Thread: Snow Shifting

Registered

Icon312 Snow Shifting

97 Jeep TJ 4 banger..Been going through a lot of snow lately. Just wondering if too much snow gets bunched up under the jeep would it cause the transmission not to shift.(Manual tranny) Driving down the road tonight jeep shifted into 4th and then not into fifth.. Then it would not shift at all. The tranny is full of fluid. I am going to look under it tomorrow and hopefully it will be simply a bunch of snow and ice in between the skid and the tranny..
    Thanks all for the input
    Red 01 TJ Sprt, RE 2" BB, (5) 33" MTRS, Hella 500's Windshield mounted,flowmaster 40 series catback, dana 44 rear, 35 up front.. More to come

Registered

No external shift linkage, don't see how it would affect the transmission. Let us know what you find.
    97 2.5 liter TJ,5spd, BFG 33x10.50s,4.88's, 3" lift ,Super35 with Detroit locker,Dana 30 with Aussie locker up front, Warn HS9500i winch with in cab controller, ,on board air,custom airtank rockrails, custom cage,,tow hooks
    highlift, jackmate, hand throttle, GPS,Ameraguard lining,Warn gas tank skid, custom engine skid laptop navigation, homemade ready brake and numerous other survival items. 50+ years Jeeping and still loving it. Don't need to prove anything, I just want to go where others haven't and get back safely.

Registered

it all most seems like the clutch is not fully engaging therefore the shifter will not do its job. Im puzzled.. its always been fine until this fawking snow!
    Red 01 TJ Sprt, RE 2" BB, (5) 33" MTRS, Hella 500's Windshield mounted,flowmaster 40 series catback, dana 44 rear, 35 up front.. More to come

My wifes YJ does it all the time, it is cause from snow bunching up
    under the engine and binding the shifter just enough that it will got into all gears but 5th, just clean all the snow out and that should fix it.
    Something that helps is a 1"MML That makes a world of diffrence.
    Or poly MM so it cant shift the engine like the rubber MM do
    What did I break?
    Oh crap!!!!
    When did I put that on???

Registered

I cleaned the snow out from under the vehicle.. Really wasn't much there. Still doing the same thing. Now it will not shift into any gears with the motor running. I was thinking a throw out bearing. Could it be possible that i got some air in the hydralic (Sp) line? I think there is a bleeder on the side of the transmission?! Will give that a try tomorrow morning. Any other ideas

Registered

Could be a few things.

1. Clutch Master & Slave Cylinders arn't working. http://www.tellico4x4.com/clutch/cylinder.htm

2. Could be you Clutch is shot: http://dialaclutch.com/

3. Master Cylinder oil level... Never hurts. Should be sealed....

4. Syncros???? Dunno about that.

5. Something is bad with the Tranny, doubt that too.
    Jay Norris
    MarylandCreepers.com
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
    -- Albert Einstein

Had the same prob w/ my 97 TJ between 65k and 75k....it was the slave cylinder. Easily spotted where it was wet. Picked up a new one from DC...all of a 15 minute swap.

Could be any of the above mentioned things as well, but sounds like master or slave to me.

BTW..mileage? ever put a clutch in it yet?
    01 XJ

-=- originally posted by WhiteTj118 -=-
    it all most seems like the clutch is not fully engaging therefore the shifter will not do its job. Im puzzled.. its always been fine until this fawking snow!
    Well, there is your answer. Either your clutch is bad or you need to adjust your clutch linkage.

Registered

On a 97 2.5L TJ there is no clutch linkage to adjust - well other than adding fluid. The Master and Slave cylinder (one unit) do everything. If it's leaking or not operating you'll need a new one because its a nonserviceable part. They are an easy install... In fact the ones from DC are filled with fluid, so all you'll have to do is install it.
    Jay Norris
    MarylandCreepers.com
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
    -- Albert Einstein

Registered

My Mileage is 54000 and I have never done anything with the clutch. How do you adjust the clutch linkage. I got into the jeep tonight and I could put the clutch pedal through the floor.. Its really soft. I'll have a better idea tomorrow once i check the slave and master cylinder, and also the fluid level in the tranny itself...
    Thanks guys for the input.. Will let you know how everything turned out. Anymore input is always helpful
    Rob

Registered

As was said, and just to confirm... there is NO clutch linkage. There is a master cylinder, a plastic clutch line, and slave cylinder. From the sound of it you probably have lost fluid, thereby indicating a leak most likely. I had to buy and entire master/line/slave assembly because god forbid they would sell the parts individualy, so I got nailed for like $150 for what should have been a $20 plastic line that I broke on the trail. If you need a master or salve let me know, since I have both brand new since all I needed was the line. I'd give it to you for a reasonable price.

That being said, you should be able to get into gears WITHOUT the clutch if you get the engine up to the proper speed, this should work on anything but 1st, but it does take some practice, I had a lot of that on the 3 hour drive home when I broke that clutch line on a sunday.

-Jer
    1999 TJ Sahara (5 Speed!) FOR SALE pretty much stock again. >>Pics<<
    1981 CJ7 - R.I.P. -
    From Long Island? click here.

Maybe ice between tranny mount and skid plate.
    1999 TJ Sport. Rubicon Express 5.5" Long Arms. Rear tri-link , Rancho RS9000x shocks, 1'Currie BL & motor mounts, Rockrails, D44 ARB (4:88), HP D30 ARB (4:88), Warn hub conversion, O-Fab Sport Cage, 35's, York OBA, Warn XD9000i,TB spacer, relocated air temp sensor,Tera 2low, JB super short SYE...

My Jeep Page

Registered

thanks Jer for your offer. I'll take you up on that if I need the slave, or master. I crawled under it today and nothing seemed to be leaking, I pulled the plug on the side of the tranny and its full of fluid. The fluid did look a little light, but it was full for sure. It seems like it is something internal which will be big $ Not looking forward to that. Its getting towed to AAMCO tomorrow, I'm sick of pulling my hair out with this thing. Ill let you guys know what I find out..
    Thanks all

Registered

Well Brought the jeep to AAMCO this morning. After looking at it they said that all my hydralics are shot. Master cylinder, slave cylinder and some internal lines. Looking at $350 bucks. What a nice x-mas present The funny part is that the slave or master was not even leaking at all, just stopped working all of a sudden. Does anyone know what may have caused this to happen? The jeep only has 54000 on it.
    Thanks everyone for the input on this much appreciated..
    Happy Holidays, and Wheelin of course

They just said it's a 15 minute job. Don't let AAMCO rob you.
    94 XJ Country NP231 AW4, 145k miles
    Cooper Discoverer ST/AR767, front towhook, PIAA 40's and Hidden Hitch. 1.5" budget boost 10/08

They likely said the "entire system" was shot so they don't have figure out which component is the problem. If they replace it all, they have a higher probability of a first time fix, and a larger tab to give to you......
    98 TJ | 4.0L | GenRight Stretched | Built XJ D44 and HP30 | ARB's | 35" Krawlers | Allied RT Beadlocks | 9500i | OBA etc. | M416

Kentucky Krawlers Website