AW4, 145k miles
    Cooper Discoverer ST/AR767, front towhook, PIAA 40's and Hidden Hitch. 1.5" budget boost 10/08

I'm pretty sure an XJ compressor on ebay or in the junk yard is around $30 or less. If it craps out just go get the compressor from whatever year they started using the new stuff.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!

-=- originally posted by Chris in VA -=-
    My dad did the conversion on two different vehicles and both compressors locked up.

I also did it on my old Audi (before he did his) and it locked that one up too.

Mechanics tell me R12 compressors don't like the new stuff whatsoever and tend to crap out within a year or so. Fortunately my truck already has 134, even though it doesn't blow that cold.
    Hmm? I remember changing or at least adding some oil suitable for the 134 stuff. I also quickly evacuated the compressor with it's own plumbing and the engine. Leave the suction line sealed, open the high pressure port and jumper the clutch pressure switch while running it for a few minutes. That's assuming it's already empty, of course! *cough* *cough*

Did the same changeover on my Ford van around that time and although it leaks a can/year both the XJ/E150 compressors are quiet and show no signs of failure.

Three years and no problems other than the systems seem to be able to deliver only about 80% capacity compared to R12 but that's a little like using a butt dyno to compare engine mods! LOL...
    1989 Cherokee Limited 4.0L currently at 260k miles and ready for more.

The search function is MOMENTARILY unavailable due to high system loads.

The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

will give rep for beer

*****UPDATE******

I just tried to do the kit today. I was kind sacred though because it stated to sound like it was going to blow up then the AC fan turned on. I have never heard it on before. Then a big white cloud started to shoot out from arround my radiator. So there is a leak in the line somewhere. So I ripped off the entire front end of the jeep trying to find the leak. I found it but it will just be to much of a hassle to bother with. So I will just lewave it.

Anyone want to buy the kit off me, all you will need is 2 cans of r134a and you can convert your r12 system to r134a, $12 shipped anyone??

sounds like time for a new condensor radiator shops can fix them FYI
    96 XJ Sport

OBA.

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!

Just convert the AC compressor to an OBA. That is what I did. You will be much happier. Costs about $50 for everything you need. I can air up my tires in about 5 mins. I have to drive with the windows down but I love the heat here in Texas.
    93 XJ, Six inch Rock Ready lift with two inch spacers, Rusty's adjustable trackbar, 35x12.5x15 BFG MT, TJ flares, rear Bulletproof Bumper, Home-made front bumper, OBA. Rear 8.25, Front d30 with 297 U-joints, Warn Diff Skid, and Lockright. Safari Snorkel, C4x4 Double Tube rock rails. Warn HS9500.