Thread: Grinding nois while driving

Default Grinding noise while driving

I have an 89 4.0 with 5spd and I'm getting a grinding noise while i drive. I usually hear it when i accelerate but not always. Its not a constant grinding but just off and on. Everything seems to work fine just the noise, but I havn't been driving it since I started hearing the grinding noise. It sounds like its coming from the transfer case. So what could it be?????

I have a 2000 and i just move my t-case lever back and forth a few times when i get some grinding sounds. It wont go away fully, but i can get it pretty quiet.
    Sold all jeeps.

Registered

Not sure if it has much to do with your problem, but when I'm in 4wd, if I give the vehicle a small burst of gas, then the front drive shaft starts making a grinding sound until I slow down enough. I'm thinking that it's probably the u-joint.

So it's either that (which I doubt, since it's not in 4wd...), or you have some bad bearings in your transfer case.

As for moving the shifter back and forth a couple times: Noises don't just go away on their own. They don't get quieter on their own either. I'd suggest checking it out before something breaks.

so should i just get another t-case or just have this one checked out?

Registered

I would definitely try to get it checked out before buying/getting a new/used one. While getting another T-case may be less of a hassle, it's definitely not cost efficient.

When you accelerate..................... axle wrap........... pinion goes up.
    U-joints are loaded with torque.
    So if something is worn out it could show like a grinding noise.

Check them out for play in the bearing cups.
    Emile Dutch I'ts hard to have the right vehicle..... in the wrong country."

The Netherlands Black '89 XJ Ltd.4.0L, Selec-Trac. Splitfires K&N . Extra 2" airintake. Flowmaster 50 series, no cat. just straight pipe.
    '91 overhead console. Headligts- and doorlocks relays upgrade.
    RE Superride 3.5"with full leafpacks, adj. trackbar, OME's, 30" tires.
    Front DS in rear with adapter and RE SYE.

Other cars:
    MB 500SEL 1985
    Citroen C1 2006

Registered

Default Re: Grinding noise while driving

-=- originally posted by Dune182 -=-
    I have an 89 4.0 with 5spd and I'm getting a grinding noise while i drive. I usually hear it when i accelerate but not always. Its not a constant grinding but just off and on. Everything seems to work fine just the noise, but I havn't been driving it since I started hearing the grinding noise. It sounds like its coming from the transfer case. So what could it be?????
    How many miles are on the case?
    Anywhere near 60K, and I'd recommend a new bearing for the output shaft. It's a crap design anyway, and the bearing is like 30 bucks worth of protection.

New case is around $1500 new, or $700-800 at a wrecking yard, or $250-$300 from a good-natured fellow wheeler. Which would you prefer?
    Another train of thought is your rear pinion universal. You said it is sporadic. Is this only on acceleration?
    most liberals are so open-minded that if they lean over, their brains fall out.
    1981 Scrambler with 5.7L LS1, auto tranny and NP205.

1986 Comanche in shop in pieces

Other vehicles: 2004 Ford Exploder Sport-Trac
    2004 Chevy crewcab 2500 HD
    1995 extended cab Chevy 1500

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity.
    --Robert A. Heinlein

Hooking trolls since 1999....
    Counsel of Elders Member #4

Registered

same problem here.. but just to make you feel better, mine's been doing it for about a year now. It's super ultra loud now, but still haven't had time to figure out what it is. I have no ebrake or center console so if i lift up the plastic piece i can watch my SYE spin and the noise is loud as hell when you're lookin at it, so it's deffinetly coming from there. If yours is like mine, it clunks sometimes when i hit the accelerater too.
    Jetta TDI :]