Thread: OME made by Monroe - or who makes what shock...

Registered

Default OME made by Monroe - or who makes what shock...

Boah,

that caught your attention, right ? ;-)

Given that shock production is only economical in large quantities I was curious who the players are. Here's what I found so far, going by major manufacturers :

Tenneco Automotive - possibly the largest manufacturer.
    Owns Monroe and Rancho.
    OME shocks are made by 'the only shock manufacturer in Australia' (quote from ARBUSA website). Googling around it turned out to be Tenneco/Monroe.
    Monroe is also private brands Explorer Procomp, possibly BDS, and likely many more - if you know chime in !
    BTW Monroe USA cranks out 64000 shocks a day.. yes, day !

Arvin Meritor - Gabriel brand, no info on private brands.

Tokico - has production in US, mostly for OEM. Claims no private brand in the US.

Doetsch - used by RE, others ?

Edelbrock - private brands ?

Sachs - does OEM for Jeep.

Koni - no presence in 4x4 market ?

Purpose of this whole excercise is to tell fact from fiction when it comes to shocks bundled with lift kits. Ideally we kick off an informative thread and end up with a 'Who makes who's' list. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Tenneco most of the time...

Cheers,
    C>

Registered

Now, just because Monroe makes OME or any brand for that matter, does not neccesarily mean that there is a monroe or store brand shock available that is the same thing, although I'm sure it IS possible. If there are, and someone got their hands on the cross reference chart there could be an uprising in the shock industry..hehe

-Jer
    1999 TJ Sahara (5 Speed!) FOR SALE pretty much stock again. >>Pics<<
    1981 CJ7 - R.I.P. -
    From Long Island? click here.

Registered

Totally agree,

everybody likes their OME shocks, and certainly there's nothing wrong with them being made by a large manufacturer. Given that they are fairly expensive they are likely special made to OMEs specs.

C>

Registered

Most aftermarket parts are that way. Monroe doesn't make OME, nor probably don't have anything to do with OME.

Tenneco Automotive is a huge corporation that owns lots and lots of smaller companies. Rancho, Monroe, Dynomax, Walker, ect. They are all seperate companies making their own product, but it is distributed by Tenneco. Walker manufacturing in my hometown was "Walkers Manufacturing" for about 25 years before Tenneco came along. Same plant, same products, just sold by "Tenneco Automotive" The plant is now called "Tenneco Automotive/Walkers"

Samething with Federal-Mogul. Its a big company that owns several smaller companies like Anco, Carter Fuel Pumps, Champion, FelPro, Moog, National Seals, BCA Bearings, Precision, Sealed Power, Wagner Brake, and Wagner Lighting.

Each of these are manufactered and managed by their own company, but are ultimetly owned by Federal Mogul.

So in short, Monroe has nothing to do with OME.
    Dead - 2003 Rubi - 4.5" SuperFlex, 35's, ect, ect....

A Web Site for All Your Jeep Picture Needs

Registered
    san francisco,ca,usa, www.jeepersandcreepers.com

Shocks maybe owned by one big corporation but I doubt the brand X shocks would come close to the OME shocks.

The big difference between the OME shocks versus the brand X shocks is the valving. OME shocks are valved for each vehicle and it designed to work with the OME springs and the type of situations your Jeep may encounter. Most of the other shocks is just a shock that will fit in a Jeep, or Ford or Chevy and the valving is generic setting, that is why there are a lot of very happy OME shock owners. The OME shocks also offer a lot of heavy duty features like thicker wall tubes and a very thick piston rod for off road abuse. OME has taken a lot of effort to make their shock vehicle specific with off roading in mind and not a universal shock that fits a large application of vehicles.

So to call an OME shock a Monroe is to call a Corvette another Geo.

Default Re: OME made by Monroe - or who makes what shock...

-=- originally posted by csuder99 -=-
    Boah,

that caught your attention, right ? ;-)

Given that shock production is only economical in large quantities I was curious who the players are. Here's what I found so far, going by major manufacturers :

Tenneco Automotive - possibly the largest manufacturer.
    Owns Monroe and Rancho.
    OME shocks are made by 'the only shock manufacturer in Australia' (quote from ARBUSA website). Googling around it turned out to be Tenneco/Monroe.
    Monroe is also private brands Explorer Procomp, possibly BDS, and likely many more - if you know chime in !
    BTW Monroe USA cranks out 64000 shocks a day.. yes, day !

Arvin Meritor - Gabriel brand, no info on private brands.

Tokico - has production in US, mostly for OEM. Claims no private brand in the US.

Doetsch - used by RE, others ?

Edelbrock - private brands ?

Sachs - does OEM for Jeep.

Koni - no presence in 4x4 market ?

Purpose of this whole excercise is to tell fact from fiction when it comes to shocks bundled with lift kits. Ideally we kick off an informative thread and end up with a 'Who makes who's' list. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Tenneco most of the time...

Cheers,
    C>
    I met Doetsch a couple times when he was working out of a storage unit in el cajon/lakeside back int eh 80's. all he was doing was revalving shocks but I don't remember of which manufacturer. seriously. he was a 'kid' working out of a storage unit/shop 'building' custom valved shocks. nice start to a succesfull business if you ask me.

rancho? they used to offer a RS7000 3 way adjustable shock that was a rebadged Monroe 3 way adjustable shock. it was a nice shock, but you had to take it off to adjust it by turning the shaft. very well built shock though and it was STOUT.

if OME's are made by somebody else, (probably are) they are probably built to their specs.

I remember years ago going over the tire manufacturing thing... different times various brands were/are made in the same factory.
    "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike."
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Registered

-=- originally posted by csabatka1 -=-
    Most aftermarket parts are that way. Monroe doesn't make OME, nor probably don't have anything to do with OME.

Tenneco Automotive is a huge corporation that owns lots and lots of smaller companies. Rancho, Monroe, Dynomax, Walker, ect. They are all seperate companies making their own product, but it is distributed by Tenneco. Walker manufacturing in my hometown was "Walkers Manufacturing" for about 25 years before Tenneco came along. Same plant, same products, just sold by "Tenneco Automotive" The plant is now called "Tenneco Automotive/Walkers"

Samething with Federal-Mogul. Its a big company that owns several smaller companies like Anco, Carter Fuel Pumps, Champion, FelPro, Moog, National Seals, BCA Bearings, Precision, Sealed Power, Wagner Brake, and Wagner Lighting.

Each of these are manufactered and managed by their own company, but are ultimetly owned by Federal Mogul.

Ever see the movie "Tommy Boy"

Registered

-=- originally posted by csabatka1 -=-
    Monroe doesn't make OME, nor probably don't have anything to do with OME.

[ snip ]

http://www.4x4wire.com/mitsubishi/reviews/ome/

C>

Registered

I had read years ago where OME stated that they DO but some of the tube assemblys from outside sources such as Monroe. OME does all of the assembly