Thread: 32RH/ TF999 tranny breather extension.......

Question 32RH/ TF999 tranny breather extension.......

I am thinking about extending the breather on my 99 TJ's auto tranny. Anyone extend theirs? If so, what parts worked the best. I believe the breather is on top and I hope to get some kind of elbow fitting on there and extend it up to the engine compartment. Its hard to see the thing so I thought I would ask...

Thanks

Can't be done as the vent is a one piece cast in place type. Not enough room to drill it out and insert a fitting either, its to close to the torque converter. The entire vent needs to be plugged and relocated if you want to extend it - a spendy proposition unless you have the already have the tranny out for other work.

Registered

Robert speaks the truth. Got to pull the tranny to do it.........one of these days I'll be doing it
    00' TJ, auto, 30 tru-trac/ 9" detroit, 4.56, 37's

Registered

Yup tough luck. I did a search on the net once and found a few write ups where some people had added breather extensions to their TF727's.
    <><

Thats what I was afraid of. So do you guys just avoid deep water or flush the tranny after a crossing?

Thanks for the info

Scott

Registered

-=- originally posted by Svandell -=-
    Thats what I was afraid of. So do you guys just avoid deep water or flush the tranny after a crossing?

Thanks for the info

Scott

Try to stick with the former. The latter requires a good dose of luck to help things along.

Besides, there's little chance of a tranny flushing station on the other side of every deep water crossing!
    'o[]o
    ''(OIIIIIIO)'
    ''__o=o__'
    []=O[]

G/S...................................

Registered

What Robert said...

An expensive lesson learned after a water-induced tranny failure...
    2000 TJ Sport/auto/D44/trac-loc/3.73/X8000i/tomken mount/Skidrow steering skid/JEEPERMAN rear bumper & Skidz/RE 3.5SF/33x10.5x15 ATKOs/some aesthetic stuff...

!! War Eagle !!

Gun Control only Disarms Victims

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...hreadid=272759

Read this on exactly how to do it.

pretty straight forward. Now I just need to find time to pull the tranny...

Thanks for the link

I had mine relocated to the tailhousing when the tranny was out of the Jeep for a seal replacement. Never any problems there and its connected to a breather that is mounted up under the hood on the firewall about even with the air snorkel.

Stay out of the mud and don't do any swan dives into any creeks and you'll be fine without needing to relocate the vent. I've been in water up to my doorsills on the Rubicon with no problems before I had the mod done.

I roasted my 32rh (TF999) last year. Decided to replace it with an AW4 instead of rebuilding it. The cost turned out about the same, and my junkyard AW4 had less milage than my old TF999... Plus, the overdrive is GREAT on a daily driven Jeep.

Robert is right about the vent. The hole is right next to the torque converter. My AW4 has a vent hose already on it, I just need to go in and extend all my vent lines.

btw... What size tubing did y'all use to extend all the vent lines? Are they all the same (axles, tranny, t-case)?
    2001 TJ... 33's, AW4 conversion, Triangulated longarm, Electric OBA, Superwinch, homemade winch plate-bumpers-rockers-skidplates-etc...

1999 XJ Classic...
    1993 ZJ Laredo...

-=- originally posted by Robert J. Yates -=-
    I had mine relocated to the tailhousing when the tranny was out of the Jeep for a seal replacement. Never any problems there and its connected to a breather that is mounted up under the hood on the firewall about even with the air snorkel.

Stay out of the mud and don't do any swan dives into any creeks and you'll be fine without needing to relocate the vent. I've been in water up to my doorsills on the Rubicon with no problems before I had the mod done.
    Rubi has a different tranny, I thought it already had a vent tube.