Thread: My Jeep is making funny squeaking noises

Registered

Unhappy My Jeep is making funny squeaking noises

Hi everyone, I am new here, first post, I was wandering if anyone has run into this with there jeeps........I have a 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9 V8 quadra trac...

It makes a squeaking noise, like a loose belt noise, but it is also speed related, because it slows down when I slow down, gets faster as I speed up and doesn't do it when I am stopped, OR when I put it in nuetral when I am moving........is it maybe something with the tranny? the transfer case? or maybe just a belt? I noticed a while back that the power streering pulley was making a simular noise when it was idling, but that stopped......

any ideas would be great thanks for you time...I hate to sound like a total idiot...but what are the different letters WJ, ZJ? that you guys have up here, and how do I know what mine is? be gentle I did say i was new....thanks again

ZJ = 93-98
    WJ = 99-04

They did not make a 5.9 LTD in 1996 like you claim you have. 1998 only.
    2012 WK2 Laredo X. Off Road Adventure 2 4x4

Registered

I'm sure those far more educated than me will give you better info but the ZJ stands for the Grand Cherokees that were made from 1993 to 1998 and the WJ stands for the current body style. You might hear of WK which is the next (2005) installment of the GC.

If you have a 5.9 limited then you have a 1998 as they were only made that year.

About the squeak: Does it make the sound at higher RPM's (ie when the engine is up to rev, like while driving) or does it only happen when the car is up to speed. This will help you determine if it is from the engine or body.

Try reving the engine to about 2500-3000 RPM's while sitting still and see if you can hear the squeak.
    5.9 limited > FIPK, ML Headers
    93' Grand Wagoneer

First thought is tranny related. Does it do it only when the engine is under load? How does your s-belt keep tensioned? I am not sure if the 5.9 has a spring loaded tensioned or not. My 98 4.0 I6 has the mechanically adjusted tensioner.

You mentioned that it will do it only while moving but not in neutral. I am assuming that you have taken your foot off the gas at this point. Romp the gas while in neutral and see if it still squeels. If this is the case then it is probably your engine telling you that the belt is worn out and ready to break.

Look at your s-belt for signs of old age. General rule of thumb is 60K start thinking of replacing it. Check the ribs for cracks. The ribs will crack with age and the belt will stretch with age. If you have any cracks that go all the way across the belt then it is time to change it. Some spring loaded tensioners have stretch indicators scribed in to them. The belt could have stretched to the point that the spring is completely relaxed and this would allow the belt to slip and squeel.
    Life happens, then you go running

Registered

Icon316

Yes you are correct, I was wrong in saying that I had a 5.9, my bad, it is a 5.2.......(maybe I am trying to overcompensate for something) just kidding.......

But to answer the other questions.......
    it only does it when it is moving, I did crawl under and did notice a little bit of fluid leaking from where the driveshaft meets the transfercase .....hmmmm could it possibly be the seal there? I thought maybe the fluid in the transfer case might be low.

and the noise is coming from the middle of the vehicle, not near the engine compartment.......still not sure........if anyone has any other thoughts, give a hollar

and thanks for the info about the ZJ/WJ

Washburn Ashland Bayfield WI > Appleton WI.....that is all...

-T
    slate 5.9 Limited, 8" long arm, 285's, 8.8-Artec truss, 231/SYE w/Novak, straight piped, Durango 160A alt, Optima Red, ZG markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, Vortech supercharger & 5 speed swap awaiting to be installed

Stone white 5.9 on 30" AT's, 231, glass ECE's w/custom harness, clear corners, tinted, u jointed shafts

forgot tew add that it could possibly be teh double cardan joint on the front drive shaft......since it only squeaks when moving.....right?
    slate 5.9 Limited, 8" long arm, 285's, 8.8-Artec truss, 231/SYE w/Novak, straight piped, Durango 160A alt, Optima Red, ZG markers, front park light & turn mod, quad tails, Boston Acoustic/JL's, in dash flip up DVD, black windows, Vortech supercharger & 5 speed swap awaiting to be installed

Stone white 5.9 on 30" AT's, 231, glass ECE's w/custom harness, clear corners, tinted, u jointed shafts

Registered

-=- originally posted by Taz -=-
    forgot tew add that it could possibly be teh double cardan joint on the front drive shaft......since it only squeaks when moving.....right?
    Just diagnosed that exactly in my aunt's xj. To make sure, I put it in PT high (you would need to do 4 low) and made tight turns to see if the joint would make any more noise under stress. Turns out the style of joint she has needs to be replaced as a complete unit...$500 from steelership. Since you have a 96, and I would assume NV249 (full time t-case), you could remove the front ds and see if the sound goes away.
    2003 Ram CTD Quad Cab - 320k miles and counting

Always looking for another toy
    Former Jeeps:
    98 ZJ Limited, 5.2
    89 XJ Laredo
    79 CJ7
    78 CJ7