Thread: Power Steering Fluid Question

Registered

Icon316 Power Steering Fluid Question

Ok,

I've got a 1998 Grade Cherokee Laredo.

I managed to get luck enough to have the dealer repalce the steering gear under warranty.

However, the stealership didn't fill the PS reservior completely. (It barely touches the bottom of the cold marking on the dip stick.)

What type of power steering fluid does the 98 GCL use?

Thanks!

Gerhard
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

i just use regular ol power steering fluid in mine...
    slate 5.9 Limited, 8" long arm, 285's, 8.8-Artec truss, 231/SYE w/Novak, straight piped, Durango 160A alt, Optima Red, ZG markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, Vortech supercharger & 5 speed swap awaiting to be installed

Stone white 5.9 on 30" AT's, 231, glass ECE's w/custom harness, clear corners, tinted, u jointed shafts

where u introduced to different options? there should only be straight up P/S fluid, usually 'universal' exept for hondas (poop)
    www.northeastcrawlers.com

1993 zj 318ci. RE LA @ 9.5", Black Diamond 29.78" shox, ford 8.8 spooled, 36x13.50-15 IROKs on 15x8 Weld Stonecrushers, 160stat, aluminum rad, e-fan... <-- fail.

Registered

Go to the parts store and buy whatever they have. I buy the stuff at CarQuest by the gallon.

- Joe
    '94 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8, 121k miles, Ford 8.8 w/ POSI, NV242, headers, custom-built 3" stainless exhaust, Mopar Performance ECU, K&N FIPK, custom-built 4 wheel disc brakes, Flowkooler water pump
    Import Performance Transmissions custom 46RH trans and torque converter

I use ATF. P/S doesn't cut it in the cold.

Registered

-=- originally posted by nate379 -=-
    I use ATF. P/S doesn't cut it in the cold.
    Interestingly, it says not to use ATF in the PS...

BUT... they PS that was leaking from the unit looked ALOT like ATF.

Ok, thanks folks, I'll get some normal everyday PS fluid.

(I just wanted to make sure... as the Honda I've got says use only honda PS fuild. Was sure if the jeep was in the same boat!)

Registered

Check to see what colour the fluid is in the reservoir. Roll up a section of paper towel and dip it into the reservoir if it's too hard to tell.

If the fluid is gold or clear then it's probably just plain old power steering fluid. If it's red, they've probably used ATF+3 or ATF+4.

I personally flushed my old stuff, when doing a PS pump change, and re filled the entire system with ATF+4. That's what DC recommends now for all of their Jeep power steering units.

My $0.02.

-=- originally posted by jeepo -=-
    I personally flushed my old stuff, when doing a PS pump change, and re filled the entire system with ATF+4. That's what DC recommends now for all of their Jeep power steering units.

My $0.02.
    When did DC start making that recommendation? The '01 WJ FSM and the '03 KJ FSM both say do not use automatic transmission fluid.
    2001 WJ Limited, 4.7L, Quadra-Drive -- Kenne Bell Supercharger, Stillen Rotors with MM pads (F/R), Addcos (F/R), Kolak 3 inch exhaust with large case MagnaFlow, Rogue Chrome wheels, DRL activated, and Blaupunkt 3.5" dash speakers.

Registered

-=- originally posted by oldgeezer -=-
    When did DC start making that recommendation? The '01 WJ FSM and the '03 KJ FSM both say do not use automatic transmission fluid.
    My dip stick on the PS pump says the same things... as does the manual for the Jeep. (98 ZJ Laredo)

Registered

There was a notice pinned up at the dealer where I purchased the PS pump. It mentioned that from now on, any units replaced under warranty and installed by the dealer should be flushed and filled with ATF+4.

I was a little surprised myself. But when the techs there backed up that statement with excellent results, I figured what the hell and did so myself.

I've also since did the same to an old XJ and both units operate smooth without any ill effects.

So, whether or not it's gospel, I don't know. All I can tell you is what the dealer recommended to do.

So far it's been great.

Anyone else using ATF+4 for their power steering fluid?

Registered

I found this TSB on Dodge trucks. It sounds something like the Jeep notice I remember reading.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2001/19-007-01.htm

Registered

-=- originally posted by jeepo -=-
    There was a notice pinned up at the dealer where I purchased the PS pump. It mentioned that from now on, any units replaced under warranty and installed by the dealer should be flushed and filled with ATF+4.

I was a little surprised myself. But when the techs there backed up that statement with excellent results, I figured what the hell and did so myself.

I've also since did the same to an old XJ and both units operate smooth without any ill effects.

So, whether or not it's gospel, I don't know. All I can tell you is what the dealer recommended to do.

So far it's been great.

Anyone else using ATF+4 for their power steering fluid?
    Heh... well, I've got a Qt of the RedLine C+ left... soooooo....

By the way, the ATF+4 is not a synthetic product... it's a Group III based fluid, as opposed to PAO or an Ester.

However, it is MUCH cleaner and improved from the ATF+3 stuff... (and, of course, the 7176 or ATF+/+2 stuff).

Oh, and I called RedLine and spoke with Dave Grinquest (sp) about their C+ product.

He indicated that DC had been using it in Minnasota on some of the Dodge Trucks because in colder temps the PS fluid would turn so viscos (sp) that it was ripping the thread off the PS lines!

(The RedLine stuff didn't have that problem.)

Registered

I bought a couple of quarts of Valvoline Synpower synthetic power steering fluid a couple years ago when the K-mart in my area closed down and was clearing out the store.

The PS pump always whined a little since the ZJ was new. I complained about it right before the warranty ran out in June '99 and the dealer replaced the pump. The whining didn't go away after they changed it, but it never got any worse, either. Last year, I sucked all of the fluid from my reservoir and refilled with the Valvoline and the whine is 99% gone.
    Brian
    '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    '02 Mercedes-Benz SLK32 AMG
    '09 Chrysler 300 Touring
    '14 Toyota Highlander LE Plus

Registered

The pump and box will operate on pretty much any type of hydraulic fluid. Power steering fluid and ATF should both work just fine. As far as whining, make sure your P/S hoses are routed properly (esp the pressure line). If they touch anything or each other, they can produce a whining sound.

- Joe
    '94 Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8, 121k miles, Ford 8.8 w/ POSI, NV242, headers, custom-built 3" stainless exhaust, Mopar Performance ECU, K&N FIPK, custom-built 4 wheel disc brakes, Flowkooler water pump
    Import Performance Transmissions custom 46RH trans and torque converter