Thread: Best way to connect two tow straps...

Registered

Default Best way to connect two tow straps...

and still can separate them after the pull???

Clevis shackle can be dangerous if the strap breaks (maybe less of a problem if strap is weighed down with heavy floor mats).
    '03 Rubicon, Nth TT skid, CV driveshaft, adj. uppers, Mopar steering skid, Cobra 75 WXST, 4xdoctor diff skids, 2"BB lift
    '01 Discovery II - our minivan
    '01 TJ, Detroit rear locker, 31" BFGs (sold)

I use cut off pieces of broom handle apporx 4" in length. Put one loop through the other. Slip the broom handle piece through the loop and pull. Never had a problem.

Obviously stand clear, but that goes w/o saying even if you;re just pulling from tow point to tow point.

Registered

If you want to tie it, I would use a Sheet bend, or a couple Bowline knots.

-Jordan
    04' Rubi
    -Nth TT, OPS
    -Warn rear bumper

-=- originally posted by ABN82MP -=-
    I use cut off pieces of broom handle apporx 4" in length. Put one loop through the other. Slip the broom handle piece through the loop and pull. Never had a problem.

Obviously stand clear, but that goes w/o saying even if you;re just pulling from tow point to tow point.
    I've seen something very similar to this printed many times over the years in magazines. A wooden dowl or wood of some type. I've used this method with no problem. I've even used recently fallen decent size tree limb.

Registered

Why can't you just put one strap through one of the loops of the other strap and then run the strap through the loop on its other end? Will puttling on this make it too tight to get apart?

Why can't you just put one strap through one of the loops of the other strap and then run the strap through the loop on its other end? Will puttling on this make it too tight to get apart?

yeah.i once tied 2 straps togher from pulling the knots got super tight wound up with a 100 ft strap after we got the jeep out.. when we got home sarted hacking at it with a knife and discoverd that as the knots got tighter friction started building up and the nylon part of the kevlar strap actualy melted toghether.

i would have to say if you need to put 2 straps together. use a small shackle/"D" ring(what ever you call them)would be your best bet

mike

I dont even wheel

-=- originally posted by wcjp -=-
    I've seen something very similar to this printed many times over the years in magazines. A wooden dowl or wood of some type. I've used this method with no problem. I've even used recently fallen decent size tree limb.

Last year at the York PA Jeep Show, one of the Paragon guides explained this method. He used a ~1"Dia.X10~12" long wooden dowl. Seems alot safer than if a shackle broke.

-=- originally posted by wcjp -=-

Another vote for the dowel method. I've seen this donely SAFELY and effectively a few times. If something ever did break, I'd much rather see a flying dowel than a speeding hunk o' metal.

-=- originally posted by DrownedTJ -=-

i would have to say if you need to put 2 straps together. use a small shackle/"D" ring(what ever you call them)would be your best bet

mike
    Mike, you can ask nearly any of the tens of thousands of members on here how safe a tow strap with metal hooks is and I'll bet in short order you will be overwhelmed with responses in the negative.

Why then, if it's so widely known that chunks of steel attached to a large rubber bands are so unsafe, would you then attach your own chunks of steel?

Not only that, but you have now placed it in the middle where you have almost guaranteed that in the event of either strap breaking you will be launching it with lots of force.

Do yourself and your friends a favor and use the wooden dowel or a knot or one strap. Leave the flying metal projectiles to the folks that play with catapults.
    If you buy for the warranty, buy two. You're gonna need them because warranties don't get you home.