Thread: Transfer case leak, want to add Lucas Oil transmission fix.

Registered

Default Transfer case leak, want to add Lucas Oil transmission fix.

I changed the oil in my transfer case and it is now leaking small drop once a day. I picked up some Lucas Oil transmission fix. I called Lucas Oil and the guy said just put the whole 24oz. in the transfer case.

Anyone ever do this?

Opinions?

Thanks

That seems excessive. I suspect that they thought you meant tranmission not transfer despite what you told them. As for Lucas products I know we sell a lot of it at the store (NAPA). I personally have used the engine one a couple times, seems to almost eliminate engine pinging in the Durango.
    98 TJ-waiting it's turn to be converted to V8 LJ
    99 WJ Limited v8, Tera 4", 265 Swamper Trxus Mt's, NV242HD swap-SOLD
    90 YJ lifted-4.3 vortec
    89 XJ chevy 350 lifted-SOLD
    ASE Master Tech http://community.webshots.com/user/extremeoffroad

1st determine where the leak is comming from. Just spray it with the garden hose. May be very easy to fix with a wrench or new gasket for the Speed Sensor.

2nd check if your transfer case "requires" the special Mopar fluid. I think the 249 requires this fluid, but I would not add Lucas Tranny Fix to this, especially 24oz which is about half the capacity.

If you have the 242 or 231 Transfer Case, I would use the Lucas Power Steering Additive. Use only 4oz and it may take 3 months to stop leaking. Lucas says this is the same stuff as the tranny fix yet in a concentrated form. I used 6-8oz of this in my tranny which fixed my rear tranny output seal from a slow leak -5 months to fix, dry now for another 5 months.
    1994 ZJ/1995 4.0; NP231; LS 3.73; Aux.Trans cooler; MSD/Magnecor; Headlight Harness; K&N; EdelbrockIAS/ProCompES9000 F/R

Registered

make sure the breather vent filter is not plugged, if this is a 247, a plugged filter will cause the tcase to leak.

Registered

Back in the early 90's when i use to manage an automotive collection of cars, we would put in the Lucas Oil to prevent some of the old Rolls Royces from smoking upon startup and it did work. If the leak is small enough a chemical like Lucas's should work, but if it's much worse leak, then only a gasket replacement will work.

It's worth a try if you dont want to take the TC apart and replace whatever gasket is leaking.
    1993 V8 ZJ - All stock (for the moment)

Registered

It is a 242 case. It only started dripping after I changed the fluid. Very slow drip. Maybe once every day or two. Old fluid was dirty, new fluid clean and thinner so it leaks.

How much should I add?