Thread: how long will a leaking water pump last?

Default how long will a leaking water pump last?

will it last through the winter?

Registered

The answer of course is it depends...

The pump on my XJ started leaking one Saturday and by Monday it
    was barely able to make it 10 miles to my favorite shop.

Prior to that Saturday I had not had any warning.

Personally, I would do something about it now - when you have time to choose who works on it and what part you want to buy to replace it.

Registered

I agree with Steve, it depends, although the chances are pretty low that it will make it through the winter.

I've been through two in my ZJ and they both lasted about 200-300 miles after I started seeing a puddle on the ground.

You might be able to prolong the inevitible by losening the radiator cap. This is on old trick to help you limp home when you get a leak in your cooling system. It depressurizes the cooling system and most leaks turn into very slow drips or even stop leaking completely. However, it also lowers the boiling point of your coolant which can cause overheating and coolant loss through evaporation. It's less of a problem in the winter, but not something you really want to do for a long time. You'll have to keep a close eye on the engine temperature while you're driving and and check the coolant level in the radiator (not the overflow bottle) before each time you get in to drive it.
    Brian
    '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
    '02 Mercedes-Benz SLK32 AMG
    '09 Chrysler 300 Touring
    '14 Toyota Highlander LE Plus

damn thing has been periodically leaking for about 1000 miles now. i'm a cheapass so i'll probably leave it go till it blows...

********* of *********s

I had one that leaked and groaned on my 4.0 for about 4 months before it finally gave up. I had to add about a gallon of water before I left for work and another gallon before I went back home each day.

BTW, at the time I was driving 100 miles round trip, 5-6 days a week.

Registered

That has to be the dumbest question I've ever seen on a board...just how much money are you planning on 'saving'? When it loses all the water on the road some day and by the time you notice the engine has overheated, it'll only be a few months and you'll be pouring oil in the engine as fast you're doing water now, because the rings went bad.

I can't believe that's a serious post.

Reminds me of a neighbor who saved the cost of a starter...push started down the hill every day, until he tripped when jumping in and the car rolled down the hill and hit a visiting corvette. That was funny.

********* of *********s

-=- originally posted by beenthere -=-
    That has to be the dumbest question I've ever seen on a board...just how much money are you planning on 'saving'? When it loses all the water on the road some day and by the time you notice the engine has overheated, it'll only be a few months and you'll be pouring oil in the engine as fast you're doing water now, because the rings went bad.

I can't believe that's a serious post.

Reminds me of a neighbor who saved the cost of a starter...push started down the hill every day, until he tripped when jumping in and the car rolled down the hill and hit a visiting corvette. That was funny.
    Hey cock face, who are you talking about?

Registered

Sorry to upset you..we should only post helpful answers. The answer is that is depends on where it's leaking (from the gasket, the weep hole, the shaft, a crack in the casing, other), the tension on the fan belt, the fluid in the cooling system, average running temperature, outside temperature, engine speed, acceleration rate, type of fan, hidden flaws or manufacturing defects, and how long it's actually been leaking.

I've seen them last 2 days to a year from the time it was first 'noticed'. If you park it, it'll last a long time. If it's a bad seal, and the bearing stays good, it can last a long time. Just watch the shaft and see how much it wobbles, or push it with your hand when it's stopped. More wobble or more noise, shorter life span, generally speaking. Just keep adding water until something breaks.

Good luck.

Registered

Icon316

Save yourself a big headache and replace it NOW! There are quite enough unknowns to worry about and failure to repair a KNOWN problem is just asking for trouble!
    Totally Stock 98 ZJ 2WD
    Stone White,Moon Roof
    Dunlop Radial Rover 255/70R15 tires
    Chrome plated valve stem caps
    Mobil1 10W-30 M1-301 Oil Filter
    Zerex G-05 Anti-Freeze
    _ _____________________ _
    79 Toyota SR5 Pickup

Registered

if you do wait....just make sure that you always have coolant in it..... you really dont want to crack a head, just beacause you want to save money on the water pump.....i would replace it asap
    just my 2 cents
    *FOR SALE*
    96 Olive Green ZJ, lift, tires, lots of other stuff too...

mine started squeeking about 3 weeks prior to failure. Replaced with gatorback, squeeking went away for a lil bit... came back. drove about two weeks or so after it came back, and it started leaking a bit.
    then bam, i woke up and the jeep had puked coolant all over the ground. called up Kolak got me a flowkooler. Worth the money IMO...definitely lowered my temps. All i need is a big upgraded radiator and i'll be set and probably even put a 190 thermo in w/out having to worry about hitting 210.

it only hits 210 in HEAVY sacramento traffic in 95-100+ degree weather, 9th worst in the nation, so you know how bad it is, and at that it never went over 210 even with A/C on full blast. i have the 180 in right now.
    98 5.9 Limited (my 2nd 5.9 and 3rd ZJ)
    Ice cream paint job
    Rear view mirror, Jumbo dice! Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice.