Thread: TSB 03-05-00 works great!

Registered

Post TSB 03-05-00 works great!

Yay! I had 03-05-00 done on my Jeep and it works great! Initially, I did have rough downshifting from OD2 and when shifting into drive from park/neutral. I would have turned around and taken it back to the dealer if I wasn't in a hurry to get to a meeting.... But anyhow, after driving it for a day the rough shifts completely disappeared! No more hum at 70! I do notice wind/road noise more now that the hum isn't drowning it out anymore. Oh well....

Quick question - what's the final gear ratio in OD2? Does anybody know? Peter?

------------------
    John Kua
    2K Limited 4.7L V8, QD, UC, Taupe Frost/Taupe
    John Kua
    2K WJ Limited
    4.7L V8, QD, UC, Taupe Frost/Taupe
    Addco F/R Sway Bars, Stillen F/R Rotors and Pads, Kolak Lighting Harness, Nokia Car Kit

Registered

Angry

You lucky man!

That TSB doesn't exist in the UK according to Jeep.

------------------
    • Rik
    • Honda Jazz 4x4
    • BMW Z3 2.8
    • 1999 WJ 4.7 Limited
    • 2003 BMW X5 3.0d Sport
    • 2002 Freelander 3 dr ES Td4 auto
    • 1999 BMW Z3 2.8

Registered

Thumbs up

Based on the RPM change I believe that the OD2 ratio is .65 as compared to .75 for OD1. You could confirm this by looking at the specs for the 2001 model.

I'm also happy with the transmission performance after the upgrade. Now if they could just fix the groan from the rear end during tight turns...new bearings are on order for the differential. Hopefully that will do the trick.

------------------
    --John

'99 JGC Laredo 28F, Taupe Frost,
    V8, Quadra-Drive, Up Country,
    Towing, K&N Drop-In,
    Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
    Stillen Brake Rotors

Registered

Rik,

I hear you guy get real wood trim on your dash in the UK, is that true? Sorry about the TSB problem, I would think that they would apply worldwide.....

Pennhaven,

I'll have to go dig up the brochure I have on the '01. You're probably right though.

------------------
    John Kua
    John Kua
    2K WJ Limited
    Addco F/R Sway Bars, Stillen F/R Rotors and Pads, Kolak Lighting Harness, Nokia Car Kit

Registered

John - where did you take your WJ? I've tried to get work done at Falore, but they gave me the major run-around. Can you recommend a good shop in the area?

Thanks!
    Martin

------------------
    Y2K WJ LTD in Silverstone/Agate w/ 4.7 V8, Up Country, Quadra-Drive, Tow, 3" Kolak Y-back, 2" BB, RS9000 w/ in-cab adjuster, Stillen Brakes - Front and Rear, Kenne-Bell TS7000 blower running about 7 psi boost.
    1997 Blue/White Viper GTS - Lots 'o mods.
    1985 Bronco - 200,000+ miles and it runs like new!
    1971 Firebird - Dropped in a 455 SD that's built to the hilt. Dyno'd at 575 HP.
    Y2K WJ LTD in Silverstone/Agate w/ 4.7 V8, Up Country, Quadra-Drive, Tow, 3" Kolak Y-back, 2" BB, RS9000 w/ in-cab adjuster, Stillen Brakes - Front and Rear, Kenne-Bell TS7000 blower running about 7 psi boost, auxiliary engine oil and transmission coolers, High-Flow Stainless Flex-Fan, Mopar Rock Rails, Addco Sway Bars..
    1997 Blue/White Viper GTS - Lots 'o mods.
    1985 Bronco - 200,000+ miles and it runs like new!
    1971 Firebird - Dropped in a 455 SD that's built to the hilt. Dyno'd at 575 HP.

Registered

Martin,

I took it to Normandin Chrysler on Capitol Expwy. My service writer was Fred. I just told him that "something in the front is humming/resonating when I'm driving on the highway at about 70MPH/2400RPM on the tach" and that "I believe there is a service bulletin that fixes this." Normandin fixes alot of Jeeps and if they don't know about the TSB from the moment I mention "humming at 2400RPM", they don't deserve to be a dealership. But anyways, everything went smoothly, though they had to keep my Jeep overnight.

I've been thinking about haveing 03-03-00 done, but I don't really notice any noise from the rear... and if it ain't broke, don't fix it (ancient engineering proverb)

Hope this helps!

------------------
    John Kua
    John Kua
    2K WJ Limited

Registered

Falore sucks,

I bought my WJ there and the sale people were OK, but the service department sucks. Example: I just wanted to pick up a replacment bulb for my fog light. They would not sell me one unless I brought it in and let them install it under warranty. Fine, however, I had to leave it for the whole day just for the damn bulb. I went to Joe Kerly and bought the bulb and installed it myself in about 5 minutes.
    2000 WJ, Patriot Blue, V8

Just had the TSB done today at John Irish in San Rafael. I made an appointment two days ago, hoping to have only the TCM flash done to take advantage of that 2nd OD gear for the Xmas trek home; all I told 'em was that my WJ had the standard "groan" between 65-75 that they all do, and that I'd heard a fix was available. No arguing, no selling 'em on the TSB, they said they'd look into it. I go to pick up the Jeep this evening and they'd done the complete TSB, new front driveshaft and all! I'm surprised they actually had the parts in stock. All in all, a painless process, and man does it work! The only things I can hear at freeway speeds now are the engine softly purring, the fan from the climate control and (most noticeably) wind noise. Up to 80 mph on the way home, no groans, no whines accelerating/decelerating, nada.

The only thing is, without all that audible feedback, I'm gonna have to get me a Kolak exhaust just for the reassuring sound from the Flowmaster!

------------------
    Matt J.
    Y2K WJ Limited V8/QD/UC/GpIV, Steel Blue/Agate, Custom Steel Mesh Grille
    '85 XJ Pioneer 2.5L, Stock, Retirement-Ready
    '00 WJ Ltd V8/QD/UC/GpIV, Steel Blue/Agate, Home Depot Grille, Kolak headlight harness, PIAA SuperWhites, 2" Tera BB, 245/75/16 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2s, OME Nitrocharger shocks, Addco rear sway bar. In progress: OME SS. Planned: K&N FIPK, Kolak exhaust
    '85 XJ [RIP]

Registered

Do not take your Jeep to Falore. I recall a guy on the forum about a year ago that took his Jeep there to get the transmission fluid chnaged. Well they forgot to put tranny fluid in it, and the tranny burned up. There was something else they screwed up also, but it escapes my mind.

Registered

Red face

does this apply to 97 GC's laredos 4.o litre
    anyones input would be helpful????
    thanks bryan in VA..
    also where did ur hum seem to originate from
    Bryan in VA
    2004 white 4.0 laredo!..all stock still.
    1997 zj 4.0 219000 miles and retired.
    2001 5.9 dakota,all factory options included
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "What did we really accomplish in IRAQ"

Registered

JeepinBA,

This TSB is only for 99-2000 WJs, not the older ZJs. It seemed to be a problem where the transmission and drive shaft resonate at about 2400 rpm, which is a problem as that corresponds to about 70 mph, when one is cruising down the freeway. The update replaces the front driveshaft (I assume one with different resonance properties) and flashes the transmission control module to take advantage of a 2nd overdrive gear which was previously unused. This drops the rpms to about 2000 rpm at 70 mph.

------------------
    John Kua
    John Kua
    2K WJ Limited