Thread: to anyone with a 92' cherokee laredo

Registered

Question to anyone with a 92' cherokee laredo

hey, ive pretty much decided that this is my jeep of choice. for a little bit of research, what are common problems with this model and whats typical price for it? thanks

Registered

I paid $5000 for mine.. Although it was in awesome condition, and was driven by a 25 year old girl that never abused it. It has just about every option.

So far I've had no problems with it, and its gbot ~150,000 miles on it. The alarm was giving me a few problem, but thats because I got it wet in a river

Good luck finding one..

Phyte
    http://www.omegabyte.com - Business class server hosting and web development

http://www.onclickpix.com - Image hosting with many tools!

http://www.sitesfor.com - Websites for Auto Dealers

Registered

Cool

Two months ago we bought a '92 XJ Laredo, 2x4, leather, power windows, doors, seats, keyless entry, 84,500 miles, for $5,000. We immediately spent about $200 fixing the brakes. We bought it from a close friend (who told us about the brake problem beforehand).

The only problem I have is windshield wipers that go too far down and slam into the moulding on every swipe.

No major problems ever.

Registered

Thumbs up

Ditto that on the windshield wiper thing, I got my '92 two years ago with 92000 on th odometer, for $8500. I've had only minor problems, that weren't self inflicted, and it's got 123500 on it now. I believe the windshield wiper thing might be as simple as a bent stop or something, I only notice it when it's raining, and then forget about it promptly. I think I need a new A/C compressor, but thats a comfort thing not an esential. Out of the budget right now. Good luck, you'll find all the answers you need, to make repairs yourself right here on the forum.
    '92 xj, a few mods, 3" lift w/jks disco's, K & N, Taylor wires, etc.

Registered

thanks for all the help, but in all honesty, do you think i can get a good one for about $5000?

Woods Cross, UT---the Jeeper formerly known as UT91XJ96ZJ

I got my '91 HO with some oil leaks (ok everything leaked oil related) for $4K with 120K miles. I now has 145K and no leaks (well one little one that I'm still chasing).

I think you should be able to find one in the neighborhood that you're asking.

Registered

I have a 92 and have the same problem with the wipers. Does anyone know how that may be fixed, it drives me crazy when its raining. Mine go so far as to scratch the paint off my hood! Other than that my XJ is awsome, no problem as of yet and it has 115,000 on it.

------------------
    92 Jeep Cherokee Briarwood. Rusty's 3" lift, Matercraft 31x10.50x15 Mean Mudders, K&N Filter, soon to be a Rusty's air intake.
    92 Jeep Cherokee Briarwood. Rusty's 3" lift, Matercraft 31x10.50x15 MT's, modified air box, Rusty's adjustable trac-bar, flowmaster muffler, Rusty's tow hook kit and 5" Pro Comp fog lights.
    IFWDA- member
    Fat Boys Jeepers- member

Registered

Take the wipes out from the motor and re-center them. There probably installed wrong.
    1992 Jeep Cherokee RE 5.5 Extreme Duty, 33s, etc.

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6mt diamond graphite

NAXJA Member #404 Sierra Chapter

AIM: bkchang79

Registered

I have a 1992 Laredo 4x4 that I bought from parents (original owners) - Ha! they never even had it on anything more than dirty pavement. Anyway, about 80,000 miles the from harmonic balancer went bad and was replaced (went cheap and got a used OEM replacement), at about 100,000 miles the rear pinion seal was leaking. Somewhere in there the valve cover leaked. Never had any problems with the wipers. When I got it, the fog lights had water stuck on the inside of the fog lights and they became one rusted piece (replaced with Hella 550's) - I like the round lights better than the square ones. OEM headlights are not very good quality. In all, this is THE most trouble free vehicle that I have ever owned. For '92 I believe that there was a recall to put in the shift lock if you wanted (have to step on the brake in order to shift out of park) - I bright enough not to need that.
    John S, Lancaster CA

Thumbs up

Good choice on a Jeep! 92 Laredo is a great choice. I had a 89 Laredo and loved it. I liked my 92 LTD even better!

I had the windsheild wiper problem also on my 92. Took the paint off onder the windsheild because it would go down so far! I know on my 96 XJ the wiper arm is different. Has a different angle. Maybe go with a 96+ wiper arm.

------------------
    98 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0
    Deep Slate
    Selec Trac
    Mopar Tow Hooks
    30x9.50 BFG AT KO

PRIOR JEEP RESUME
    96 ZJ Lemon Lawed
    96 XJ/92 XJ/89 XJ/85 XJ
    2012 WK2 Laredo X. Off Road Adventure 2 4x4

Icon911 1992 Rear Pinion Seal Leaking

Hello I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with 228,000 Mile's and the Rear Pinion Seal is Leaking would anyone have any suggestions on how to stop the leak? Right now I'm keeping the rear full of 90 weight Gear Oil to avoid problems,other then that she has been a awesome vehicle Faithful and dependable.
    Last edited by Blackwinds; 09-25-2010 at 02:36 PM. Reason: word mispelled

Buying an 18 year old vehicle is always a gamble and you can expect problems just about anywhere. How many and how severe they are will depend on how well the previous owner maintained it.
    Leaking gaskets and seals will be common and the only cure is to replace them.
    I've had my '92 Laredo for 15 years and it's been by far the most reliable, and dependable, vehicle I've ever owned. The key is to keep up with the maintenance and don't spare any expense in doing so.

1992 XJ 4.6L "Poor Man's" Stroker
    202rwhp @ 4700rpm (248bhp)
    258rwtq @ 3400rpm (311lbft)
    1/4 mile: 14.63 @ 94.4, 3450lb curb
    AX15, NP231, D30/D35
    Jeep Performance, Jeep Tech, Junker to Stroker

Registered

Icon924

I picked up my 92 Laredo 4X4 with 191,000 on it 10 years ago this month.small private dealer wanted 2500.00 I gave 1800.00.has 252,000 on it today.needs rear main seal replaced.I had to replace the AW4 auto tranny with a used unit I gave 75.00.replaced by me and my son in 06.still works great today.

The radiator collapsed internally and let all the antifreeze go in the tranny and all the tranny fluid to go into the cooling system.what a mess.plugged the radiator where the tranny lines went and been running the same radiator since,and put a aftermarket tranny cooler in it's place.

It's in need of a O2 sensor now,but can't get the old one out,prolly needs a garage torch to get it red hot.Can ride around all day long,but if I floor it,It will buck,hesitate,has major power loss.read the O2 sensor reads to the puter how much fuel the engine calls for.I currently have the O2 unplugged,sensor is busted.puter is just guessing the amount of fuel my engine is calling for.

Had the wiper problem too,heard it was plastic Bushings that I needed.I removed my splined wiper arms,and readjusted the wipers UP one or two spines.now they go to the bottom of the windshield without smacking the chrome windshield molding.

When I got my 92,the previous owner had the R-12 converted to 134A.been blowing cool since.Hot days in Tn.it could be a bit cooler.could prolly use some 134A.

I had only one other car that lasted me 10 years,that was a 85' Ford Ltd midsize wagon.that car had 63,000 on it and was 2300.00.was 4 or 5 years old when i got it.sold it 10 years later with 150 some thousand on it.needed a torque converter after a tranny change,just gave up on it,should have replaced the TQ with the tranny.

would buy another jeep if they were better on fuel.
    Sorry for the long post...
    92 XJ Laredo Just turned 257,000

Registered

Default Fixing '92 Wipers

Everyone in this thread whose wipers act funny:

It's your wiper bushings.

I had the same problem for years. They sell a pack HELP! brand wiper bushings at most parts stores that say they fit 93+ XJs. (http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-49447-W.../dp/B000IWFPIW) I figured they didn't work but I finally took the plunge and it solved my problem. I really wish they would fix the packaging.

There are some write-up on fixing this but it's pretty simple.
    • Take the wipers off: There are metal clips that hold them on the spindles. These clips do not come all the way off, just pull them out a bit and the wiper comes off.
    • Take off the body piece that covers the wiper motor: It's held on by a few phillips head screws.
    • Take out the wiper motor assembly: This can be tricky because the opening for that cavity isn't very wide, but you'll figure it out.
    • Take off ALL of the old bushings and put the new ones on: You might need to use a pair of pliers to put the assembly back together because it'll be a snug fit.
    • Put everything back together and enjoy your working wipers.

The bushing kit comes with more bushings than you need. You'll use the three on the top left in that picture on Amazon.
    Fact super!