Thread: How hard is it to put a 350 in a CJ?

Default How hard is it to put a 350 in a CJ?

First, let me say I know nothing about CJ's, other than I really like them. I want some sort of hot rod as a weekend driver...but I'm just not a car kind of person. I think a CJ with a 350 would be just what I want. How hard is it/how much does it cost to put a 350 into a CJ? I'll be looking for something pre 1975 to avoid the emissions police...

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!

Registered

One thing you could look for if you just want a V8 would be a CJ that already has a 304 in it. I think they started putting them in around 72. I'm pretty happy with my 304 it has that V8 sound & more power than I need I also know a guy that put a AMC 360 in place of the 304 & it ran pretty good. Just a thought if you wanted to save some work. That said the 350 is kinda cool & my uncle has a 327 in a blazer that is going to get stabbed in a CJ someday when we get around to it.
    Here is a page about a 350 swap
    81 CJ7 304 Anybody else from KS?

Registered

350s are easy to install especially if you are going with a carb one. I have a TBI fuel injected engine in my jeep and even that was easy to install. All you need is a engine and an adapter to the tranny. Just make sure the tranny and transfercase can handle the extra power. Especially if it isn't a stock 350. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

~Kirk

It is quite expensive but was well worth the conversion efforts for me...
    350/TH350/Dana 20

Bombproof mounts 200.00
    Tranny to x-fer case adapters 350.00
    shorty headers 50.00
    Lokar shifter 200.00
    Custom Dual flowmasters 300.00
    Tom woods driveshaft 380.00
    Misc. hoses,nuts bolts,belts,etc..300.00
    I sold alot of parts to offset the cost of the conversion...
    I also pulled the rear and had A 4.56 gear put in and had the tubes welded.
    It is not A job for the faint hearted...
    You will get pissed, you will wish at times that you would not have started the project..
    Good Luck

-=- originally posted by tkojeep -=-
    350s are easy to install especially if you are going with a carb one.

~Kirk
    I would agree except that you want to watch the year. You don't want the "early" (1971 and earlier) CJ since the engine bay is 3" shorter than the later CJ's. That 3" makes a huge difference. Not that a 350 can't be put in an early CJ, it is just much easier with a little more space.

Since you are after a "hot rod" I would suggest a CJ7 anyway due to the longer wheelbase. My short wheelbase '48 gets a little hairy with all that power..........

So the good news is that with a little $$ you can buy bolt in everything. With a little you can fab up your own stuff for cheap.........
    Forgive your enemies.
    It messes with their heads

Registered

Or you can forget all of the adapters...all the mods and simply drop a 360 AMC v8 into a jeep that either had a 304 (easiest) or a 258 I6 (still easy, just need the engine mount on one side from a cj w/304..can be tricky to find). Either way, much much easier and cheaper than 350 Chevy....if you have unlimited budget though, 350 Chevy would be cool. My 360 is getting painted up this weekend....hope to have it running by spring (lots of other work I'm doing on the side on it as well..ie. suspension lift etc. etc.)
    "Geez...this adds up quick..." -Me

1983 Cj-7 w/newly installed 360 v8 and newly installed TF999 auto, 2.5" BDS, PSC steering box, heater motor upgrade, new seats, TFI, Mickey Thompson 15x10 rims, Mickey Thompson MTX 32" tires, B&M floor shifter. FINALLY have it running again after 3 years!!!!!!!!!!
    1980 Cj-7...parts jeep...whats left will be sold this summer

Registered

I just keep thinking of that little jingle:

"401.....401......401" Some about taking a ride in my "401"

If it's not on the trail, and not lifted, go all out.
    Words to live by:
    A gun a day keeps the liberals away.

Website of mine:
    http://www.angelfire.com/mech/mapitc0/index.html

Jeep on ebay:

AMC builds a very poor V-8 engine with limited after market parts to boost its power...Very poor oiling system and non adjustable valve system makes it difficult with cam options...
    Build A Chevy if you want brute hot rod power with simplicity and ease of parts...

-=- originally posted by PovertyByJeep -=-
    Since you are after a "hot rod" I would suggest a CJ7 anyway due to the longer wheelbase. My short wheelbase '48 gets a little hairy with all that power..........
    What year did the CJ7 come out? I have to go pre '75 to be able to put a 350 in it...strict emissions testing around here. I want a 350 because of the availability of parts, and it will probably be fuel injected for better gas mileage.

Also...is there an automatic tranny that fits the 350 without an adapter and fits into the CJ nicely? I know "automatic" and "hot rod" don't usually go together, but.......

Thanks guys...

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!

Registered

-=- originally posted by ZmOz -=-
    What year did the CJ7 come out? I have to go pre '75 to be able to put a 350 in it...strict emissions testing around here. I want a 350 because of the availability of parts, and it will probably be fuel injected for better gas mileage.

Also...is there an automatic tranny that fits the 350 without an adapter and fits into the CJ nicely? I know "automatic" and "hot rod" don't usually go together, but.......

Thanks guys...
    The CJ7 was the 1st swb Jeep to have an auto & it had a GM TH400. The bad news is it came out in 76 (I think) I believe the 5 was short enough that they never offered it with an auto. But if you have to be older than 76 & want an auto maybe you can find a 350 with an auto & transfer case at a salvage yard. With a CV driveline you might be able to shoe horn it in a 5
    81 CJ7 304 Anybody else from KS?

Registered
    LongIsland.. its an island of asphault hell.. yea i hate it

its not very hard to put a carbereted 350 in, especially if you bring over the tranny and Xfer case, this will definately save you cash.. but it will cost some cash i dont remember how much i spent.

Personally i love the Sm465, great for a jeep, the Xfer cases that came with this combo however i dont like, time for either an atlas or an adapted d300.

Our biggest hangup when we slapped the GM into my CJ was the front driveshaft, solution: took the rear driveshaft from a V8 SJ and modified it to work on my jeep.
    1995 XJ, 4.0/AX15.. starten the build!
    1985 CJ7... SBC350/465/T221, 6pnt cage w/4pnt harness's. SOA , F&R FF D44's, 35's, RIP
    1988 XJ-7... badass rig, sold
    1973 CJ5... frame up project, sold