Thread: Oil Level Sensor Function?

Registered

Default Oil Level Sensor Function?

Hi Gang-

I think the oil level sensor on my '93 ZJ I-6 has bit the dust. The VIC said "Check Oil" ; was a bit low so I had about 1/3 qt and added it. Still said check oil, so I put in another 1/2 quart without checking again. Worked fine for about 2 starts/ 25 miles then set the check oil again. However oil is now chucker-box full, slightly above safe on the dipstick.

How do I test level sensor on the pan electrically? Also, If I need to remove it, is the static oil level above it or below it? In other words, should I wait for the next oil change to avoid a big mess?

Thanks in Advance for the Help,

D.J.
    '93 ZJ 4.0L Laredo, Stock &
    '02 WJ 4.0L Limited, Stock

Registered

Default Re: Oil Level Sensor Function?

-=- originally posted by DoubleJeepers -=-
    Hi Gang-

I think the oil level sensor on my '93 ZJ I-6 has bit the dust. The VIC said "Check Oil"
    How do I test level sensor on the pan electrically? Also, If I need to remove it, is the static oil level above it or below it?
    D.J.
    DJ, It's actuallly an oil pressure sensor, not an oil level sensor. The sensor is in the block , so it will only register pressure when the engine is running.

David
    :hammers: :hammers:

Registered

Default Re: Re: Oil Level Sensor Function?

-=- originally posted by David Luckadoo -=-
    DJ, It's actuallly an oil pressure sensor, not an oil level sensor. The sensor is in the block , so it will only register pressure when the engine is running.

David
    Uhhh No, I mean the level sensor on the pan, not the pressure sensor on the oil filter housing. The former registers a red square on the engine picture of the VIC alternating with "Check Oil Level" and is normally indicative of low engine oil and cured by adding same. That function seems to be no longer working!

I'm thinking it must be switch of some sort : either NC or NO. Suppose I could short it out and see if the fault resets; which would mean Open=low, closed=full. However, be nice to know from other experience!

D.J.

Registered

You could also drain all of the oil and see what happens.

David
    :hammers: :hammers:

you got a purdy mouth goodolboy71's Avatar

Doubles......had the same thing happen on my 93 a yr or so ago. The sensor goes out and to make sure its the sensor read the owners manual and it tells of a way to do s VIC test that test some of the sensors....cant remember how u do it at the moment, but it will go through all the sensors that input into the VIC and check them out or something, when i did it it flashed BAD OIL LEVEL SENSOR or something. 2 ways to fix it....one get a new sensor from napa online, like 50 or so bux i think. drain ur oil nuscrew the other one outta the pan and screw the new one in.....JUST MAKE SURE THE OLD ONE LOOKS LIKE THE NEW ONE.... i checked just for the hell of it and my old one looked different, the end piece and float wasnt on it, so i dropped the pan and there they were sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. The other way is there was a post a while back about a guy that went to radio shack and bout alot of resisters and added them inline till he got it too fool the VIC to quit annoyin him. hope this helps
    93 ZJ, 4.0,242,Custom 6" LA's,ARB,Warn XD 9000, home depot roof rack, 8.8 w/ eaton e locker,JCR Rock Rails, d30 ox locker,315 BFG KM2's, and lightforce 170's for some night bling...
    96 ZJ Orvis, V8,Stock.
    74 CJ5- 304, frame off restoration

Registered

-=- originally posted by goodolboy71 -=-
    Doubles......had the same thing happen on my 93 a yr or so ago. The sensor goes out and to make sure its the sensor read the owners manual and it tells of a way to do s VIC test that test some of the sensors....cant remember how u do it at the moment, but it will go through all the sensors that input into the VIC and check them out or something, when i did it it flashed BAD OIL LEVEL SENSOR or something. 2 ways to fix it....one get a new sensor from napa online, like 50 or so bux i think. drain ur oil nuscrew the other one outta the pan and screw the new one in.....JUST MAKE SURE THE OLD ONE LOOKS LIKE THE NEW ONE.... i checked just for the hell of it and my old one looked different, the end piece and float wasnt on it, so i dropped the pan and there they were sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. The other way is there was a post a while back about a guy that went to radio shack and bout alot of resisters and added them inline till he got it too fool the VIC to quit annoyin him. hope this helps
    Ahh yes, check for missing pieces which must be somewhere! Did not even think to check the owners manual for how to interrogate the VIC powered sensors, but will do.

Thanks Much for the TIP!

D.J.

Registered

I have the same problem. I posted a while back and was getting the same kind of info as you are. I just want to know what type of resistor this someone used to fool the VIC. Grounding it out does not work. Anyone other with info would be great!

Registered

Hey Gang-

I'm reviving my own thread some 5 years later! Still have this rig, 195k miles now burns oil like mad and the replaced oil level sensor doesn't register anything! I thought it must have been working when first installed because the vic message went out, but clearly it doesn't register anything.

Upon inspecting the new one, the only difference between the new and old was the foam cylinder loosely attached to the end of a 6 inch stalk of the new one. I presumed it was some kind of float but the stalk was solidly attached and not able to be deflected by a tiny float. The 2 electrical pins read open and weren't effected by manually deflecting the stalk. So no kidding, does anyone know how this thing is supposed to work? I mean if this was an airplane part, I'd say deflected strain gages but I doubt car parts are that sophisticated.

Thanks,

D.J.

Registered

Shameless BTT : Anyone know how the oil level sensor works on a ZJ?

Thanks,

DJ

Haha cash for clunkers time!

Don't know exactly what kind of signal it sends or what the resistance is. I just replaced my level sensor last week when I replaced the oil pan gasket. If I get a chance this weekend I will crawl under there and see if I can get some sort of a reading off of it.
    1993 Grand Cherokee 4.0, Flowmaster 40 series, 3.5" IRO lift, 3/4" rear spacers, adjustable double shear trac bar, Rustys Offroad Discos, 15x8 Cragar Soft 8's, 31x10.50-15 Treadwright MT's, lock right in rear, np231

*NP249 FOR SALE $60, COME AND GET IT*

Registered

Icon322 Anniversary BTT

Nothing like a 5 year nagging nuisance problem. "New" oil level sensors never has registered low even though she burns plenty now. Anybody currently watching this Group know how the oil level sensor is supposed to work?

Thanks,

D.J.