Thread: RB1 Navigation System wiring question

Question RB1 Navigation System wiring question

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that shows which wire connected to the RB1 is the speed sensor wire? I would like to try running it through a switch so I can temporarily disable it so a passenger can change the destination while driving. My last car's navigation system allowed changes while driving and I found it to be a very convenient feature.

There is no speed sensor wire. Everything comes in via the PCI bus and it's all multiplexed together. Besides, it has a GPS reciever and probably gets your speed from that.
    Jeremy - San Antonio, TX
    L.O.S.T. #300603
    2003 KJ Freedom 4x4, Bright Silver Metallic
    3.7, 42RLE Automatic, Selec-Trac, Tow Package, ABS, Side Air Bags, Alarm, and Sunroof.
    Mods:
    245/65R17 Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts, Ghetto-Fab(rications) Lightbar, Cobra 75WXST with 4' Firestik II, Custom eTrex GPS power and data install, '00 Grand Cherokee EVIC, Boulder Bars, All-J Transmission SuperSkid, Mopar Skids, Mopar Tow Hooks, 9007ST Silverstars.

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression: for if he violates
    this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach unto himself. -- Thomas Paine

Registered

WedgeGuy,

I'm not sure how the RB1 determines speed. Possibilities include:

1) GPS input.
    2) From the Body Control Module via the PCI bus.
    3) Internal gyroscope.

Or a combination of the above.

One way to eliminate the PCI Bus is to disconnect pin 14 on connector 1, see the below hyperlink.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/radio_systemdiag2.jpg

If you decide to disconnect pin 14, let us know what your findings are.

Big Al

Registered
    Nottsure, Wair (6.1 liters NW of Wairemi)

If you pull the PCI wire from the RB1... you WILL be able to enter data at any speed...

BUT, you will not get map movement, only orientation movement when you turn. By getting orientation movement, the system knows you are moving, it just won't plot it on the map.

The remote steering wheel controls will also become inoperative with the PCI wire disconnected.

You could probably wire up a switch to turn the PCI signal on/off, just not sure if there would be any drawbacks to that approach, meaning if the system would get "confused" entering data with no PCI and then recomputing with it back on. I don't think it would.

Thanks for the good information. I know in a couple of other Nav systems, like in the Lincoln Navigator or Toyota Prius, there is a speed sensor wire and that's what the system uses to disable the "on the fly" programming. In those cases, it's really easy to put in a momentary switch that opens that connection and then the system allows reprogramming. But now I see that it is the PCI bus that carries that info and a lot more in the Liberty. I guess before I try disconnecting the PCI bus from the radio I'd better find out what else will be affected before I risk messing up the whole car.

I know that about a week after I got my latest DVD, they came out with an updated version that allowed programming up to 10 MPH, but when I called them and asked for that version instead of the one they sent me, they flat refused unless I paid them $175 for it. They actually got a bit hostile about it, which I really didn't understand. Has anyone had any better luck in dealing with those DC/Alpine Tech Support people?

Registered

-=- originally posted by WedgeGuy -=- I guess before I try disconnecting the PCI bus from the radio I'd better find out what else will be affected before I risk messing up the whole car.
    Nothing else would be affected...

I know that about a week after I got my latest DVD, they came out with an updated version that allowed programming up to 10 MPH, but when I called them and asked for that version instead of the one they sent me, they flat refused unless I paid them $175 for it. They actually got a bit hostile about it, which I really didn't understand. Has anyone had any better luck in dealing with those DC/Alpine Tech Support people?
    This is surprising (especially the hostility you mention) as I have heard nothing but great things about the tech support since its inception in Nov. 2002 when the RB1 came out. How long ago did you get your updated disc?

-=- originally posted by milous -=-
    This is surprising (especially the hostility you mention) as I have heard nothing but great things about the tech support since its inception in Nov. 2002 when the RB1 came out. How long ago did you get your updated disc?
    When I was going to buy the RB1 last year, I called Tech Support to ask about the disk update policy, as my previous car also had a Nav System and it came with a coupon for the next annual update at no charge. Alpine Tech Support told me that the RB1 also came with a coupon, but if I waited until June (2003) to buy, the unit would come with the new disk. So I waited until June and bought the RB1 then, but the one I got still came with the old disk. I called Tech Support again and they said I would have to use my coupon to get the new disk, which they said would be out within the next month. They said if I sent in the coupon right away, that I would get the disk as soon as it came out, so that's what I did. About two months later, the new disk showed up, and about a week after that, I read that there was yet an even newer update that included the change to allow you to program it up to 10 MPH instead of having to be at a dead stop. That's when I called and asked for the new disk since I had only recently purchased the unit and had to immediately use my coupon to get the updated disk. That's when they refused and told me I should just be happy I got an updated disk at no charge. I asked why a new revision had come out so quickly after the previous release (within a month) and they said because they forgot to put in that feature. I still don't understand why they just didn't send me the updated version. What does a DVD cost them? A quarter? Anyway...that's why I'm looking for a way to get around the programming lockout.

Registered

WedgeGuy,

The cost driver is not the DVD disc, it’s the licensing rights to the Software. As for the getting around the programming lockout, it sure would be nice to manipulate the software code, here are few things I would change:
    1) Get rid of that annoying opening disclaimer screen.
    2) Get rid of the speed lock out.
    3) Enable playing of DVD’s
    4) Personalize the opening “JEEP” screen.
    5) Fix some of the obvious database errors.

Big Al

Registered

-=- originally posted by WedgeGuy -=- I asked why a new revision had come out so quickly after the previous release (within a month) and they said because they forgot to put in that feature.
    It wasn't that they "forgot" to put in that feature, it was a running change that was requested by Chrysler, probably due to all of the complaints they were getting from customers not being able to program the unit while moving, notably in very slow traffic. This change was requested after the main database release came out in mid-July 2003 and was released at the end of August.

I also hate that opening screen, the main problem being that you have to turn off that screen every time you start up the ignition. So if you make a lot of stops on a programmed trip it becomes annoying real quick.

The reason it does not play DVD movies, and that it has the lockout while moving has to do with "safety", lawsuits etc.

-=- originally posted by milous -=-
    If you pull the PCI wire from the RB1... you WILL be able to enter data at any speed...

BUT, you will not get map movement, only orientation movement when you turn. By getting orientation movement, the system knows you are moving, it just won't plot it on the map.

The remote steering wheel controls will also become inoperative with the PCI wire disconnected.

You could probably wire up a switch to turn the PCI signal on/off, just not sure if there would be any drawbacks to that approach, meaning if the system would get "confused" entering data with no PCI and then recomputing with it back on. I don't think it would.
    The dimmer settings for the radio re also controlled by the PCI bus. I'd have to reccomend against pulling the radio off the bus. There really is no way to tell what effects that might have, especially on a complicated system like the RB1.
    Jeremy - San Antonio, TX
    L.O.S.T. #300603
    2003 KJ Freedom 4x4, Bright Silver Metallic
    3.7, 42RLE Automatic, Selec-Trac, Tow Package, ABS, Side Air Bags, Alarm, and Sunroof.
    Mods:
    245/65R17 Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts, Ghetto-Fab(rications) Lightbar, Cobra 75WXST with 4' Firestik II, Custom eTrex GPS power and data install, '00 Grand Cherokee EVIC, Boulder Bars, All-J Transmission SuperSkid, Mopar Skids, Mopar Tow Hooks, 9007ST Silverstars.

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression: for if he violates
    this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach unto himself. -- Thomas Paine