Thread: Best supercharger option for 5.2/5.9?

Question Best supercharger option for 5.2/5.9?

I know that there are alot of options for the Dodge Dakota/Ram, but what are the options for the grand cherokee? All i know of is the vortech kit, and from what i've heard it isnt all that impressive.

If we just put on a taller hood, there is one company that makes a 3" cowl hood out of fiberglass for ZJ's, would we be able to run the same superchargers that the dak's/ram's do?

Also what superchargers come with the best type of customer support from the company as well as the best engineering, and performance.
    98 5.9 Limited (my 2nd 5.9 and 3rd ZJ)
    Ice cream paint job
    Rear view mirror, Jumbo dice! Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice.

If I could have any charger on my Jeep I would want a Kenne-Bell or an ATI procharger. I am almost about ready to just say screw it and buy the ATI unit for the 5.9L Durango and get it custom fit on my Jeep!
    1998 5.9 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/almost every bolt on aside from a blower...Solid high 13 sec Jeep. NOW SOLD.

Just Sold..- 2004 E-Blue SRT4
    14.2 @ 101mph first run, best of 13.8 @ 103 stock
    Stage 2, Exhaust, and handling mods= 13.2 @ 107mph

New Car- 2011 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited
    Shopping For- Next Gen SRT-8.

Registered

Why don't you guys like the vortech's? I love them, I have herd of a few problems with ATI and their customer service sucks so I tend to stay away from them. I personally like vortech's customer service, there quality, ease of installation and adaptability. If any one is that interested in an ATI kit for there jeep drop me a PM, custom making a charge pipe with an air hat and blow off flange is nothing new to me.
    Chuck B
    (On the brakes)
    12.34@99

Jeep Video

Reigning "Street Wars" Champion
    Raceway Park NJ

93 ZJ, Transplanted 360, Vortech Supercharger (9psi), Mild cam, 1.6 Roller rockers, Borla headers, custom 3” exhaust, Level 10 transmission and Transfercase, MSD-6BTM Ignition, MSD Coil, AC Plugs, Accel wires, Custom cold/forced air intake from head light and a couple of other small things.

-=- originally posted by SleepnZJ -=-
    If any one is that interested in an ATI kit for there jeep drop me a PM, custom making a charge pipe with an air hat and blow off flange is nothing new to me.
    now to figure out a way to fit the intercooler in the zj... and im sold
    97 V8 ZJ Fully Loaded

intake:
    K&N FIPK2
    Custom Ram Air
    FASTMAN Ported TB (52mmx2)

exhaust:
    Mike Leach Performance Headers
    Full 3" exhaust w/ 3.5" tail
    HiFlow Cat
    Stock Muffler, flared inlet/outlet

electronic/misc:
    MSG Ignition Kit w/ Iridium plugs
    ASE Chip
    180* Stat

Registered

Already ahead of you
    Chuck B
    (On the brakes)
    12.34@99

Jeep Video

Reigning "Street Wars" Champion
    Raceway Park NJ

93 ZJ, Transplanted 360, Vortech Supercharger (9psi), Mild cam, 1.6 Roller rockers, Borla headers, custom 3” exhaust, Level 10 transmission and Transfercase, MSD-6BTM Ignition, MSD Coil, AC Plugs, Accel wires, Custom cold/forced air intake from head light and a couple of other small things.

ive been trying to conceive a turbocharged system for the v8 zj for quite a while now... the only place ive been able to come up to fit an intercooler in is right underneath the radiator (possibly at a slant). you'd have to take off the front metal bumber skid thing and basically replace that with the intercooler. what's you're idea?
    97 V8 ZJ Fully Loaded

intake:
    K&N FIPK2
    Custom Ram Air
    FASTMAN Ported TB (52mmx2)

exhaust:
    Mike Leach Performance Headers
    Full 3" exhaust w/ 3.5" tail
    HiFlow Cat
    Stock Muffler, flared inlet/outlet

electronic/misc:
    MSG Ignition Kit w/ Iridium plugs
    ASE Chip
    180* Stat

Registered

i believe there are is a way to modify a vortech aftercoller to fit magnums. I think KRC even has a kit on their website. If not i have looked into it and it appears that the aftercooler from a 5.0 mustang would be an easy adaptation. I dont know of the pros and cons of an aftercoller vs an intercooler but it would seem that they would have about the same effect, except for on long journies the aftercooler liquid would heat up, whereas the intercooler that pulls cold air while moving would continue even on long trips.

also an intecooler would take a bit more piping to work it all out. The aftercooler would fit neatly between the supercharger and the intake air hat.

just some ideas

Chris
    94 Silver Grand Limited - 18in OZ Racing Nova ST - 255/55/18 pirelli scorpion zero - H&R lowering springs - Edlebrock IAS - K&N Fipk - Borla Catback - ML Headers - 3in Carsound Cat - 180 degree T-stat - M1 intake - 24lb Navigator Injectors - 255lbh Walbro in tank fuel pump assembly - MP computer - MP 1.7 roller rockers - 5.9 E-Fan conversion - Kolak Ignition - Clear Corners - 2 Infinity Perfect 10.1 - Polk dB components - Alpine MRD-M500 - Alpine MRV-F340 - 1GHz epia in armrest computer

If you want full boost to come in early so that there's lots of torque at low revs, the Kenne-Bell unit is the best choice. The engineering behind this unit is superb.
    The Vortech centrifugal unit is also good but boost comes in more gradually to it tends to boost only at midrange and higher rpm rather than lower down as well.

Registered

I think the Vortech compliments the 5.9 very well. Boost comes on in the mid to upper RPMs with the centrifugal blower and that is usually where the 5.9 starts to fall on its face. A lot of people say mine feels a lot like a turbo because of where the boost comes in.

I like torque though so a roots or twin screw would be my ideal SC.

What happened to the ATI kit that was suppose to be out for the 5.9?

-=- originally posted by Potac -=-
    I think the Vortech compliments the 5.9 very well. Boost comes on in the mid to upper RPMs with the centrifugal blower and that is usually where the 5.9 starts to fall on its face.
    Exactly. And it can still be driven daily without much difference...but get into the throttle & hold on!
    04 G35c 6MT
    Injen CAI / Borla Cat Back / Stillen Sways / MRR GT-1s / 06 HLs
    1 3 5
    ├─┼─┼─┐
    2 4 6 R

Stroked & Blown Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.7 Limited
    408cid Stroker / Vortech / Ford 9" / 20 Pistons of stopping power
    492RWHP/526FTLBS

i guess i was referring more to a "kit" type of install. On vortechs site for the 5.2 and 5.9 engines they only show about a 90hp increase over stock, and while that is around 309hp on a 5.2 or 335 on a 5.9 i want more.

but chuck, dont you run a vortech on your 12 second jeep? I mean it seems like if you change the pulley and do some tweaking you shouldnt have a prob making big numbers with one. The only prob with a supercharger vs turbo is you have to power the supercharger which takes more fuel...
    but w/e its all hp anyways.

definitely looking into an intercooler setup if i go the supercharged route!
    98 5.9 Limited (my 2nd 5.9 and 3rd ZJ)
    Ice cream paint job
    Rear view mirror, Jumbo dice! Trunk hit hard like Kimbo Slice.

Registered

I've been trying to find a good one as well. I emailed Kenne Bell and asked if the Dakota one would work and their short answer was no. Different things are moved and there is an electronics difference. They weren't more clear than that. I think I could make it work though. Just have to find a different hood or modify the stocker.

-=- originally posted by ptownTSI -=-
    i guess i was referring more to a "kit" type of install. On vortechs site for the 5.2 and 5.9 engines they only show about a 90hp increase over stock, and while that is around 309hp on a 5.2 or 335 on a 5.9 i want more.

but chuck, dont you run a vortech on your 12 second jeep? I mean it seems like if you change the pulley and do some tweaking you shouldnt have a prob making big numbers with one. The only prob with a supercharger vs turbo is you have to power the supercharger which takes more fuel...
    but w/e its all hp anyways.

definitely looking into an intercooler setup if i go the supercharged route!
    You will be running a hell of a lot more than that. If you take your Headers, M1, 52mm TB, Exhaust, and the supercharger on that 5.9. I should be running pretty close to that now with no supercharger....perhaps 305-315 or so.
    1998 5.9 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited w/almost every bolt on aside from a blower...Solid high 13 sec Jeep. NOW SOLD.

-=- originally posted by ptownTSI -=-

The 90 HP increase is based on a 5.2 engine. It could give you more ( or less ) with the 5.9. Because they don't make a kit for the 5.9 they don't have any "potential hp increase" specs for their S/C on a Jeep 5.9 engine.

-=- originally posted by Potac -=-
    What happened to the ATI kit that was suppose to be out for the 5.9?
    I have their number programmed in my cell phone and call them at least once a month. I have probably spoke to every employee there and no one has a clue what I am talking about but they say to keep checking. I will continue to call untill they say they're definately not making one.

I do not know the name of the person that Mike had been dealing with, but they were supposedly working on the charger setup as a side project. It wasn't something that they were going to be focusing their efforts into on a full time basis like some of the other setups. They worked on it when they had nothing else going...eventually they would have a setup ready to go. I am quite frankly sick of holding my breath though. Like I said earlier...maybe a custom setup would be the way to go. The only issue you would end up with would be emmissions, if they do a visual test that is.

Also, for a good estimate on what a Vortech would put out on a COMPLETELY STOCK SETUP on the 5.9L motor. I have posted a link below. Obviously other mods would make a big difference....especially headers, M1, exhaust, and TB. By the time it is said and done I think you would be looking around 400 hp and 450lb of torque with stock boost (provided you did other mods).

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...0159truck.html

Registered

have a look here

URL=http://www.krcperformance.com/newcontent/dyno.html

Scroll down to 318 Wild : 435/418 ft/lbs (of course it blew the head gaskets getting there hmmmmm

Shows the potential for a 318 and a Vortech