Thread: Loose steering, How to fix?

Registered

Default Loose steering, How to fix?

Hey guys. I recently lifted my jeep another 2" and my steering feels really loose. I've heard about an adjusting screw on the steering box that you can adjust and tighten it up but I haven't been able to find it. Is this true and if so where on the steering box is it? I'm planning on getting an alighnment really soon. WIll this make a difference? Any other opinoins greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help

Default Re: Loose steering, How to fix?

-=- originally posted by lostcreek21 -=-
    I'm planning on getting an alighnment really soon. WIll this make a difference?
    Um yeah it makes a big difference :bangnerd:
    The screws you are refering to are probably the steering stops that adjust the turning radius of the vehicle and prevent rubbing on the lca. How much lift do you have now? If you added 2 more I'll assume you are at 5" of lift. At that height I hope you have an adjustable trackbar and adjustable controll arms. An alignment is cruecial to the handling charactoristics of a vehichle and any change in lift will but it out of spec.
    CW
    '89 xj, stroked and on 36's.......

North American XJ Association
    4City4x4

Registered

No I'm not talking about the steering stops. I'm talking about the adjustment screw on top of the steering box. I found it but it won't budge. I haven't added 2" yet, I've only added 1". I'm going to add the other tomorrow. I don't have an adjustable trac-bar yet but planning to get one when my money lets me.
    Now back to the adjusting screw. It is an allen wrench and I tried to move it but it won't move at all. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get this thing adjusted? Thanks

Registered

You don't want to screw with that screw. You can destroy your box if you adjust it wrong.

You need an alignment. Period. However, you can't get back to spec if you don't have adjustable or longer LCA assuming your NOT talking about a 1 -2 inch lift total over stock.
    - 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 W/W 6x6, Multifuel Engine
    - 1995 YJ 4.0L / NV3500 / NV231 from an 03 TJ, 31' MTRs
    - 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2DR 4.0L Auto
    - 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L Auto

Registered

I've heard that stock control arms at let's say 4-5" will only cause your castor to be off. Is this true?

Registered

hmm... It will tilt your front axle facing more towards the ground. That causes loose steering... It's like lifting the rear 5" and keeping the front stock. I did that for a week. Not too fun.

Registered

And with the stock steering setup (and currently aligned for no lift) and then lifting 4-5", it will cause your tires to toe in... A lot...

Registered

K cool thanks. I have it 5" in the back and 4" in the front right now (soon to be 5" tomorrow). I'll put the rest in tomorrow and drill a new hole for my trac-bar then get it aligned. Thanks for all the help Bottleworks

Default castor

Dude your steering is loose because your castor is fubared!! When i was first sittin at 5.5 my jeep was outa control with an alignment. Then i got my drop brackets and ahhhhhhh so much better!!! tight steerin and a great ride. better than my moms 2000, and mine has 227k on it!!
    88 MJ 6.5" and 35's 4 parts jeeps 2003 TRD Tundra(DD) :stormchas

Default Re: Loose steering, How to fix?

-=- originally posted by lostcreek21 -=-
    Hey guys. I recently lifted my jeep another 2" and my steering feels really loose. I've heard about an adjusting screw on the steering box that you can adjust and tighten it up but I haven't been able to find it. Is this true and if so where on the steering box is it? I'm planning on getting an alighnment really soon. WIll this make a difference? Any other opinoins greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help
    sloppy steering syndrome http://www.olypen.com/craigh/stbox.htm