Thread: HELP! QUICK! How do I siphon gas out of my tank??

Default HELP! QUICK! How do I siphon gas out of my tank??

Insurance company is coming to tow away my XJ tomarrow morning. I just filled up with 30 bucks worth of premium before that ditch ran out in front of me. I'm trying to siphon the gas out of my tank, when I stick the tube attached to my pump down the fill hole...it stops about 8 inches in. Anybody know why/what I can do about it!?

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!

Registered

I can't remember what year XJ you have, but if it is a 97+, I am pretty sure there is something in the tank to prevent siphoning. If they are totalling your XJ, just drill a hole in the bottom of the tank and be sure the receiving tank is grounded. (huh? Did I say that?) How much did you pay for your siphon pump?

You could also either pull the pump and siphon from there or pull the filler hose off the tank and siphon from there.
    85 CJ7 258, 105000 miles and counting, motorcraft 2100 and TFI upgrade nuttered, I think it may have a small spring lift but not real sure, 31" tires and 1-piece rear axles.

Registered

disconnect the filler hose from the gas tank neck(the place were you put the gas pump nozzle in to pump gas).
    I think is only a phillips screw clamp holdin both together.Then suck away

Alright, I tryed a smaller hose, and sprayed some WD-40 on it, slid right down. After about 5 strokes with the pump it started leaking in like 4 places.... Now it's out there just flowing by gravity...AGONIZINGLY slow....

Don't forget to take your battery and anything else you deem...um...valuable.
    94 XJ Country NP231 AW4, 145k miles
    Cooper Discoverer ST/AR767, front towhook, PIAA 40's and Hidden Hitch. 1.5" budget boost 10/08

-=- originally posted by Chris in VA -=-
    Don't forget to take your battery and anything else you deem...um...valuable.

You mean the stereo, battery, 2/0 battery cables, spare tire, new cluster with tach, and electric fan?

Heh...yup. Just leave the obvious stuff like the cluster. You know...some insurance companies give you the option to 'buy back' your wrecked car. State Farm totaled my old Audi after a hailstorm, and I kept it plus got $2400. Otherwise they would have taken it for $2700.

The dents eventually worked themselves out...

94 XJ Country NP231 AW4, 145k miles
    Cooper Discoverer ST/AR767, front towhook, PIAA 40's and Hidden Hitch. 1.5" budget boost 10/08

Yeah, I put the old cluster with the giant fuel gauge and cracked plastic cover back in. I want to buy it back if the price is low enough...would be pretty cool with a tube frame. Although I really don't have any place to put it...:teary:

Registered

Why bother siphoning?................I woulda just knocked a hole in the bottom of the tank and let it drain that way

SUPPORT YER LOCAL BASTARD

-=- originally posted by LAWLESS -=-
    Why bother siphoning?................I woulda just knocked a hole in the bottom of the tank and let it drain that way
    Just in case I decide to buy it back I want to fix as few of things as possible. Also I thought this would be relatively easy, with this damn pump I bought. Now there's a good 3 gallons on my driveway and another gallon on my clothes. Anybody know how to get the smell of gas off of you?

I gaurentee this is the easiest way to pump out your gas tank (though you're fuel pump has to still work).

Get one of those little schrader valve removal tools (for pulling tire valve core stems), they're only like $1.50 at the parts store.

There's a Scrader valve on your fuel rail (under a metal cap).
    You need to release any residual presure first. Push the valve in, and get some more gas on you (You can put an absorbant rag around it, as you push).
    Then pull the valve with the tool (very easy).

Stick a hose over the shrader valve (I forget what size I used, maybe 1/2", or 3/8"). Mine fit tightly over the valve, clamp yours if it seems loose.

The last step involves jumping 1 electric wire, so go wash any gas off your hands now (yep, it catches fire really really fast).

Now just run a positive wire over to the ballast resistor on the drivers side inside fender (from the battery, etc, I used a battery charger, and grounded the other side).

The ballast resistor is the white ceramic thing, with two electrical connections on it. Connecting 12v positive to either side will run the pump. (I pulled the non-pump wire off, just to keep from backfeeding the ignition, but I don't think it even matters).

Once you connect 12v to the ballast resistor, fuel will start pumping out of the hose.
    Since you're messing with electricity (& potentially sparks), it would be best to have someone else hold the gas can, while you jump the wire.
    I also wouldn't handle gas indoors, so if it's in a garage, it would be a good idea to roll it outside (ignitable fumes gather indoors).

I know I made this sound complicated, but it's really very simple. I just wouldn't want you to have a fire on your hands (literally), while you do this.

I drained my tank in maybe 10 minutes when I did it.

You can't be too careful around gas, I had caught fire in a split second testing an electric fuel pump once. It was a good lesson for me to learn.

For the lawers: If you don't understand any part of this, don't do it.