Thread: Front Driveshaft Info incase you ever wondered..

Icon314 Front Driveshaft Info incase you ever wondered..

Over the past week or so I have ben rebuilding my front driveshaft with all new u-Joints, centering yoke and seals. So you dont have to go through the agony I did in getting part #'s I am posting what I found out.

This is specific to my 1997 Shaft however I would suspect a majority of this info is for all.

(3) U-Joints:
    Spicer # 1310
    Neapco # 1-0153
    Neapco Brute Force # 1-0153BF
    Rockford Driveline # K153

(1) Centering Yoke (Non-Greasable):
    Spicer # 211544X
    Neapco # 7-0082NG
    Rockford Driveline # R2-21-1544

(1) Centering Yoke (Greasable):
    Spicer # 211355X
    Neapco # 7-0082
    Rockford Driveline # R2-21-1355

(1) Slinger/Seal (for non-greasable yoke)
    Spicer # 2-86-418

The greasable and non-Greasable centering yoke is not interchangeable without changing out the ball joint shaft. (ie.. cutting off one and welding on anther) and if you wanted to do that I would advise buying a whole new shaft and keeping the old one as a spare.

07' Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4 (Mine!)
    06' Commander Limited 4x4(Hers, has a HEMI & a tow hitch)

http://jeep.i-thrash.net

Just lean back, show your rack and I’ll be in ecstasy! - Rodney Carrington

Registered

Damn, what luck. I came here to ask a question about the front drive shaft and this post is at the top of the list. Hold on while I go buy some lottery tickets……

I guess I used up all my luck for today by finding the post; the lottery ticket thing didn’t work out.

My question was going to be “is $600.00 way out of line to have the dealer replace the front driveshaft”? My 98 has 140,000 miles and is vibrating bad. I know one end of the drive shaft has to be almost gone. The dealer wants a little over the 600 to fix the problem and told me he would have to order an entire new front drive shaft. That didn’t seem right to me so I came here. Thanks for the info on the parts and I hope I haven’t stolen the post.
    Red Dawg 03 Rubicon - auto - Red of course.

Registered

-=- originally posted by Reddawg -=-
    Damn, what luck. I came here to ask a question about the front drive shaft and this post is at the top of the list. Hold on while I go buy some lottery tickets……

I guess I used up all my luck for today by finding the post; the lottery ticket thing didn’t work out.

My question was going to be “is $600.00 way out of line to have the dealer replace the front driveshaft”? My 98 has 140,000 miles and is vibrating bad. I know one end of the drive shaft has to be almost gone. The dealer wants a little over the 600 to fix the problem and told me he would have to order an entire new front drive shaft. That didn’t seem right to me so I came here. Thanks for the info on the parts and I hope I haven’t stolen the post.
    you could probably get a handful of front DS out of a salvage yard for a fraction of that price.
    97 Tacoma...I miss my XJ

Default Stealership strikes again.

$600 is way high, I bought all new parts for my shaft for around $110. (3) U-Joints $15 ea., Centering Joint $60, and seal$8. I think you can buy a new shaft for like $250-$300 it is a simple 8 bolts (4 front, 4 rear) to take off and put back on.

07' Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4 (Mine!)
    06' Commander Limited 4x4(Hers, has a HEMI & a tow hitch)

http://jeep.i-thrash.net

Just lean back, show your rack and I’ll be in ecstasy! - Rodney Carrington

Registered

My question was going to be “is $600.00 way out of line to have the dealer replace the front driveshaft”?
    Hells yeah, that's way out of line, especially if all they are going to do is replace your driveshaft. Unless your old DS is cracked or dented, I can't think why it would need to be replaced. I can, however, easily understand that the U-joints and yoke are worn out and need to be replaced; if this is the case, use the part #s supplied above, grab yourself some spicer parts and get your favorite machine shop to rebuild the shaft. I did just that last winter and it cost me $100--spicer parts, balancing, and new coat of black paint included.

PS-new shafts really are expensive, but my guess you don't actually need a complete new one.

i had a completely new one, from joint to joint, built, with heavier-duty stock, for $380. Would have been nearly $600 had I had the shop install it. it's beefy, and completely greaseable.

mine had bad u-joints and a VERY bad slip joint. there was no sense in fixing it at all...

Registered

so stock driveshafts are not greasable? someone asked me if my driveshaft parts (u-joints i guess) had be greased lately, what is there to grease?
    two rangers......and now a cherokee......ahhh, the reliability

Washington PA (or on a trail or river in Appalachia)

Damn, what luck. I came here to ask a question about the front drive shaft and this post is at the top of the list.

My question was going to be “is $600.00 way out of line to have the dealer replace the front driveshaft”?

Um, as long as you are getting line of cocaine, or a new shiny crystal plate, and if you are in need of hemhroid removal while they take you in the back and jam a fat one up your rear while you are there...

Then $600 is probably a good deal.

Otherwise, do me a favor, call your dealer and tell them that you are calling the DEA, and the medical director to report them, and think about purchasing a used replacement drive shaft from some one like me who sells them for $40-$80 plus shipping.

It should cost about $100 to $150 to rebuild a shaft with the parts listed above and the labor.
    If I wanted a Hummer I'd ask your sister.

THE FLEET

89 MJ PIONEER,95 XJ SPORT(5spd, Lifted, Locked), 05 LJ UNLIMITED RUBICON (6spd), 96 XJ SPORT(5spd, bone stock DD),
    RIP
    8XJ's, 1CJ7, 1TJ, 1YJ
    SOLD or TRADED
    1ZJ, 6XJ's, 1YJ7
    HER's
    05 TJSE